No incremental backups: BENW9 Linux agent - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on No incremental backups: BENW9 Linux agent - Veritas Backup Exec ; I was disappointed to find that BackupExec 9 for Netware can't do incremental backups from the Linux remote agent "because Linux filesystems don't have an archive bit". ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189448.htm ). This makes the agent useless for our daily backups. But ...

  1. No incremental backups: BENW9 Linux agent

    I was disappointed to find that BackupExec 9 for Netware can't do
    incremental backups from the Linux remote agent "because Linux
    filesystems don't have an archive bit".
    ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189448.htm ).

    This makes the agent useless for our daily backups. But it hurt more
    to find that this was fixed in BE9 for Windows Servers
    ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192119.htm ), so incremental
    backups will use file modification time rather than archive bit, but
    that this fix was not made to the Netware version. Unfair! Do we get
    this in BENW 9.1? In a future version, perhaps?

  2. Re: No incremental backups: BENW9 Linux agent

    ljb wrote:
    >I was disappointed to find that BackupExec 9 for Netware can't do
    >incremental backups from the Linux remote agent "because Linux
    >filesystems don't have an archive bit".
    >( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189448.htm ).
    >
    >This makes the agent useless for our daily backups. But it hurt more
    >to find that this was fixed in BE9 for Windows Servers
    >( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192119.htm ), so incremental
    >backups will use file modification time rather than archive bit, but
    >that this fix was not made to the Netware version. Unfair! Do we get
    >this in BENW 9.1? In a future version, perhaps?

    Try the Option "Working-Set" with the Range of Day´s (Standard 30 Day´s)

  3. Re: No incremental backups: BENW9 Linux agent

    please@nospam.de wrote:

    > ljb wrote:
    >>I was disappointed to find that BackupExec 9 for Netware can't do
    >>incremental backups from the Linux remote agent "because Linux
    >>filesystems don't have an archive bit".
    >>( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189448.htm ).
    >>
    >>This makes the agent useless for our daily backups. But it hurt more
    >>to find that this was fixed in BE9 for Windows Servers
    >>( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192119.htm ), so incremental
    >>backups will use file modification time rather than archive bit, but
    >>that this fix was not made to the Netware version. Unfair! Do we get
    >>this in BENW 9.1? In a future version, perhaps?

    > Try the Option "Working-Set" with the Range of Day´s (Standard 30 Day´s)

    I think the problem is that "Working-Set" is a policy option, and so would
    apply to all backup sets in the backup job. That won't help if you need to
    back up different server types in one backup job. We want to back up Novell
    volumes with archive-bit-based incrementals, but Linux volumes with
    modification-date-based incremental. As I understand it, that is exactly
    what BE for Windows servers does, but not BE for Novell.

+ Reply to Thread