Restore error with alleged "compressed data" - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restore error with alleged "compressed data" - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have seen this error discussed in the past but unsure if this is the same issue. I have the need to restore a file from a tape from last year. The tape was made by BE8.5 from a 5.1 ...

  1. Restore error with alleged "compressed data"

    I have seen this error discussed in the past but unsure if this is the same
    issue.

    I have the need to restore a file from a tape from last year. The tape was
    made by BE8.5 from a 5.1 Novell Server on a Quantum DLT 4000 engine.

    The restore is attempted using BE9 on a NW 6 Server on a Quantum DLT 8000
    engine.

    The error I am getting is "Error restoring file xxxxxxxx. Attempted to put
    compressed data on non-compressed volume.

    None of my volumes are ever compressed. What is true is that the tape was
    created with "hardware compression on"

    If Novell managed to "turn on" compression on the volume without my
    knowledge, how can I restore this file? (Obviously recopying from a
    non-compressed volume and expanding is not an option)

    Thanks for any advise.

  2. Re: Restore error with alleged "compressed data"

    Raoul,

    Just ran into this myself and the workaround is not easy. What happens
    is that your volume may have been compression-enabled at the original
    install. Once compression is enabled on a volume, it cannot be turned
    off, although you can turn off compression itself "temporarily." There
    are only two fixes for your restore problem:

    1. Create a new volume, enable compression on it, restore the file to
    the compressed volume (you'll have to use the advanced redirect option),
    then expand and copy the file to the volume you want it to reside on.
    OR
    2. Enable compression on your existing volume (believe it or not, the
    only way I was able to get this done was to copy and use NWCONFIG from
    my old NW5 SMS CD, as the NWCONFIG from the NW6 SBS CD doesn't do this.

    I found this all out through a lot of TID research. I also ended up
    forcing immediate compression on the volume prior to the backup by using
    the FLAG *.* +IC /S command at a workstation. Once the volume was
    compression enabled and files were immediately compressed, the files
    were restored with no problem. After the restore was complete, I
    changed the compression parameters to that compression only takes place
    for a few files and only after the backup was run.

    I hope this made sense, it took me a while to figure it out myself.

    Chip Reinhardt

    Raoul Watson wrote:

    >I have seen this error discussed in the past but unsure if this is the same
    >issue.
    >
    >I have the need to restore a file from a tape from last year. The tape was
    >made by BE8.5 from a 5.1 Novell Server on a Quantum DLT 4000 engine.
    >
    >The restore is attempted using BE9 on a NW 6 Server on a Quantum DLT 8000
    >engine.
    >
    >The error I am getting is "Error restoring file xxxxxxxx. Attempted to put
    >compressed data on non-compressed volume.
    >
    >None of my volumes are ever compressed. What is true is that the tape was
    >created with "hardware compression on"
    >
    >If Novell managed to "turn on" compression on the volume without my
    >knowledge, how can I restore this file? (Obviously recopying from a
    >non-compressed volume and expanding is not an option)
    >
    >Thanks for any advise.

  3. Re: Restore error with alleged "compressed data"

    "Chip Reinhardt" wrote in message
    > Raoul,
    >
    > Just ran into this myself and the workaround is not easy. What happens
    > is that your volume may have been compression-enabled at the original
    > install. Once compression is enabled on a volume, it cannot be turned
    > off, although you can turn off compression itself "temporarily." There
    > are only two fixes for your restore problem:
    >
    > 1. Create a new volume, enable compression on it, restore the file to
    > the compressed volume (you'll have to use the advanced redirect option),
    > then expand and copy the file to the volume you want it to reside on.
    > OR
    > 2. Enable compression on your existing volume (believe it or not, the
    > only way I was able to get this done was to copy and use NWCONFIG from
    > my old NW5 SMS CD, as the NWCONFIG from the NW6 SBS CD doesn't do this.
    >
    > I found this all out through a lot of TID research. I also ended up
    > forcing immediate compression on the volume prior to the backup by using
    > the FLAG *.* +IC /S command at a workstation. Once the volume was
    > compression enabled and files were immediately compressed, the files
    > were restored with no problem. After the restore was complete, I
    > changed the compression parameters to that compression only takes place
    > for a few files and only after the backup was run.
    >
    > I hope this made sense, it took me a while to figure it out myself.
    >
    > Chip Reinhardt
    >
    > Raoul Watson wrote:
    >
    > >I have seen this error discussed in the past but unsure if this is the

    same
    > >issue.
    > >
    > >I have the need to restore a file from a tape from last year. The tape

    was
    > >made by BE8.5 from a 5.1 Novell Server on a Quantum DLT 4000 engine.
    > >
    > >The restore is attempted using BE9 on a NW 6 Server on a Quantum DLT 8000
    > >engine.
    > >
    > >The error I am getting is "Error restoring file xxxxxxxx. Attempted to

    put
    > >compressed data on non-compressed volume.
    > >
    > >None of my volumes are ever compressed. What is true is that the tape was
    > >created with "hardware compression on"
    > >
    > >If Novell managed to "turn on" compression on the volume without my
    > >knowledge, how can I restore this file? (Obviously recopying from a
    > >non-compressed volume and expanding is not an option)
    > >
    > >Thanks for any advise.

    Chip..
    Thanks you so much for taking the time and giving such a detailed response.
    Looks like I am stuck on enabling compression before I can restore these
    files.
    Thanks again for your help..

+ Reply to Thread