Partition Mode - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Partition Mode - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are using NetWare 5.1 SP7 currently using BE 9.0 4202. We have one server connected to an MSL5030 tape library with one tape drive. We are now putting in a second server and would like to just add a ...

  1. Partition Mode

    We are using NetWare 5.1 SP7 currently using BE 9.0 4202.

    We have one server connected to an MSL5030 tape library with one tape drive.

    We are now putting in a second server and would like to just add a 2nd
    tape drive to the library to handle this server. We were told we would
    have to use partition mode to do this (currently running media mgmt.)
    We had no problem setting up our SAN using Shared storage option but
    obviously this is much different....
    Does anybody have any experience with this setup?? Thoughts....

    Thanks,
    Gill

  2. Re: Partition Mode

    Is your second server going to run Remote Agent or will it be a media
    server?

    If it's a Remote Agent you should not have to change from media mode.
    But if it's going to be a media server then you might be better off
    running in partition mode. I've never tried media management mode with
    more than one media server. I don't know if the primary media server
    gets to control the media sets and rules, or what. Maybe somebody else
    will jump in to answer that.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Partition Mode

    Barry St.John wrote:
    > Is your second server going to run Remote Agent or will it be a media
    > server?
    >
    > If it's a Remote Agent you should not have to change from media mode.
    > But if it's going to be a media server then you might be better off
    > running in partition mode. I've never tried media management mode with
    > more than one media server. I don't know if the primary media server
    > gets to control the media sets and rules, or what. Maybe somebody else
    > will jump in to answer that.
    >
    > -Barry.

    thanks barry...
    2nd Server going to be media server.

    I've looked through the doc's on Partition mode, but am not real clear
    on how I should set this up, hoping maybe somebody has a setup like this
    to offer advice....I did see the technote on switching from mm to
    partition with the startup switch...i was thinking we'd have to
    reinstall so I'm happy about that...

  4. Re: Partition Mode

    Yes, switching from one mode to the other is easy enough.
    How many slots in this library? What sort of tape media and how much
    data are you backing up?

    -Barry.

  5. Re: Partition Mode

    Barry St.John wrote:
    > Yes, switching from one mode to the other is easy enough.
    > How many slots in this library? What sort of tape media and how much
    > data are you backing up?
    >
    > -Barry.

    26 slots....

    SDLT 2 tape drives..

    Server1 has about 1.6 TB's. Server 2 has about 650 GB's currently.

    Gill

+ Reply to Thread