Fun with Unix Agent - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Fun with Unix Agent - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have been wrestling with an issue with the Unix Agent for some time now, but I've finally got a handle on it and thought I'd pass along my findings. On one of our Redhat boxes the programmers built a ...

  1. Fun with Unix Agent

    I have been wrestling with an issue with the Unix Agent for some time
    now, but I've finally got a handle on it and thought I'd pass along my
    findings.

    On one of our Redhat boxes the programmers built a mySQL database.
    Originally they would dump the DB to text and I'd back that up, since
    this DB could not be shut down. Over time this DB grew and now is a
    nice hefty 77GB. (I know, I know, I'd never create a single table that
    large, but that's another topic for another day.) Anyway, as luck
    would have it, they suffered some sort of data corruption and they
    wanted me to restore the DB.

    To everyone's dismay, the file wasn't listed in the tape catalog -- any
    of them. No errors in any of the logs, either. Puzzled, I checked the
    backup job to make sure I wasn't filtering it out. Checked the remote
    agent to make sure it wasn't filtering it out. No reason for it to not
    get backed up from what I could see.

    I decided to try creating a new job and drill down directly to the DB
    file and try backing it up. Oddly enough, the file didn't show up as a
    backup selection. Checked permissions on the file and folder --
    everything's good, but still BE won't see that the file is there.

    Put BE in debug mode and put the agent in debug mode and ran a backup
    of that folder. What the debug log on the agent showed was telling.
    Apparently GRFS, which is what the Unix Agent is apparently built upon,
    uses a function in a C library called 'lstat' to, I presume, obtain
    lock status of files as it attempt to back them up. Trouble is, lstat
    has a file size limitation of 2GB! 2GB on a file system that can
    generate terabyte sized files! Seems hard to believe, but there it is.

    I did find out that there is an lstat64, which is supposed to relieve
    this limit (not sure, yet, what limit there is, if any, on lstat64),
    but that would require Veritas to rewrite their agent to use this
    function. Maybe the next release?

    Oh, well... at least I know why it was getting skipped on the backup.
    BUT the scary thing is that the Unix Agent doesn't report this to the
    media server. Nothing at all to give any indication of a problem. So
    how many 2GB+ files have I been skipping all this time? I've got the
    programmers checking...

    How about you? Happy hunting!

    -Barry.

  2. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    Barry

    What version of the Unix Agent are you running (should be displayed when
    you run agent.be)? I thought this 2Gb filesize problem was resolved in
    v5.032 and later (see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242541.htm -
    even though it's a BE for Windows TN, the agent is the same for BE for
    NetWare). Latest version is at

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    That's the version I have provided to them. I'll check to see that
    it's the one actually installed.

    Thanks!

    -Barry.

  4. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    Yep, it's v5.01 release 5.032. I've grabbed the newest and will have
    them give it a go.

    -Barry.

  5. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    Barry
    > Yep, it's v5.01 release 5.032. I've grabbed the newest and will have
    > them give it a go.

    Okey dokey - report back please

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    SUCCESS! 5.046 works!

    Maybe that technote should be updated to point to 5.046 instead of
    5.032.

    Thanks for your help!

    -Barry.

  7. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    Barry
    > SUCCESS! 5.046 works!

    Excellent :-)

    > Maybe that technote should be updated to point to 5.046 instead of
    > 5.032.

    Well, 5.032 isn't available anymore, but yes, I agree

    > Thanks for your help!

    Np ;-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  8. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    I am running Redhat Enterprise Linux ES. The max size of my files is 2GB.
    What file system are you using that allows files larger than 2GB?

    Just wondering.

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    >I have been wrestling with an issue with the Unix Agent for some time
    > now, but I've finally got a handle on it and thought I'd pass along my
    > findings.
    >
    > On one of our Redhat boxes the programmers built a mySQL database.
    > Originally they would dump the DB to text and I'd back that up, since
    > this DB could not be shut down. Over time this DB grew and now is a
    > nice hefty 77GB. (I know, I know, I'd never create a single table that
    > large, but that's another topic for another day.) Anyway, as luck
    > would have it, they suffered some sort of data corruption and they
    > wanted me to restore the DB.
    >
    > To everyone's dismay, the file wasn't listed in the tape catalog -- any
    > of them. No errors in any of the logs, either. Puzzled, I checked the
    > backup job to make sure I wasn't filtering it out. Checked the remote
    > agent to make sure it wasn't filtering it out. No reason for it to not
    > get backed up from what I could see.
    >
    > I decided to try creating a new job and drill down directly to the DB
    > file and try backing it up. Oddly enough, the file didn't show up as a
    > backup selection. Checked permissions on the file and folder --
    > everything's good, but still BE won't see that the file is there.
    >
    > Put BE in debug mode and put the agent in debug mode and ran a backup
    > of that folder. What the debug log on the agent showed was telling.
    > Apparently GRFS, which is what the Unix Agent is apparently built upon,
    > uses a function in a C library called 'lstat' to, I presume, obtain
    > lock status of files as it attempt to back them up. Trouble is, lstat
    > has a file size limitation of 2GB! 2GB on a file system that can
    > generate terabyte sized files! Seems hard to believe, but there it is.
    >
    > I did find out that there is an lstat64, which is supposed to relieve
    > this limit (not sure, yet, what limit there is, if any, on lstat64),
    > but that would require Veritas to rewrite their agent to use this
    > function. Maybe the next release?
    >
    > Oh, well... at least I know why it was getting skipped on the backup.
    > BUT the scary thing is that the Unix Agent doesn't report this to the
    > media server. Nothing at all to give any indication of a problem. So
    > how many 2GB+ files have I been skipping all this time? I've got the
    > programmers checking...
    >
    > How about you? Happy hunting!
    >
    > -Barry.

  9. Re: Fun with Unix Agent

    If think they're running EFS3 on those servers. The original EFS does
    have a 2GB file size limit. You need at least EFS2.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread