extremly slow restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on extremly slow restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore something from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan. I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference, ...

  1. extremly slow restore

    Hello,
    ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore something
    from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan.
    I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference, also did
    SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF, no noticable difference.
    The actual backup is reasonably fast but isnt amazing either for 100Mbit,
    only 2-4MB/sec
    The volume i'm trying to restore is compressed, the target volume has
    compression also.
    Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of BE with netware 6 ?

    -
    Arjan

  2. Re: extremly slow restore

    I have a very similar if not identical issue that I'm trying to get
    sorted. I have an open support case with Veritas and I'm dealing with a
    call centre in India, which is not the easiest - cheap doesn't always
    make better!!!

    I too get relatively good backup speed but the restore is painful, I
    also get an issue with Media server and target server CPU solid at 93%
    making both boxes unusable. Both boxes on a common gigabit line card and
    my workstation in the same card (Cisco Cat4)

    Do you have any issues with a sloooooow client front end too?

    Gavin.

    Arjan wrote:
    > Hello,
    > ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore something
    > from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan.
    > I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference, also did
    > SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF, no noticable difference.
    > The actual backup is reasonably fast but isnt amazing either for 100Mbit,
    > only 2-4MB/sec
    > The volume i'm trying to restore is compressed, the target volume has
    > compression also.
    > Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of BE with netware 6 ?
    >
    > -
    > Arjan

  3. Re: extremly slow restore

    If by client front end you mean the windows management console for BE, then
    yes.
    Allthough after i reinstalled BE on the server from scratch the windows
    console loads in faster then it used to, but it still takes 5 minutes to
    submit / load a job or browse servers.

    -
    Arjan

    "Gavin" schreef in bericht news:422c7539@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > I have a very similar if not identical issue that I'm trying to get
    > sorted. I have an open support case with Veritas and I'm dealing with a
    > call centre in India, which is not the easiest - cheap doesn't always
    > make better!!!
    >
    > I too get relatively good backup speed but the restore is painful, I
    > also get an issue with Media server and target server CPU solid at 93%
    > making both boxes unusable. Both boxes on a common gigabit line card and
    > my workstation in the same card (Cisco Cat4)
    >
    > Do you have any issues with a sloooooow client front end too?
    >
    > Gavin.
    >

    > Arjan wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore

    something
    > > from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan.
    > > I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference, also

    did
    > > SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF, no noticable difference.
    > > The actual backup is reasonably fast but isnt amazing either for

    100Mbit,
    > > only 2-4MB/sec
    > > The volume i'm trying to restore is compressed, the target volume has
    > > compression also.
    > > Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of BE with netware

    6 ?

    > > -
    > > Arjan

  4. Re: extremly slow restore

    Almsot forgot, cpu maxes out on both the backup and the destination server,
    but because the restore server has HT it doesnt clog everything up
    thankfully.

    -
    Arjan

    "Arjan" schreef in bericht news:422c82b2@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > If by client front end you mean the windows management console for BE,

    then
    > yes.
    > Allthough after i reinstalled BE on the server from scratch the windows
    > console loads in faster then it used to, but it still takes 5 minutes to
    > submit / load a job or browse servers.
    >
    > -
    > Arjan
    >
    > "Gavin" schreef in bericht news:422c7539@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > > I have a very similar if not identical issue that I'm trying to get
    > > sorted. I have an open support case with Veritas and I'm dealing with a
    > > call centre in India, which is not the easiest - cheap doesn't always
    > > make better!!!
    > >
    > > I too get relatively good backup speed but the restore is painful, I
    > > also get an issue with Media server and target server CPU solid at 93%
    > > making both boxes unusable. Both boxes on a common gigabit line card and
    > > my workstation in the same card (Cisco Cat4)
    > >
    > > Do you have any issues with a sloooooow client front end too?
    > >
    > > Gavin.
    > >

    > > Arjan wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > > ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore

    > something
    > > > from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan.
    > > > I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference,

    also
    > did
    > > > SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF, no noticable difference.
    > > > The actual backup is reasonably fast but isnt amazing either for

    > 100Mbit,
    > > > only 2-4MB/sec
    > > > The volume i'm trying to restore is compressed, the target volume has
    > > > compression also.
    > > > Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of BE with

    netware
    > 6 ?
    > > >
    > > > -
    > > > Arjan

  5. Re: extremly slow restore

    The only way I've found round this problem is to:

    Restore the data onto the Media server itself to a temp location and
    then file copy to the destination. Not the best solution, but the data
    restores at 145mb/min to media server.

    I am going to persist with Veritas support until this gets resolved, i
    will let you know how I get on + any useful advice I may glean.

