Remote agent backup of Linux - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote agent backup of Linux - Veritas Backup Exec ; Good afternoon, I have a Netware 5.1 server with Backup Exec 9.1. I'm trying to setup the agent on a Redhat 9 box. I ran the installation, but when I tried to start the agent I got the message below: ...

  1. Remote agent backup of Linux

    Good afternoon,

    I have a Netware 5.1 server with Backup Exec 9.1. I'm trying to setup the
    agent on a Redhat 9 box. I ran the installation, but when I tried to start
    the agent I got the message below:

    **
    [root@linuxsvr01 /]# cd /etc/bkupexec
    [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# ./agent.be &
    [1] 1611
    [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# Backup Exec -- Unix Agent, Version 5.01 Revision
    5.046
    Copyright 2001 VERITAS Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    ../agent.be: Using configuration file: agent.cfg
    ../agent.be: Agent configuration OK.
    ../agent.be: Workstation Name: "LINUXSVR01_SECURITYFEDERALBANK_COM"
    ../agent.be: Backup Exec Agent ready to service requests.
    merged_addr() gethostbyname(linuxsvr01) failed!!
    NRLAdvertisementSender: Resource advertiser out of memory2
    [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]#

    **

    Anyone run into this? Suggestions?

  2. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    I tried installing on another Linux box and found that the problem had to do
    with the linux installation--some network config error that I wasn't able to
    chase down.

    I was able to start the service, but now the Netware server can't 'see' the
    linux box. I've done all the usual....ping from both boxes by IP and name,
    double-checked that the service was started on Linux, compatible with the
    version of Linux that the agent is installed on.

    If anyone has any suggestions, send them on...

    "C Hall" wrote in message news:4179545e@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Good afternoon,
    >
    > I have a Netware 5.1 server with Backup Exec 9.1. I'm trying to setup the
    > agent on a Redhat 9 box. I ran the installation, but when I tried to start
    > the agent I got the message below:

    > **
    > [root@linuxsvr01 /]# cd /etc/bkupexec
    > [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# ./agent.be &
    > [1] 1611
    > [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# Backup Exec -- Unix Agent, Version 5.01

    Revision
    > 5.046
    > Copyright 2001 VERITAS Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    > ./agent.be: Using configuration file: agent.cfg
    > ./agent.be: Agent configuration OK.
    > ./agent.be: Workstation Name: "LINUXSVR01_SECURITYFEDERALBANK_COM"
    > ./agent.be: Backup Exec Agent ready to service requests.
    > merged_addr() gethostbyname(linuxsvr01) failed!!
    > NRLAdvertisementSender: Resource advertiser out of memory2
    > [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]#

    > **
    >
    > Anyone run into this? Suggestions?

  3. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    An entry for the media server must exist in the Linux host's HOSTS
    file.

    -Barry.

  4. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Barry,

    Thanks for the reply. Currently, I have entries in the HOSTS file for both
    Linux & Netwdare. I can ping the Netware box from the Linux box by name and
    ip address. Same goes for pinging from the Netware box. I thought I saw on a
    Linux newsgroup the same problem and it had to do with changing Backup Exec
    to use TCP/IP for communication. I've looked in the Admin console and the
    places I saw where there was an opportunity to change/add TCP/IP, it was
    already selected.

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > An entry for the media server must exist in the Linux host's HOSTS
    > file.
    >
    > -Barry.

  5. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Get the latest TSAs for NetWare 5.1 (TSA5UPx.EXE) from Novell. After
    applying them, make sure all BE, all TSAs and SMDR are unloaded, then
    LOAD SMDR NEW. Here you can supply the interface SMDR should use.
    Load your TSAs again, then BESTART and you should be all set.

    -Barry.

  6. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Once again, thanks for your reply. It's good to have a Novell guy in this
    forum. I'll give this a shot and post the results.

    > Get the latest TSAs for NetWare 5.1 (TSA5UPx.EXE) from Novell. After
    > applying them, make sure all BE, all TSAs and SMDR are unloaded, then
    > LOAD SMDR NEW. Here you can supply the interface SMDR should use.
    > Load your TSAs again, then BESTART and you should be all set.
    >
    > -Barry.

  7. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Barry,

    I tried this on a couple of test boxes and it worked great! Then when to the
    production network and same results: netware doesn't see the linux box. I've
    opened a case with BE support and was asked to run the agent in debug mode
    on both the test and production linux boxes. I'll post the results when I
    get them.

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > Get the latest TSAs for NetWare 5.1 (TSA5UPx.EXE) from Novell. After
    > applying them, make sure all BE, all TSAs and SMDR are unloaded, then
    > LOAD SMDR NEW. Here you can supply the interface SMDR should use.
    > Load your TSAs again, then BESTART and you should be all set.
    >
    > -Barry.

  8. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    In article <4181307d@ROSASTDMZ05.>, C Hall wrote:
    > I've opened a case with BE support

    Would have been my next suggestion. ;-)

    > and was asked to run the agent in debug > mode on both the test and
    > production linux boxes. I'll post the results when I get them.

    OK. Curious to see what the problem is.

    -Barry.

  9. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Update:
    As of this point, there is still no solution. The problem has been escalated
    to Tier 3 and everyone is scratching their heads.

    > In article <4181307d@ROSASTDMZ05.>, C Hall wrote:
    > > I've opened a case with BE support

    > Would have been my next suggestion. ;-)
    >
    > > and was asked to run the agent in debug > mode on both the test and
    > > production linux boxes. I'll post the results when I get them.

    > OK. Curious to see what the problem is.
    >
    > -Barry.

  10. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Me, too. If you do get a solution, do post it here. I'm curious to
    see what the problem was.

    -Barry.

  11. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux--solution

    This kills me. I know that Linux is case sensitive and that's what it turned
    out to be. After doing a lot of debug logging and seeing that the server was
    seeing the Linux box, they discovered that the agent.cfg file had the
    Netware server listed in all CAPS--the tell statement. Changed
    that to all lowercase and worked like a charm.

    > Me, too. If you do get a solution, do post it here. I'm curious to
    > see what the problem was.
    >
    > -Barry.

  12. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux--solution

    Wow! I likely would never have thought of that. I will have to keep
    that in mind for future consideration.

    -Barry.

  13. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Hello,

    To fix this problem try the following steps...
    - Check the hostname and the registered DNS address.
    - The registered DNS and hostname mismatch is usually the problem.
    - Make sure that the Ip address should be statically assigned. Confirm that
    hostname matches DNS for that IP.

    Cheers

    "C Hall" wrote:
    >I tried installing on another Linux box and found that the problem had to

    do
    >with the linux installation--some network config error that I wasn't able

    >chase down.
    >
    >I was able to start the service, but now the Netware server can't 'see'

    the
    >linux box. I've done all the usual....ping from both boxes by IP and name,
    >double-checked that the service was started on Linux, compatible with the
    >version of Linux that the agent is installed on.
    >
    >If anyone has any suggestions, send them on...
    >

    >"C Hall" wrote in message news:4179545e@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> Good afternoon,
    >>
    >> I have a Netware 5.1 server with Backup Exec 9.1. I'm trying to setup

    the
    >> agent on a Redhat 9 box. I ran the installation, but when I tried to start
    >> the agent I got the message below:
    >>

    >************************************************** **************************
    >> **
    >> [root@linuxsvr01 /]# cd /etc/bkupexec
    >> [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# ./agent.be &
    >> [1] 1611
    >> [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]# Backup Exec -- Unix Agent, Version 5.01

    >Revision
    >> 5.046
    >> Copyright 2001 VERITAS Software Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    >> ./agent.be: Using configuration file: agent.cfg
    >> ./agent.be: Agent configuration OK.
    >> ./agent.be: Workstation Name: "LINUXSVR01_SECURITYFEDERALBANK_COM"
    >> ./agent.be: Backup Exec Agent ready to service requests.
    >> merged_addr() gethostbyname(linuxsvr01) failed!!
    >> NRLAdvertisementSender: Resource advertiser out of memory2
    >> [root@linuxsvr01 bkupexec]#

    >> **
    >>
    >> Anyone run into this? Suggestions?

  14. Re: Remote agent backup of Linux

    Maybe you didn't notice that the original message was posted in Oct
    2004? I doubt C. Hall is still waiting around for an answer.

    Not that I'm trying to discourage you. It just struck me funny. :-)

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread