Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do - Veritas Backup Exec ; Phil > 2. On 2 servers, whenever I erase a tape the tape will always eject itself > with no reason I can fathom. Look in the default policy in the pre/post options - have you got "eject media" checked? ...

  1. Re: Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do

    Phil
    > 2. On 2 servers, whenever I erase a tape the tape will always eject itself
    > with no reason I can fathom.

    Look in the default policy in the pre/post options - have you got "eject
    media" checked? If so, uncheck it. An erase job is classed as a "utility
    job" and utility jobs use the default policy. See

    > All Back-up exec jobs are set-up identically,

    I don't think this is a "job" problem per se, if this is again a
    rotation job, then the job schedule might be out of sync with the media
    sets. What type of job is being run, and what media set "should" it be
    requiring?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  2. Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do

    I have 14 NetWare Servers but for 6 of them, I have odd things that I have
    to go through before I can get a successful backup.

    1. With 8 Servers, I simply put one of my rotation tapes in and the backup
    requires no further action. On 6, I have to erase the tape and then add the
    media to the default list before a backup will run. If I don't then the next
    morning I am faced with an alert asking me to put a valid tape in the drive.

    2. On 2 servers, whenever I erase a tape the tape will always eject itself
    with no reason I can fathom.

    All Back-up exec jobs are set-up identically, so I can't sew what some jobs
    work differently

  3. Re: Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do

    Thanks Michael

    Yes the job policies do not have eject selected.

    As far as the rotation is concerned it's one of the tapes that is used regularly
    on a weekly basis and should, as I understand it be in the rotation once
    added to the default media

    Regards
    Phil

    Michael wrote:
    >Phil
    >> 2. On 2 servers, whenever I erase a tape the tape will always eject itself
    >> with no reason I can fathom.

    >Look in the default policy in the pre/post options - have you got "eject

    >media" checked? If so, uncheck it. An erase job is classed as a "utility

    >job" and utility jobs use the default policy. See
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260496.htm
    >
    >> All Back-up exec jobs are set-up identically,

    >I don't think this is a "job" problem per se, if this is again a
    >rotation job, then the job schedule might be out of sync with the media

    >sets. What type of job is being run, and what media set "should" it be
    >requiring?
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    >"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    >needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: Erasing tapes prior to back-up. Odd things I have to do

    Phil

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you

    > Yes the job policies do not have eject selected.

    The job policies, or the default policy? A utility job (like erase) only
    uses the default policy - not any you've additionally created.

    > As far as the rotation is concerned it's one of the tapes that is used regularly
    > on a weekly basis and should, as I understand it be in the rotation once
    > added to the default media

    Well yes, if you've erased the tape, it'll go in the rotation once
    you've added it to the default media set. But if it's already allocated
    to a media set and isn't available to be overwritten/appended to, this
    may be why you're having to erase it.

    Are you using an automated media rotation, or have you created your own?
    Which backup is being performed - daily, weekly, monthly?
    What's the media overwrite protection level that you've set?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"