    Gavin.

    Arjan wrote:
    > Almsot forgot, cpu maxes out on both the backup and the destination server,
    > but because the restore server has HT it doesnt clog everything up
    > thankfully.
    >
    > -
    > Arjan
    >
    > "Arjan" schreef in bericht news:422c82b2@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >
    >>If by client front end you mean the windows management console for BE,

    > then
    >
    >>yes.
    >>Allthough after i reinstalled BE on the server from scratch the windows
    >>console loads in faster then it used to, but it still takes 5 minutes to
    >>submit / load a job or browse servers.
    >>
    >>-
    >>Arjan
    >>
    >>"Gavin" schreef in bericht news:422c7539@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >>>I have a very similar if not identical issue that I'm trying to get
    >>>sorted. I have an open support case with Veritas and I'm dealing with a
    >>>call centre in India, which is not the easiest - cheap doesn't always
    >>>make better!!!
    >>>
    >>>I too get relatively good backup speed but the restore is painful, I
    >>>also get an issue with Media server and target server CPU solid at 93%
    >>>making both boxes unusable. Both boxes on a common gigabit line card and
    >>>my workstation in the same card (Cisco Cat4)
    >>>
    >>>Do you have any issues with a sloooooow client front end too?
    >>>
    >>>Gavin.

    >>something

    > also
    >
    >>did

    >>100Mbit,

    > netware
    >
    >>6 ?

  6. Re: extremly slow restore

    Gavin wrote:
    > I have a very similar if not identical issue that I'm trying to get
    > sorted. I have an open support case with Veritas and I'm dealing with a
    > call centre in India, which is not the easiest - cheap doesn't always
    > make better!!!
    >
    > I too get relatively good backup speed but the restore is painful, I
    > also get an issue with Media server and target server CPU solid at 93%
    > making both boxes unusable. Both boxes on a common gigabit line card and
    > my workstation in the same card (Cisco Cat4)
    >
    > Do you have any issues with a sloooooow client front end too?
    >
    > Gavin.
    >

    > Arjan wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> ive got BE 9.1 on a netware 6 sp5 server, while trying to restore
    >> something
    >> from an ultrium tape im getting amazing 45KB/sec on a 100mbit lan.
    >> I tried switching from tsafs to tsa600 but that made no difference,
    >> also did
    >> SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF, no noticable difference.
    >> The actual backup is reasonably fast but isnt amazing either for 100Mbit,
    >> only 2-4MB/sec
    >> The volume i'm trying to restore is compressed, the target volume has
    >> compression also.
    >> Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of BE with
    >> netware 6 ?
    >>
    >> -
    >> Arjan

    I encountered the exact same problem when restoring to a remote server.
    The servers are all Netware 6.0 SP5 with the TSAUP17.exe patch, BE 9.1
    1152, Intel gigabit NICs. Backup speeds are good but restores would max
    out the processors on both servers and throughput would slow to a crawl.
    I tried both TSA600 & TSAFS but the problems were the same. I finally
    gave up and attached the tape drive to the destination server, installed
    BE and restored locally. I'd love to know what you find out!

  7. Re: extremly slow restore

    I thought about that also, but the backup server doesnt have a disk big
    enough to restore the amount of data i need to restore :-)
    If i find anything i'll put it here also.

    -
    Arjan

    "Gavin" schreef in bericht news:422c8689@ROSASTDMZ05....

    and

    > >>something

    > > also
    > >
    > >>did

    > >>100Mbit,

    > > netware
    > >
    > >>6 ?

  8. Re: extremly slow restore

    We run NW 6.5 SP2 BE 9.1.
    To do a restore (for GroupWise) I put in newer nlms provided in tsaup15.exe? (see TIDs on novell website)

    I have restored a GroupWise post office 31GB in around 35mins!!!! But that it from the tape drive to the servers local disk (I am using the backup servers disk as the restore point for GroupWise not restoring back over the GroupWise server). However these nlms are too slow for backing up so I end up changing nlms back to older ones for backing up. It is a pain, but for those restore speeds it is worth it!!!

    For restore tsafs.nlm 14/12/2004
    tsands.nlm 3/2/2004
    smsstart.ncf 5/10/2004
    smsstop.ncf 2/9/2004
    smsut.nlm 14/12/2004
    smdr.nlm 14/10/2004

    I run bestop smsstop and then rename the current "backup nlms and ncfs" and put in the above.
    Run smsstart and bestart and then run the restore.

    The reason it was suggested I move to this tsaup15.exe set were because tsafs kept giving me permission errors on a restore. The veritas guys recognised it as a problem with the tsafs module.

    hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread