Backup to Disk then to tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup to Disk then to tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am currently backing up to disk on the local area network and want to move that backup to tape for offsite storage. Is backing up a backup a good procedure? Are there any risks involved? Our tape backup is ...

  1. Backup to Disk then to tape

    I am currently backing up to disk on the local area network and want to move
    that backup to tape for offsite storage. Is backing up a backup a good
    procedure? Are there any risks involved? Our tape backup is not a
    preferred solution for the primary backup due to users forgetting to insert
    tapes or common SCSI tape drive problems.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Backup to Disk then to tape

    GameBoy
    > I am currently backing up to disk on the local area network and want to move
    > that backup to tape for offsite storage. Is backing up a backup a good
    > procedure? Are there any risks involved?

    I'm assuming you're meaning that you would backup the backup-to-disk
    folders? I wouldn't do this this way, because you'd need to restore the
    B2D folder first, then catalog it, then restore from there. If you use
    the "Duplicate Job" functionality in 9.1 to copy the B2D backup sets to
    tape, the tape will be just like you'd backed up to it originally.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"