Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe) - Veritas Backup Exec ; Quick check feature always reports error: The file Quick Check attempted to restore was not properly restored. It appears this is accuring on the sys vol. On my other server9.1b1067 the quick check works fine. I've worked with Tech support ...

  1. Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    Quick check feature always reports error: The file Quick Check attempted to
    restore was not properly restored. It appears this is accuring on the sys
    vol. On my other server9.1b1067 the quick check works fine. I've worked
    with Tech support they don't seem to have a good soultion besides unchecking
    under Media Server/ quick check option: "Generate errors if no file meet
    Quick check criteria" and Only verify( Do not restore to target). But I'm
    still getting the same errors. When I run a full verfiy it runs without
    an error. Anyone out there having the same problem?

  2. Re: Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    Eric
    > Quick check feature always reports error: The file Quick Check attempted to
    > restore was not properly restored. It appears this is accuring on the sys
    > vol. On my other server9.1b1067 the quick check works fine. I've worked
    > with Tech support they don't seem to have a good soultion besides unchecking
    > under Media Server/ quick check option: "Generate errors if no file meet
    > Quick check criteria" and Only verify( Do not restore to target). But I'm
    > still getting the same errors. When I run a full verfiy it runs without
    > an error. Anyone out there having the same problem?

    Ok, first of all, there's a bit of a difference between Quick Check and
    Verify:

    1. A Verify simply re-reads the tape and performs a CRC on each file
    from the backup (i.e. generates checksums from the data written to tape
    during the backup). It then compares this checksum to the checksum that
    was created during the backup (this is written to tape with the file
    data) and sees if they match. No restore is performed.

    2. A Quick Check basically performs a redirected restore of a "random"
    file to a temporary directory created under \BKUPEXEC\CHECK (default
    location), preserving the directory tree.

    The latest TSAFS.NLM versions from TSA5UP14/TSA5UP15 (and I presume from
    NW65SP2) seem to have a problem when a redirected restore with "preserve
    tree" is enabled - try going back to TSAFS.NLM from 1st July 2003
    (v6.50.06) first of all. Failing that, uncheck the "Enable Quick Check
    for backups" in the Media Server > Options panel

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    I wrote
    > 2. A Quick Check basically performs a redirected restore of a "random"
    > file to a temporary directory created under \BKUPEXEC\CHECK (default
    > location), preserving the directory tree.
    >>

    > The latest TSAFS.NLM versions from TSA5UP14/TSA5UP15 (and I presume from
    > NW65SP2) seem to have a problem when a redirected restore with "preserve
    > tree" is enabled

    Sorry, in both cases, I meant "without preserving the directory tree" -
    not enough coffee this morning!

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  4. Re: Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    "Eric H" wrote:

    >Quick check feature always reports error: The file Quick Check attempted

    >restore was not properly restored. It appears this is accuring on the sys
    >vol. On my other server9.1b1067 the quick check works fine. I've worked
    >with Tech support they don't seem to have a good soultion besides unchecking
    >under Media Server/ quick check option: "Generate errors if no file meet
    >Quick check criteria" and Only verify( Do not restore to target). But I'm
    >still getting the same errors. When I run a full verfiy it runs without
    >an error. Anyone out there having the same problem?

    Yes I am having problems too. It seems the Quick Check restore is being placed
    in a random directory on SYS and when it does a compare with the intended
    Quick Check directory, the files are not the same. Funny that. Answer seems
    to be turning it off! Search your Sys drive for "check" and see how many
    BUExec has created!

    Simon

  5. Re: Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    Simon & Eric

    Quick Check, when enabled, will try to restore a random file to a
    temporary directory in the BKUPEXEC\CHECK directory. Because it does
    this like a redirected restore without preserving the directory tree, it
    might be an issue with the TSAFS version - you might want to check out

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  6. Re: Quick Check error NW65SP2 NSS & BE9.1b1127 (newbe)

    I'm having the same problem and cannot find any information on the generic
    error that I receive. Did you ever get this resolved?

    "Eric H" wrote:

    >Quick check feature always reports error: The file Quick Check attempted

    >restore was not properly restored. It appears this is accuring on the sys
    >vol. On my other server9.1b1067 the quick check works fine. I've worked
    >with Tech support they don't seem to have a good soultion besides unchecking
    >under Media Server/ quick check option: "Generate errors if no file meet
    >Quick check criteria" and Only verify( Do not restore to target). But I'm
    >still getting the same errors. When I run a full verfiy it runs without
    >an error. Anyone out there having the same problem?

+ Reply to Thread