AutoLoader problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on AutoLoader problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have a new HP 6X72 autoloader that won't autoload the tapes. When we load the tapes manually backups proceed normally until a new tape is needed, the new tape must then be added manually to continue the backup. We ...

  1. AutoLoader problems

    We have a new HP 6X72 autoloader that won't autoload the tapes. When we
    load the tapes manually backups proceed normally until a new tape is needed,
    the new tape must then be added manually to continue the backup. We are
    running BackupExec 9.1 on NW 5.1 SP6. BackupExec was installed for
    Partition management mode. Under Drives it has the following listed under
    Stand-alone Drives: HA:1 ID:5 LUN:0 HP 36/72GB DAT 6 AL.

    Let me know if more information is required

    Thanks

    Rich

  2. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Make sure the loader is set for SCSI ID 0, then the drives for ID 1, 2,
    etc.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Barry
    > Make sure the loader is set for SCSI ID 0, then the drives for ID 1, 2,
    > etc.

    Oooh no, the loader should never be set to 0. 0 & 1 are typically
    reserved for bootable devices. Preferably start the loader at ID 2, then
    the drives in sequential order.

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: AutoLoader problems

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1c2c1385d2abfd5f989712@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Barry
    > > Make sure the loader is set for SCSI ID 0, then the drives for ID 1, 2,
    > > etc.

    > Oooh no, the loader should never be set to 0. 0 & 1 are typically
    > reserved for bootable devices. Preferably start the loader at ID 2, then
    > the drives in sequential order.
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    > you probably needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    I finally got the software to recognize the autoloader but now can't submit
    any jobs. goes through all the steps of creating a job but the job never
    appears in the scheduled jobs list.

    Rich

  5. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Rich
    > I finally got the software to recognize the autoloader but now can't submit
    > any jobs. goes through all the steps of creating a job but the job never
    > appears in the scheduled jobs list.

    Where are you creating the job from, the Java AC or the NetWare AC? Does
    it make a difference which one you use? Do you get any error messages?
    Have you got any anti-virus software on the media server that scans the
    \BKUPEXEC directory? If so, exclude that directory - you may have to
    stop BE and delete the jobqueue.dat & jobqueue.idx files too.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: AutoLoader problems

    "Rich" wrote in message news:41c21786@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "Michael" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1c2c1385d2abfd5f989712@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > Barry
    > > > Make sure the loader is set for SCSI ID 0, then the drives for ID 1,

    2,
    > > > etc.

    > > Oooh no, the loader should never be set to 0. 0 & 1 are typically
    > > reserved for bootable devices. Preferably start the loader at ID 2, then
    > > the drives in sequential order.
    > >
    > > Michael
    > > --
    > > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    > > you probably needed a new one anyway"
    > >
    > > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    > I finally got the software to recognize the autoloader but now can't

    submit
    > any jobs. goes through all the steps of creating a job but the job never
    > appears in the scheduled jobs list.
    >
    > Rich

    Spoke too soon. Got the job creation thing straightened out. But when I
    look at the properties for the robot it says "disconnected". Everything
    I've read so far has to do with LUN support. I have the -L in the
    bestart.ncf. I am running a compaq server and I can't find any info on
    enabling LUN support in the startup.ncf for cpqscsi, everything I've seen is
    for adaptec cards.

    Any help appreciated.

    Rich

  7. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Rich
    > Spoke too soon. Got the job creation thing straightened out. But when I
    > look at the properties for the robot it says "disconnected". Everything
    > I've read so far has to do with LUN support. I have the -L in the
    > bestart.ncf. I am running a compaq server and I can't find any info on
    > enabling LUN support in the startup.ncf for cpqscsi, everything I've seen is
    > for adaptec cards.

    I think you have to do the LUN support for the Compaq card via the
    Compaq management tools. I did have a lookup of your HP 6X72 autoloader
    on the hardware compatibility list for BENW 9.1:
    It doesn't appear, so it's not a supported device and you could well run
    into problems even if you get the LUN support sorted out.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  8. Re: AutoLoader problems

    > I think you have to do the LUN support for the Compaq card via the
    > Compaq management tools. I did have a lookup of your HP 6X72 autoloader
    > on the hardware compatibility list for BENW 9.1:
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271381.htm
    > It doesn't appear, so it's not a supported device and you could well run
    > into problems even if you get the LUN support sorted out.
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

    Thanks for all the help from everyone.

    According to HP's site it is compatable with BackupExec. I think the
    problem is that the onboard scsi controller is an ultra wide scsi-2 and HP
    says the autoloader needs an Ultra320, Wide Ultra3 or Ultra 160 adapter. We
    will locate one of the suggested cards and try again. Will let you know our
    results.

    Thanks again

    Rich

  9. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Rich
    > According to HP's site it is compatable with BackupExec.

    Ah now, I've had a look there and seen a 72X6 loader - lol, if you'd put
    that instead of 6X72 in the first post, might've found it a bit better
    (it was late last night for me here in the UK) ;-)

    It's supported, and yes, it's multi-LUN (again, I believe you have to
    set that for the SCSI card through CPQ's mgmt utils).

    > I think the problem is that the onboard scsi controller is an ultra wide scsi-2 and HP
    > says the autoloader needs an Ultra320, Wide Ultra3 or Ultra 160
    > adapter.

    Indeed, that could be a problem :-)
    Be interesting to see if that's the solution...

    Cheers

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  10. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Really? I've got mine set that way and it works OK.

    -Barry.

  11. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Barry
    > Really? I've got mine set that way and it works OK.

    You would
    In some cases it does work (obviously!), but it's very good practice to
    avoid using 0 & 1 for tape devices (0 definitely, 1 not as problematic
    but a good idea to avoid).

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  12. Re: AutoLoader problems

    Interesting. I'll have to do some experimenting...

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread