Error 1050, now won't detect tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Error 1050, now won't detect tape drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I posted this yesterday at the Veritas web site forms via HTTP. However, it seems like those forms are visited much less frequently than these, so I'm reposting it here along with one bit of info I forgot to include. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error 1050, now won't detect tape drive

  1. Error 1050, now won't detect tape drive

    I posted this yesterday at the Veritas web site forms via HTTP. However, it seems like those forms are visited much less frequently than these, so I'm reposting it here along with one bit of info I forgot to include.


    I am running a Netware 6 network with a HP SureStore DAT 40x6 tape drive with Backup Exec 9.1. We have been running 9.1 for at least 4-6 months now, having upgraded from 9.0. This weekend I upgraded our five Netware servers, which included the one running Backup Exec, from Netware 6 Support Pack 3 to Netware 6 Support Pack 4. I had the support packk install backup the files before installing the Support Pack. After downing the server and bringing it back up the Backup Server gave the following error:

    Error: 1050

    A LUN-based device has been detected on host adaptor number 0. LUN suppot has not been fully enabled.

    I searched the Veritas knowledgebase and found doc #247324. I added the -L switch to my backupexec.nlm file. Since this has been working for a long time I didn't look into messing with the SCSI HBA. I ran bestop and then bestart and still got this 1050 error. I then did some searching and found a reference to new Backup Exec drivers. I found them on this web site and installed them to the appropriate folder. I then ran bestop and bestart and it successfully loaded the BE program. Only problem is that now the tape drive is "disconnected." However as far as I can tell Netware sees the tape drive just fine. I rebooted the Netware server to see if that would do anything but it didn't. I used the HP LTT utility and confirmed that it was still functional and it had the latest firmware.

    I saw another post in the HTTP Data Protection->BE for Netware forum about rolling back to a previous tape drive driver or something to that effect. In that case it was someone upgrading from NW6 SP2 to SP3. Is that something I need to look into for this? What do I need to do to get my tape drive working again?

    Matthew

  2. Re: Error 1050, now won't detect tape drive

    Taking the advice from one of the other discussions in the HTTP version of these forms I did some checking on file dates and versions. When I installed NW6 SP4 I made sure to have the SP install backup the files. Searching in there I found the scsihd.cdm file dated 11/22/2002 and the aha2940.ham file dated 8/28/2002. I downed the server and did a dir aha* and dir scsi* and found that both of the files there were newer than these two. I then renamed the newer versions to *.bak and copied in the older versions thanks to a floppy disk. I then brought the server back up and it detected the tape robot like it should. I'm currently inventoring the tapes and will have it run the nightly incremental. I'll report back tommorow with how it did backing up.

    Matthew

  3. Updated to BE 9.1 Build 1067.2

    I updated my servers from an earlier build of BE 9.1 to the current 1067.2 build and that fixed the problems.

    Matthew

+ Reply to Thread