BE Password - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE Password - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, When installing BE 8.5 I entered the password for Admin account, so now every time the BE loads after server reboot it prompts me for the password. I would prefer to leave the password out. Where can I disable ...

  1. BE Password

    Hello,
    When installing BE 8.5 I entered the password for Admin account, so now every
    time the BE loads after server reboot it prompts me for the password. I
    would prefer to leave the password out. Where can I disable it?

    Thank you,
    Jana

  2. Re: BE Password

    You can't. You must use a valid NDS credential to login, and it must
    have the necessary rights to access the resources to be backed up and
    also to restore. An account with no password would be the only way
    around that, and that's not good for obvious security reasons.
    --

    -Barry.

  3. Re: BE Password

    Barry, thank you; in the past we used to run BE8.5 on NW5.0 without any account
    (I think when it was installed, the account info was just left blank) so
    when the server was rebooted, it just loaded BE. Then I upgraded to NW5.1
    and reinstalled the BE and entered the info for the admin account and - BUM
    - now every time the server is rebooted the BE is requesting admin password!
    Very inconvenient! I guess the only workaround is to reinstall BE with
    blank account info.

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >You can't. You must use a valid NDS credential to login, and it must
    >have the necessary rights to access the resources to be backed up and
    >also to restore. An account with no password would be the only way
    >around that, and that's not good for obvious security reasons.
    >--
    >
    >-Barry.

  4. Re: BE Password

    I don't recall 8.5 working that way at all. The first time you start
    it after an install you *must* provide a valid NetWare credential. The
    only way to have no password is to have an account in NDS/eDir that
    does not have a password assigned, and as I already pointed out, that's
    not a good idea for security reasons.
    --

    -Barry.

  5. Re: BE Password

    That's it, Barry, you are right, there used to be an NDS account for BE;
    after upgrade it has a question mark next to it in NWAdmin.
    I also used to backup Server.NovellDir/Tree/Schema and Root info, but after
    upgrade (nw5.0 to nw5.1) BE skipps them due to "Insufficient privilege".
    Now there also appears Server.NFS/ServerSpecificInfo object to backup but
    fails as well because of Insufficient privilege. Do you think it has to
    do with the new Security container under Root (it came with NW5.1) This
    Security container has our Tree Organizational CA object and KAP object with
    a squared ? mark next to it.

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >I don't recall 8.5 working that way at all. The first time you start
    >it after an install you *must* provide a valid NetWare credential. The

    >only way to have no password is to have an account in NDS/eDir that
    >does not have a password assigned, and as I already pointed out, that's

    >not a good idea for security reasons.
    >--
    >
    >-Barry.

  6. Re: BE Password

    In article <4004482f@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Jana Lebedin wrote:

    > That's it, Barry, you are right, there used to be an NDS account for BE;
    > after upgrade it has a question mark next to it in NWAdmin.

    Yellow circle or white square? Yellow circle means the object is unknown. If
    yellow, you should delete it then reinstall the BE snapins. Or if white
    square, the snapins aren't present anymore or not installed for the copy of
    NWAdmin you're running. Run NWAdmin from the server where you installed BE.

    You might also need to re-extend the schema for BE's objects. You should be
    able to do that from the Tools menu in NWAdmin. If the option isn't there,
    run NWAdmin from the server you have installed BE on. If that still doesn't
    work, find the SNAPIN folder under SYS:BKUPEXEC. I think there's a help file
    or readme there.

    > Do you think it has to do with the new Security container under Root (it
    > came with NW5.1) This Security container has our Tree Organizational CA
    > object and KAP object with a squared ? mark next to it.

    The white square means there's no snapin for the object. Use ConsoleOne to
    manage this instead.

    --

    -Barry.

  7. Re: BE Password

    Thank you, Barry; and how can I overcome skipping (due to "Insufficient privilege")
    the NovellDir/Tree/Schema and Root info of other backuped servers?

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >In article <4004482f@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Jana Lebedin wrote:
    >
    >> That's it, Barry, you are right, there used to be an NDS account for

    BE;
    >> after upgrade it has a question mark next to it in NWAdmin.

    >Yellow circle or white square? Yellow circle means the object is unknown.

    If
    >yellow, you should delete it then reinstall the BE snapins. Or if white

    >square, the snapins aren't present anymore or not installed for the copy

    of
    >NWAdmin you're running. Run NWAdmin from the server where you installed

    BE.

    >You might also need to re-extend the schema for BE's objects. You should

    be
    >able to do that from the Tools menu in NWAdmin. If the option isn't there,

    >run NWAdmin from the server you have installed BE on. If that still doesn't

    >work, find the SNAPIN folder under SYS:BKUPEXEC. I think there's a help

    file
    >or readme there.
    >
    >> Do you think it has to do with the new Security container under Root (it

    >> came with NW5.1) This Security container has our Tree Organizational

    CA
    >> object and KAP object with a squared ? mark next to it.

    >The white square means there's no snapin for the object. Use ConsoleOne

    >manage this instead.
    >
    >--
    >
    >-Barry.

  8. Re: BE Password

    I'd start with DSREPAIR. Make sure your tree is healthy before doing
    anything else to try to fix this.

    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread