linux agent speed - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on linux agent speed - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Somebody backup linux servers with a speed more than 250MB/mn? I use BE 9.1 build 9.10.1151 on a Nw6 sp4 server I backup win 2k3 servers and nw6 servers at more than 800MB/mn. Why the linux agent is slower ...

  1. linux agent speed

    Hi,

    Somebody backup linux servers with a speed more than 250MB/mn?

    I use BE 9.1 build 9.10.1151 on a Nw6 sp4 server

    I backup win 2k3 servers and nw6 servers at more than 800MB/mn.

    Why the linux agent is slower than other agents ?
    Are there tuning parameters on linux servers to increase the speed.

    Pascal

  2. Re: linux agent speed

    That's about what I see, too.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: linux agent speed

    Correction, I do have one server that gets about 300.

    -Barry.

  4. Re: linux agent speed

    Pascal
    > Why the linux agent is slower than other agents ?

    I believe the difference is due to the differing technology used in the
    agents - NW & M$ server agents are now NDMP, whereas the Linux agent is
    still the older GRFS (Generic Remote File System) agent.

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: linux agent speed

    ok
    no solution to have same speed of other agents ...

    Pascal

    Michael wrote:
    > Pascal
    >
    >>Why the linux agent is slower than other agents ?

    > I believe the difference is due to the differing technology used in the
    > agents - NW & M$ server agents are now NDMP, whereas the Linux agent is
    > still the older GRFS (Generic Remote File System) agent.
    >
    > Michael

  6. Re: linux agent speed

    Pascal
    > ok
    > no solution to have same speed of other agents ...

    Well no, not really I'm afraid - very unlikely to get a GRFS agent
    running anywhere near as fast as an NDMP agent. Then again, it's always
    possible that the Linux agent could be re-engineered to go NDMP in the
    future......

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  7. Re: linux agent speed

    Has been written already and will be released with the new version of BE for
    windows - called RALUS
    Expect to see the same thing in BE for Netware sometime after that..

    Michael wrote:
    >Pascal
    >> ok
    >> no solution to have same speed of other agents ...

    >Well no, not really I'm afraid - very unlikely to get a GRFS agent
    >running anywhere near as fast as an NDMP agent. Then again, it's always

    >possible that the Linux agent could be re-engineered to go NDMP in the
    >future......
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    >you probably needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

+ Reply to Thread