NDMPD memory leak? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NDMPD memory leak? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Steve > These appear to work, but now NDMPD.NLM is eating all the memory - in a recent > test this morning NDMPD's share of the memory jumped from 239k to 100mb, > and then slowly reduced back to previous ...

  1. Re: NDMPD memory leak?

    Steve
    > These appear to work, but now NDMPD.NLM is eating all the memory - in a recent
    > test this morning NDMPD's share of the memory jumped from 239k to 100mb,
    > and then slowly reduced back to previous levels again.

    Does this actually cause a problem with other applications/user
    logins/etc.? What I find is that when BE runs a backup, if there's
    available memory/processing power there to use, BE will use it, but
    relinquish it when other apps require it.

    As long as BE *does* release it (which it appears to do in your case)
    and doesn't affect other apps, then it seems to be working correctly.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  2. NDMPD memory leak?

    Hi,

    Have recently applied fixes intended to stop TSAFS and NSS nlm's eating all
    the memory when backing up on NW65SP2 servers using BackupExec 9.10 1127.

    These appear to work, but now NDMPD.NLM is eating all the memory - in a recent
    test this morning NDMPD's share of the memory jumped from 239k to 100mb,
    and then slowly reduced back to previous levels again.

    Anyone know why this is happening and what I can do about it?

    Thanks,

    Steve Law

  3. Re: NDMPD memory leak?

    We've seen this several times in our organization. It started when we went
    from BE 9.0 to BE 9.1. I have gotten it to work on one version of 9.1, but
    can't remember which. When we backup a volume that might take 12-24 hrs,
    200 GB volume, the server will run out of memory and crash. Differentials
    will work all week long, but full backups would crash every time. Veritas
    support was of no help.

    Michael wrote:
    >Steve
    >> These appear to work, but now NDMPD.NLM is eating all the memory - in

    a recent
    >> test this morning NDMPD's share of the memory jumped from 239k to 100mb,
    >> and then slowly reduced back to previous levels again.

    >Does this actually cause a problem with other applications/user
    >logins/etc.? What I find is that when BE runs a backup, if there's
    >available memory/processing power there to use, BE will use it, but
    >relinquish it when other apps require it.
    >
    >As long as BE *does* release it (which it appears to do in your case)
    >and doesn't affect other apps, then it seems to be working correctly.
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: NDMPD memory leak?

    Hi Bill,

    Had fogotten about my original post here, just by chance I looked today.
    This is still a problem for us too. We're using Netware 6.5 SP2 with all
    patches including post SP2 nss patches, and Backupexec 9.1 build 1151.

    I've been in touch with a Novell memory expert who has guided me through
    tweaking memory usage so the config is exactly what it should be. But if
    I stop the TSA's from using excessive memory (either TSAFS or TSA600, it
    doesn't matter which I use) then NDMPD.NLM starts eating all the spare memory
    until the server crashes. As it's a third-party nlm the only thing the Novell
    engineer could do was tell me to talk to Veritas.

    Other servers lose memory too, but not to the same debree as this one. The
    only thing different about it is that the main data volume is approx 150bg
    of small gif files - averaging about 40k. There should be some way to back
    this up, even if it's a very slow way. At the moment we cannot get a full
    backup.

    Steve Law

    "Bill Anderson" wrote:

    >We've seen this several times in our organization. It started when we went
    >from BE 9.0 to BE 9.1. I have gotten it to work on one version of 9.1,

    but
    >can't remember which. When we backup a volume that might take 12-24 hrs,
    >200 GB volume, the server will run out of memory and crash. Differentials
    >will work all week long, but full backups would crash every time. Veritas
    >support was of no help.
    >
    >Michael wrote:
    >>Steve
    >>> These appear to work, but now NDMPD.NLM is eating all the memory - in

    >a recent
    >>> test this morning NDMPD's share of the memory jumped from 239k to 100mb,
    >>> and then slowly reduced back to previous levels again.

    >>Does this actually cause a problem with other applications/user
    >>logins/etc.? What I find is that when BE runs a backup, if there's
    >>available memory/processing power there to use, BE will use it, but
    >>relinquish it when other apps require it.
    >>
    >>As long as BE *does* release it (which it appears to do in your case)
    >>and doesn't affect other apps, then it seems to be working correctly.
    >>
    >>Michael
    >>--
    >>"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >>needed a new one anyway"
    >>
    >>* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

+ Reply to Thread