Scanning for network agents - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Scanning for network agents - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am using BackupExec v.9.1 on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server. After patching the server with SP2, it hangs whith the message "Scanning for network agents". Have tried to unload with bestop and bestop -A with no success. Have ...

  1. Scanning for network agents

    Hi,
    I am using BackupExec v.9.1 on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server. After patching the
    server with SP2, it hangs whith the message "Scanning for network agents".

    Have tried to unload with bestop and bestop -A with no success.
    Have also tried NWBOOT -undo

    Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

  2. Re: Scanning for network agents

    Check SYS:BKUPEXEC\NDMPSVRS.DAT (use any text editor) and make sure
    none of the servers listed there are using a public IP address.

    If that's not it, I'd try reinstalling BE.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Scanning for network agents

    NDMPSVRS.DAT does not refer to any server. There is just one server on the
    VLAN. Noe improvement after reinstalling BE.
    Also tried to reconfigure SMDR by following the instructions in Veritas document
    271692.

    Thor Frithjof

  4. Re: Scanning for network agents

    Thor
    > I am using BackupExec v.9.1 on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server. After patching the
    > server with SP2, it hangs whith the message "Scanning for network agents".

    You may well need to look at your SLP configuration, the SP2 update
    seems to interfere with it. I would review these 2 TIDs:

    Unscoped DAs:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10060296.htm

    Scoped DAs:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10059981.htm

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: Scanning for network agents

    Thor

    And this one:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10093986.htm

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Scanning for network agents

    You might need to reconfigure SMDR. Unload BE and all your TSAs
    (TSAFS, TSANDS, TSADOSP, etc) and SMDR. If there are any dependent
    modules preventing you from unloading SMDR, unload those, as well.
    Then issue the command SMDR NEW and follow the prompts. If you have
    multiple network interfaces, choose the one that makes the most sense
    for Backup Exec. Leave SLP enabled (default). Whether or not you
    enable HOSTS is up to you.

    Reload your TSAs, et al, then BESTART.

    -Barry.

  7. Re: Scanning for network agents

    "Thor Frithjof" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am using BackupExec v.9.1 on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server. After patching

    the
    >server with SP2, it hangs whith the message "Scanning for network agents".
    >
    >Have tried to unload with bestop and bestop -A with no success.
    >Have also tried NWBOOT -undo
    >
    >Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

    I agree with the other posts about SLP.

    DISPLAY SLP SERVICES should come back to the screen quickly with a list.

    If it hangs the system console, you can get it back with this-> press ctrl-alt-esc,
    open another prompt, then do UNLOAD SLPTCP. You will want to follow Novell
    TIDs regarding the removal of the SLP objects and re-creating them.

  8. Re: Scanning for network agents

    I had exactly the same proble 2 days ago. Mine was due to the Q57 driver.

    By setting nic to 100MB full or half duplex cured the problem - didn't like
    auto
    negotiating with the 1GB switch I guess.

    "Michael Cassman" wrote:

    >"Thor Frithjof" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>I am using BackupExec v.9.1 on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server. After patching

    >the
    >>server with SP2, it hangs whith the message "Scanning for network agents".
    >>
    >>Have tried to unload with bestop and bestop -A with no success.
    >>Have also tried NWBOOT -undo
    >>
    >>Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

    >I agree with the other posts about SLP.
    >
    >DISPLAY SLP SERVICES should come back to the screen quickly with a list.
    >
    >If it hangs the system console, you can get it back with this-> press ctrl-alt-esc,
    >open another prompt, then do UNLOAD SLPTCP. You will want to follow

    Novell
    >TIDs regarding the removal of the SLP objects and re-creating them.

+ Reply to Thread