Cascaded drivepool question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cascaded drivepool question - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello there! I tryed to create and use cascaded drivepool to backup. I don't work. When 1st tape in first drive comes full, it don't continue second tape in second drive. I found from manual that cascaded drivepool require all ...

  1. Cascaded drivepool question

    Hello there!

    I tryed to create and use cascaded drivepool to backup. I don't work.
    When 1st tape in first drive comes full, it don't continue second tape in
    second drive.

    I found from manual that cascaded drivepool require all drives on it have to
    be from same manufacturer and have same product ID.
    It sounds strange to me. Does anybody know why is that? I have 2 DLT drives
    from different manufacturer, so is there anything to do now?

    Netware 6, SP2. BE 9.0 Rev 4202

    - Jan

  2. Re: Cascaded drivepool question

    Jan
    > I found from manual that cascaded drivepool require all drives on it have to
    > be from same manufacturer and have same product ID.
    > It sounds strange to me. Does anybody know why is that?

    It's a definite requirement, and is more than likely because of driver
    issues - different manufacturer's drives will require different drivers
    to be loaded.

    > I have 2 DLT drives from different manufacturer, so is there
    > anything to do now?

    About the best you're going to get is to use them as two seperate
    drives.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Cascaded drivepool question

    OK, thanks Michael. One more question:
    If I make one full backup once in a week and 4 days differential copies, and
    split this now to 2 different jobs (with different drives) shoud I make also
    2 differential jobs for differential copies, or can one differential job to
    one drive handle this?

    - Jan

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1b27c8eeb6b362249896a7@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Jan
    > > I found from manual that cascaded drivepool require all drives on it

    have to
    > > be from same manufacturer and have same product ID.
    > > It sounds strange to me. Does anybody know why is that?

    > It's a definite requirement, and is more than likely because of driver
    > issues - different manufacturer's drives will require different drivers
    > to be loaded.
    >
    > > I have 2 DLT drives from different manufacturer, so is there
    > > anything to do now?

    > About the best you're going to get is to use them as two seperate
    > drives.
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: Cascaded drivepool question

    Jan
    > OK, thanks Michael. One more question:
    > If I make one full backup once in a week and 4 days differential copies, and
    > split this now to 2 different jobs (with different drives) shoud I make also
    > 2 differential jobs for differential copies, or can one differential job to
    > one drive handle this?

    Hmmmm, as long as you can read the media in both drives, then it
    shouldn't really matter which drive handles which job - you just won't
    be able to use a cascaded drive pool to span media if the job spills
    past one tape.

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"