Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM - Veritas Backup Exec ; On one remote client server I get this message when trying to use bestop - Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM. There is a greater problem because it is messing with Backup Exec as a whole also. If I reboot this ...

  1. Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    On one remote client server I get this message when trying to use bestop -
    Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM. There is a greater problem because it
    is messing with Backup Exec as a whole also. If I reboot this server and
    don't load Backup Exec I can use the admin console and see all my server
    and set backup jobs. When I run backup exec on this bad server the admin
    console hangs on trying to find the remote servers. Any ideas on why it
    won't unload and what it is doing to mess up Backup Exec as a whole? Thanks.

  2. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    Aaron,
    Last time I checked with Veritas, this file isn't needed in my case. It
    is some kind of opensource file - they were kind of gray on what it did.
    I removed it because when I stopped backup exec, and tried to start, I would
    get the famous port error. Contact them in regards to this file. I think
    that was the name of the file that I was having an issue with.

    Cade

    -
    >Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM. There is a greater problem because it
    >is messing with Backup Exec as a whole also. If I reboot this server and
    >don't load Backup Exec I can use the admin console and see all my server
    >and set backup jobs. When I run backup exec on this bad server the admin
    >console hangs on trying to find the remote servers. Any ideas on why it
    >won't unload and what it is doing to mess up Backup Exec as a whole? Thanks.

  3. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    NDMPD.NLM is the daemon for NDMP, which is the protocol BE uses to
    communicate with its agents (except Unix/Linux).

    What version/build of Backup Exec? What version of NetWare, including
    Support Pack?

    -Barry.

  4. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    The only reason you wouldn't need this is if you have a single media
    server and no remote agents. NDPMD is protocol daemon used by BE to
    communicate between media server and agents. It's not open source, but
    it's an open standard. NDMP = Network Data Management Protocol.

    -Barry.

  5. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    Barry
    > The only reason you wouldn't need this is if you have a single media
    > server and no remote agents. NDPMD is protocol daemon used by BE to
    > communicate between media server and agents. It's not open source,
    > but it's an open standard. NDMP = Network Data Management Protocol.

    Actually, whilst that's true, even if you only have a media server you
    still need NDMPD.NLM - it's also the tape server.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    Aaron
    > When I run backup exec on this bad server the admin
    > console hangs on trying to find the remote servers.

    This could be a bad entry in NDMPSVRS.DAT, or even something wrong in
    your SLP configuration. If you can provide the info that Barry asked
    for, that'd help a bit.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  7. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    In article ,
    Michael wrote:

    > ...you still need NDMPD.NLM - it's also the tape server.

    \ /
    -(~)-
    =

    Suddenly things are a bit clearer...

    -Barry.

  8. Re: Unable to unload module NDMPD.NLM

    Barry