BE hangs between counting devices & starting backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE hangs between counting devices & starting backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a customer with a NW 6SP3 server running BE 9.0.4202. The job will frequently hang at the beginning after counting the devices and actually starting the backup job. I have a second job that runs by hand for ...

  1. BE hangs between counting devices & starting backup

    I have a customer with a NW 6SP3 server running BE 9.0.4202. The job will
    frequently hang at the beginning after counting the devices and actually
    starting the backup job. I have a second job that runs by hand for scratch
    backups before server surgery. I haven't seen anything in the health log
    that would be keeping the job from running, although I do have occasional
    disk throughput and CPU warnings; just not when the job is running

    Any help in tracking this down would be appreciated! log snips to follow

    Thanks!

    Gregg

    BE log

    ##NML##Job server: WEST_POINTE
    ##NML## Job name: DAILY
    ##NML## User name: MRK.WPT
    ##NML## Job type: BACKUP
    ##NML## Operation: BACKUP
    ##NML## Submitted: 11/13/04 at 02:45:48p
    ##NML##Backup operation started: 01/28/05 at 07:00:07p
    ##NML##=========================================== =============================
    ##NML##
    ##NML##=========================================== =============================
    ##NML## Backup method: Full
    ##NML##=========================================== =============================
    ##NML##Counting number of devices that will be processed.
    ##NML##Found 4 device(s).
    ##NML##=========================================== =============================
    ##NML##
    ##NML##Backup set started: 01/31/05 at 01:48:30p
    ##NML##
    ##NML##Media ID: 323f6e0a Media 1
    ##NML##Media description: "Media Created on Nov 13, 2004"
    ##NML##Set 1 created 01/31/05
    ##NML##BarCode: 4MM_000004
    ##NML##Set name: "BackupJob_2"
    ##NML##Set description: "BackupJob_2"
    ##NML##Backup of WEST_POINTE.NetWare File System/WEST_POINTE/Server Specific
    Info:
    ##NML##Drive: "HA:1 ID:6 LUN:0 DELL PV-100T-DDS4"
    ##NML##
    ##NML##Directory
    ##NML##
    ##NML## Total directories: 1
    ##NML## Total files: 0
    ##NML## Total bytes: 693,855 (0.6 Megabytes)
    ##NML## Total time: 00:00:03
    ##NML## Throughput: 231,285 bytes/second (13.2 Megabytes/minute)
    ##NML##
    ##NML##Backup set ended: 01/31/05 at 01:48:37p
    ##NML##------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Health log

    Friday, 1-28-2005 12:54 pm
    Disk Throughput on server WEST_POINTE has returned to the GOOD State
    Current Value - 11
    Peak Value - 20327
    Max Value - N/A

    Friday, 1-28-2005 12:59 pm
    Disk Throughput on server WEST_POINTE was in a BAD State
    Current Value - 0
    Peak Value - 20327
    Max Value - N/A

    Friday, 1-28-2005 12:59 pm
    Disk Throughput on server WEST_POINTE has returned to the GOOD State
    Current Value - 0
    Peak Value - 20327
    Max Value - N/A

    Saturday, 1-29-2005 12:01 am
    CPU Utilization-0 on server WEST_POINTE was in a SUSPECT State
    Current Value - 86
    Peak Value - 100
    Max Value - 100
    Current SUSPECT threshold = More than 85 and Critical threshold = More than
    95

    Saturday, 1-29-2005 12:01 am
    CPU Utilization-0 on server WEST_POINTE was in a BAD State
    Current Value - 100
    Peak Value - 100
    Max Value - 100
    Current SUSPECT threshold = More than 85 and Critical threshold = More than
    95

    Saturday, 1-29-2005 12:02 am
    CPU Utilization-0 on server WEST_POINTE has returned to the GOOD State
    Current Value - 6
    Peak Value - 100
    Max Value - 100
    Current SUSPECT threshold = More than 85 and Critical threshold = More than
    95

    Saturday, 1-29-2005 12:02 am
    CPU Utilization-0 on server WEST_POINTE was in a SUSPECT State
    Current Value - 100

  2. Re: BE hangs between counting devices & starting backup

    My first thought is that it's some sort of communications issue.
    Perhaps SLP isn't working correctly, or SMDR isn't configured correctly
    for SLP. Or perhaps one of your volumes isn't registered in the
    directory properly.

    SMDR configuration:

    Unload BE, all TSA and SMDR. If other modules prevent SMDR from
    unloading, unload those dependent modules, then unload SMDR. The LOAD
    SMDR NEW. Answer the prompts so SLP is enabled, TCP/IP is enabled and,
    if applicable, bound to the correct network interface. Whether or not
    you want to use HOSTS file for name resolution is up to you. Reload
    any dependent modules you unloaded, your TSAs, and BESTART.

    If problem persists:

    DSREPAIR (full, unattended) will fix any problem you have with volumes
    not being registered in the directory. An exception would be a "ghost"
    object. That is, and unknown object [icon looks like (?) but yellow]
    exists that has the same name as the volume. If that is the case,
    delete the unknown object and the volume object, then DSREPAIR again.

    Read the DSREPAIR log to find specific errors that were uncovered.
    That might shed some light on what's causing the problem.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread