BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server - Veritas Backup Exec ; Single Dell PowerEdge 1400SC server with internal SCSI PowerVault 100T tape drive running NW 6 SP5 and BE 9.0 R4170. Was working fine til this morning when the nightly job log completed : With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). ...

  1. BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server

    Single Dell PowerEdge 1400SC server with internal SCSI PowerVault 100T tape
    drive running NW 6 SP5 and BE 9.0 R4170. Was working fine til this morning
    when the nightly job log completed : With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR
    (16). Unable to open target mdedia device. The device may be unavailable
    or it may not be responding.

    A Scan for Devices gives me an Error: 0x602F - Could not establish a connection
    with the media server. I've rebooted and the POST sees a Python tape drive
    on the scsi chain. The Stand-Alone Drives menu options shows the following...

    HA:0 ID:6 LUN:0 DEL PV-100T-DDS4, 4mm DAT, drive state:Enabled

    Any suggestions on further troubleshooting? Time to replace the tape drive?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  2. Re: BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server

    Cashmo
    > BE 9.0 R4170.

    I would move up to build 4202 first of all

    > Was working fine til this morning

    Anything change on the server since the job last completed successfully?

    > when the nightly job log completed : With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR
    > (16). Unable to open target mdedia device. The device may be unavailable
    > or it may not be responding.
    > A Scan for Devices gives me an Error: 0x602F - Could not establish a connection
    > with the media server.

    Ok, the NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR translates into "Specified device does not
    exist.", so the tape server hasn't got details on the drive that the job
    wants to use. It's more likely a hardware error - but it could be the
    drive, a break in the SCSI cable (check the pins too), or a fault
    developed in the SCSI card itself.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server

    >I would move up to build 4202 first of all

    Will do.

    >Anything change on the server since the job last completed successfully?

    I added a Groupwise Web Access server (2nd physical box) on the network but
    I can't think of anything that I changed on the original server that has
    the tape drive setup.

    >It's more likely a hardware error - but it could be the
    >drive, a break in the SCSI cable (check the pins too), or a fault
    >developed in the SCSI card itself.

    Wish I had hardware to swap. I'm guessing the tape drive itself might
    be bad.

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  4. Re: BE 9.0 R4170 Error:0x602F Could not establish connection with media server

    Hi,

    I had this same thing happen. Veritas suggested clean reinstalls, but that
    didn't help. It ended up being DNS entries in the hosts file and one other
    in the \etc\ directory were pointing elsewhere for the server's name. Deleting
    the DNS information solved the problem immediately.

    "cashmo" wrote:

    >>I would move up to build 4202 first of all

    >Will do.
    >
    >>Anything change on the server since the job last completed successfully?

    >I added a Groupwise Web Access server (2nd physical box) on the network

    but
    >I can't think of anything that I changed on the original server that has
    >the tape drive setup.
    >
    >>It's more likely a hardware error - but it could be the
    >>drive, a break in the SCSI cable (check the pins too), or a fault
    >>developed in the SCSI card itself.

    >Wish I had hardware to swap. I'm guessing the tape drive itself might
    >be bad.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jeff

+ Reply to Thread