HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV - Veritas Backup Exec ; kmw > we are running a NetWare 5.1 box, latest SP. Just got a HP Storage Works > 1/8 Autoloader (DLT), some brand new and some used tapes. The used ones are > from differenty systems. I am running BE ...

  1. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    kmw
    > we are running a NetWare 5.1 box, latest SP. Just got a HP Storage Works
    > 1/8 Autoloader (DLT), some brand new and some used tapes. The used ones are
    > from differenty systems. I am running BE v9.10-1067 for NetWare.
    >
    > I can erase the new tapes and use them, but I can not erase the used. These
    > used ones (approx. 30) are from different systems, different brands and all
    > of them are reported by BE as inconsisteny or other errors.

    Are you doing a full or quick erase? If you're doing a quick erase, try
    a full one - warning though, it may take a while!

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  2. HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    Hi all,
    we are running a NetWare 5.1 box, latest SP. Just got a HP Storage Works
    1/8 Autoloader (DLT), some brand new and some used tapes. The used ones are
    from differenty systems. I am running BE v9.10-1067 for NetWare.

    I can erase the new tapes and use them, but I can not erase the used. These
    used ones (approx. 30) are from different systems, different brands and all
    of them are reported by BE as inconsisteny or other errors.

    Any way to wipe them out and use them under BE? Andy clue?

    TIA
    k.m.w

  3. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    kmw
    > Have tried both, quick and ful,l and both give me errors - k.m.w

    Ack, let me quickly explain the difference - a quick one simply erases
    the media header so that the media record goes away, but the full one
    goes along the whole tape erasing it. So usually the full one would
    solve the issue. If it doesn't work, then it could suggest that the
    tapes are bad. How old are they? Has the drive been cleaned?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    Michael wrote:
    >kmw
    >> we are running a NetWare 5.1 box, latest SP. Just got a HP Storage Works
    >> 1/8 Autoloader (DLT), some brand new and some used tapes. The used ones

    are
    >> from differenty systems. I am running BE v9.10-1067 for NetWare.
    >>
    >> I can erase the new tapes and use them, but I can not erase the used.

    These
    >> used ones (approx. 30) are from different systems, different brands and

    all
    >> of them are reported by BE as inconsisteny or other errors.

    >Are you doing a full or quick erase? If you're doing a quick erase, try

    >a full one - warning though, it may take a while!
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup,

    Have tried both, quick and ful,l and both give me errors - k.m.w

  5. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    kmw
    > Well, I understand your point with the difference in erasing the taps. However
    > when I stick my nose deeper in the erease routine of BE I think BE is not
    > capable to erase unknown tape header. To point this one out I do have a tape
    > done with NetWare SBACKUP.NLM and guess what? You are right, can=3Ft erease
    > it but I can read some of the header.

    Ok, so can you erase the tape using SBACKUP?

    > An other thought is: Can BE do a "secure erase"??

    No, it can't - although a full erase is pretty good (usually!)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    Michael wrote:
    >kmw
    >> Have tried both, quick and ful,l and both give me errors - k.m.w

    >Ack, let me quickly explain the difference - a quick one simply erases
    >the media header so that the media record goes away, but the full one
    >goes along the whole tape erasing it. So usually the full one would
    >solve the issue. If it doesn't work, then it could suggest that the
    >tapes are bad. How old are they? Has the drive been cleaned?
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    Well, I understand your point with the difference in erasing the taps. However
    when I stick my nose deeper in the erease routine of BE I think BE is not
    capable to erase unknown tape header. To point this one out I do have a tape
    done with NetWare SBACKUP.NLM and guess what? You are right, canīt erease
    it but I can read some of the header.

    I am almost positive that not all of these tapes are bad.... And the Tape
    Box is brand new and I just stuck six brand new tapes in it and it looks
    fine.

    An other thought is: Can BE do a "secure erase"??

  7. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    Michael wrote:
    >kmw
    >> Well, I understand your point with the difference in erasing the taps.

    However
    >> when I stick my nose deeper in the erease routine of BE I think BE is

    not
    >> capable to erase unknown tape header. To point this one out I do have

    a tape
    >> done with NetWare SBACKUP.NLM and guess what? You are right, can=3Ft erease
    >> it but I can read some of the header.

    >Ok, so can you erase the tape using SBACKUP?
    >
    >> An other thought is: Can BE do a "secure erase"??

    >No, it can't - although a full erase is pretty good (usually!)
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    Would SBACKUP be some help for me? I donīt think so. And the reasons are,
    when I do all the work and configure SBACKUP on the box I migt be able to
    red the SBACKUP formated tape, erase it and it still will contain the SBACKUP
    header. Now when I switch back to BE I think I will have exact the same issue.
    To my logic there is no difference between a SBACKUP data loaded tape and
    a SBACKUP erased tape. One has some data bits on it, the other is ready for
    data bits.

    While I spending all the time to move temporary to SBACKUP I can grap me
    some of the L&TT from HP and do a "secure erase". To my understanding a secure
    erase will give me some sort of virgin tape.

  8. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    kmw
    > Would SBACKUP be some help for me?

    I hear what you're saying - what I was getting at was, can you erase the
    tape with the same app that you created it with? If not, then the
    problem is with the tape - if so, then the problem is more than likely
    with BE (and I really think you'd need to open a call about it)

    > To my understanding a secure erase will give me some sort of virgin tape.

    That's the way I understand it too. Though if the tape's old & worn out
    it won't be of much benefit :-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  9. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    Nils-Eivind
    > You did not specify exactly which DLT models are involved.

    D'oh! Good point :-)

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  10. Re: HowTo Format Used DLT Tape IV

    "kmw" wrote in news:41ff8af7@ROSASTDMZ05.:

    > Hi all,
    > we are running a NetWare 5.1 box, latest SP. Just got a HP
    > Storage Works 1/8 Autoloader (DLT), some brand new and some used
    > tapes. The used ones are from differenty systems. I am running
    > BE v9.10-1067 for NetWare.
    >
    > I can erase the new tapes and use them, but I can not erase the
    > used. These used ones (approx. 30) are from different systems,
    > different brands and all of them are reported by BE as
    > inconsisteny or other errors.
    >
    > Any way to wipe them out and use them under BE? Andy clue?
    >
    > TIA
    > k.m.w

    You did not specify exactly which DLT models are involved.
    We bought a VS80 and found we could not use the old, used DLTape IV
    from our older DLT7000 drive, with similar symptoms as your own.

    This was confirmed by our excellent local manufacturer of the VS80,
    Tandberg Data. The solution was to return the used tapes (about 70
    in all) to Tandberg Data to have them bulk-erased. They all work
    perfectly now.

    So the solution might be to find a nearby shop with a suitable bulk
    eraser, or ask Tandberg Data :-)

    --
    Nils-Eivind Naas
    Institute for Social Research