Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, Just wondering if I am missing something here but I am having real problems trying to restore individual files from more than just a few days ago. I search the catalogs for 'file.txt' and it gives me a ...

  1. Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups

    Hi All,

    Just wondering if I am missing something here but I am having real problems
    trying to restore individual files from more than just a few days ago.

    I search the catalogs for 'file.txt' and it gives me a list of thousands of
    options. But the problem is that some of our tapes get overwritten each
    week and they still appear in the list. So I have to go through and work
    out which tapes still exist and which have been overwritten. This a
    particular problem with the backup-to-disk media.

    Does anyone know of limiting the catalogs to just the media that still
    exists? I must be missing something surely!!

    Cheers

    Matt

  2. Re: Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups

    From the BE Admin Console at the server go to Options|Media
    Server|Catalog. There you can set how many days to keep catalogs.

    Other than that, you can go to Media|Catalog View. You can delete
    individual catalog files from there.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups

    Ok, thanks Barry.

    Does anyone know of a way of searching only the media that exist. I am
    trying to get a way to list all the versions of a file that I can get my
    hands on.

    Cheers

    Matt

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > From the BE Admin Console at the server go to Options|Media
    > Server|Catalog. There you can set how many days to keep catalogs.
    >
    > Other than that, you can go to Media|Catalog View. You can delete
    > individual catalog files from there.
    >
    > -Barry.

  4. Re: Removing Catalogs of Overwritten Backups

    From the BE Admin Console at the server go to Media|Volume View. Find
    the volume where the file exists/existed and [Enter]. You'll get a
    list of backup sets that you can search (press [space] to select, [F10]
    to search).

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread