Checksum errors - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Checksum errors - Veritas Backup Exec ; During verification after a full back up, we note that there are multiple checksum errors on a variety of files and file types. Some of which are Groupwise files. Is the OFM required to get rid of this error? Would ...

  1. Checksum errors

    During verification after a full back up, we note that there are multiple
    checksum errors on a variety of files and file types.

    Some of which are Groupwise files. Is the OFM required to get rid of this
    error?

    Would it also resolve other possible Open files? During verification,
    clearly files will change from the time of backup to the time of
    verification.

    Any thoughts on resolving this?

  2. Re: Checksum errors

    Robert
    > During verification, clearly files will change from the time of backup to the time of
    > verification.

    That's not how verify works in Backup Exec - there's no comparison to
    the files on the filesystem made.

    What actually happens is that during the backup, a checksum of the file
    is generated and written to tape with the file. When you come to verify,
    all BE does is a read of the tape generating a fresh checksum of the
    file - if that doesn't match the checksum that's written to tape during
    the backup, then you get a "checksum verification" error.

    See:

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Checksum errors

    Thanks, will check that out and post back.

    >>> Michael 02/22/05 12:38 PM >>>

    Robert