Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have two NICS in a workstation which runs the Windows/Java Admin Console. One NIC is open and bound to a public IP, the second NIC is open and bound to a private IP. I can login to the Media ...

  1. Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console

    I have two NICS in a workstation which runs the Windows/Java Admin
    Console. One NIC is open and bound to a public IP, the second NIC is
    open and bound to a private IP. I can login to the Media Server OK, but
    cannot login to the server. The Java screen on the server console
    reports the login OK, then reports a series of connection timeouts due
    to the media server trying to establish contact with the Public IP of
    the workstation. How do I force the Media Server to only connect to the
    private IP of the workstation?

    Chip Reinhardt

  2. Re: Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console

    Chip
    > I have two NICS in a workstation which runs the Windows/Java Admin
    > Console. One NIC is open and bound to a public IP, the second NIC is
    > open and bound to a private IP. I can login to the Media Server OK, but
    > cannot login to the server. The Java screen on the server console
    > reports the login OK, then reports a series of connection timeouts due
    > to the media server trying to establish contact with the Public IP of
    > the workstation. How do I force the Media Server to only connect to the
    > private IP of the workstation?

    Hmmm, not sure, aside from making sure that the media server has the
    private IP of the workstation in the NDMPSVRS.DAT & HOSTS files. Does
    the media server have multiple NICs too?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console

    Michael,

    Both the workstation and the Media Server have two NICs. However, I
    solved the problem. I installed the Admin Console to another
    workstation with only one NIC, and it worked like a charm. Will be
    testing my backups with the new setup tonight.

    Chip Reinhardt

    Michael wrote:

    >Chip
    >

    >>I have two NICS in a workstation which runs the Windows/Java Admin
    >>Console. One NIC is open and bound to a public IP, the second NIC is
    >>open and bound to a private IP. I can login to the Media Server OK, but
    >>cannot login to the server. The Java screen on the server console
    >>reports the login OK, then reports a series of connection timeouts due
    >>to the media server trying to establish contact with the Public IP of
    >>the workstation. How do I force the Media Server to only connect to the
    >>private IP of the workstation?
    >>

    >Hmmm, not sure, aside from making sure that the media server has the
    >private IP of the workstation in the NDMPSVRS.DAT & HOSTS files. Does
    >the media server have multiple NICs too?
    >
    >Michael

  4. Re: Two NICS in workstation with Admin Console

    Chip
    > I installed the Admin Console to another
    > workstation with only one NIC, and it worked like a charm.

    Sounds about right

    BTW, if you're backing up remote servers from that media server, and
    want to use the private LAN, see:

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"