Help PLEASE with BE9.1 and NW6 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Help PLEASE with BE9.1 and NW6 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running Netware 6 recently upgraded to SP4, and BE9.1 I recently downloaded and installed build 1067.2 of BE. Version.doc says that it is 1067.2, but BEDIAG.FAX says it is build 0306.12. So I don't know what build is ...

  1. Help PLEASE with BE9.1 and NW6

    I am running Netware 6 recently upgraded to SP4, and BE9.1

    I recently downloaded and installed build 1067.2 of BE. Version.doc says
    that it is 1067.2, but BEDIAG.FAX says it is build 0306.12. So I don't
    know what build is actually in place, although the date stamps of the files
    are 03/04/04.

    I'm having some weird problems.

    1) I have a Dell PV-100T-DDS4 tape drive. It's been working for almost a
    year. No backup was done Friday night, because according to BE, the tape
    drive status was "Disconnected". After downing the server 3 different
    times, it finally recognized it, and I did get a backup.

    2) It got a backup last night also, but when I tried to backup something
    else this morning the drive status was "Disconnected" again, and it put the
    job on hold.

    3) I unloaded BE's Administration Console, and typed BESTOP. When I ran
    BESTART again it would not let me log in - because somehow the SHUTDOWN
    command was given to the Netware server. When it restarted, the tape drive
    showed as "Enabled"

    So, does BESTOP now shutdown the server? If so, how do I turn off that
    function?

    What is causing the tape drive to become disconnected?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Help PLEASE with BE9.1 and NW6

    Tim
    > I recently downloaded and installed build 1067.2 of BE. Version.doc says
    > that it is 1067.2, but BEDIAG.FAX says it is build 0306.12. So I don't
    > know what build is actually in place, although the date stamps of the files
    > are 03/04/04.

    From the date stamps, it sounds like you're on 1067.2. Did you create a
    new BEDIAG.FAX or is it an old one? To be sure, delete the BEDIAG.FAX
    file and do a LOAD BEDIAG.NLM at the server console prompt.

    > So, does BESTOP now shutdown the server?

    No, it doesn't - it simply stops the BE application from running. To be
    sure, take a look in the SYS:SYSTEM\BESTOP.NCF, SYS:BKUPEXEC\BESTOP.CFG
    files to make sure that there's no weird NLMs or shutdown command being
    run. If in doubt, post the contents here.

    > What is causing the tape drive to become disconnected?

    Firstly, make sure you're running driver set 05
    (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267796.htm)
    Does the drive need cleaning? Is the SCSI cable securely attached (& not
    kinked) to both the drive & the HBA?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Help PLEASE with BE9.1 and NW6

    Michael wrote in
    news:MPG.1b27cd11f4bf03e89896a9@news.support.verit as.com:

    > From the date stamps, it sounds like you're on 1067.2. Did you create
    > a new BEDIAG.FAX or is it an old one? To be sure, delete the
    > BEDIAG.FAX file and do a LOAD BEDIAG.NLM at the server console prompt.

    After erasing it and reloading BEDIAG, the version came through as 1067.2

    > No, it doesn't - it simply stops the BE application from running. To
    > be sure, take a look in the SYS:SYSTEM\BESTOP.NCF,
    > SYS:BKUPEXEC\BESTOP.CFG files to make sure that there's no weird NLMs
    > or shutdown command being run. If in doubt, post the contents here.

    Nothing abnormal that I could see

    > Firstly, make sure you're running driver set 05
    > (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267796.htm)
    > Does the drive need cleaning? Is the SCSI cable securely attached (&
    > not kinked) to both the drive & the HBA?

    I've now downloaded driver set 05. Cleaning was not the problem, as I
    tried it several times. It did work properly Monday and Tuesday nights, so
    now I'll keep a watch.

    Thanks for the help
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread