BE 9.1 1067.2 on NW 6.0, error 24616 repeatedly - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.1 1067.2 on NW 6.0, error 24616 repeatedly - Veritas Backup Exec ; Netware 6.0 sp3 Adaptec 29160 card with adpt160m.ham driver (latest from adaptec) Seagate Scorpion Autoloader (6 slot) The 24616 error is occurring in about 10 of our offices under different conditions, including: backing up restoring cleaning Also found in the ...

  1. BE 9.1 1067.2 on NW 6.0, error 24616 repeatedly

    Netware 6.0 sp3
    Adaptec 29160 card with adpt160m.ham driver (latest from adaptec)
    Seagate Scorpion Autoloader (6 slot)

    The 24616 error is occurring in about 10 of our offices under different conditions,
    including:
    backing up
    restoring
    cleaning

    Also found in the logs is this information:
    Sense Data: 70 00 03 00 - 00 00 00 0a - 00 00 00 00 - 3b 08 00 00
    Drive Type: 4MM DAT
    Status Code: Medium Error
    Fault Code: Reposition error

    I have numerous tickets open with veritas and one open with adaptec to see
    if we can figure out what to do. I have had Veritas techs tell me to disable
    wide negotiation, I have had other techs tell me to never, ever do this.

    We have debugged, scanned and wrestled with this to no avail. Does anyone
    out there have any suggestions at all?? Any help would be most gratefully
    received.

    Thanks.

    Carlyn Chapman
    Technical Support
    Dillon Consulting
    519-438-1288 X274

  2. Re: BE 9.1 1067.2 on NW 6.0, error 24616 repeatedly

    Carlyn, when I encounter strange device responses, the first thing I do
    is slow the SCSI transfer speed down. I've worked weith embedded
    160-based controllers (Compaq Proliant ML-370 G2, etc.), and slowing the
    transfer speed was the only thing which worked.

    Other thoughts: What else is on the bus? Because SCSI is serial (by
    nature & design), other devices can cause interruptions in the data
    flow. Think of splitting the tape drive off onto its own bus (or
    controller; we typically use 2940U2B's these days).

    --
    Lewis
    Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA