slow remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on slow remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Help: I had been using arcserve for netware for backups. After many problems we switched to BackupExec 9.1. I have 1 media server and 4 remote servers to backup. I am using a dell sdlt 320 tape drive on a ...

  1. slow remote backups

    Help:
    I had been using arcserve for netware for backups. After many problems
    we switched to BackupExec 9.1. I have 1 media server and 4 remote servers
    to backup. I am using a dell sdlt 320 tape drive on a dell poweredge 2600
    server. I have Netware 6.5 on the backup server. It backs up itself very
    quickly. When backing up two remote servers approx 100 GB's it takes over
    35 hours or longer. The servers are in the same room, on the same switch
    and all set to 100 MB's full duplex.

    Thanks

    Dave

  2. Re: slow remote backups

    There are a variety of factors that can adversely affect performance.
    These are the ones I most commonly encounter:

    First check the NDMPSVRS.DAT file on your media server (in \BKUPEXEC
    folder). Make sure none of the servers listed there are pointing to a
    public IP address.

    Next, reconfigure SMDR on all the servers. BESTOP, then unload all
    TSAs. Unload SMDR and any modules that are dependent (you'll be told
    what they are, if any, when you attempt to unload SMDR). LOAD SMDR NEW
    and answer the prompts so SLP is enabled, TCP/IP is used, the correct
    IP interface (private, not public) is used. Whether or not you want to
    enable use of hosts file for name resolution is up to you. But if you
    do, make sure your hosts file is correct and doesn't point to public
    addresses when it should point to private addresses.

    Reload your TSAs and any other dependent modules you unloaded.
    BESTART, and you should be set.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: slow remote backups

    Dave

    In addition to Barry's suggestions, firstly make sure you're on the
    latest build of BE for NW 9.1, which is build 1152 (and update the
    agents accordingly).

    > and all set to 100 MB's full duplex.

    Consider setting them to half duplex, and making sure that the switch
    ports are all set that way too.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Antw: slow remote backups

    Have you tried this settings on your servers?

    SET TCP DELAYED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT=OFF
    SET TCP NAGLE ALGORITHM=OFF

    this worked for me ....
    you have to put them into the autoexec.ncf to set this things every server-boot.

    chris

+ Reply to Thread