Translation error on media - Solution - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Translation error on media - Solution - Veritas Backup Exec ; We had been getting an error when using Backup Exec for NetWare 9.0. The message was "Translation error on media." I searched all over the net for a solution, and while other people had the same problem I couldn't find ...

  1. Translation error on media - Solution

    We had been getting an error when using Backup Exec for NetWare 9.0. The
    message was "Translation error on media." I searched all over the net for
    a solution, and while other people had the same problem I couldn't find a
    solution anywhere. I finally found the answer myself, at least in our case,
    and I wanted to post it here so that others could find it. As someone else
    mentioned in a post, the problem only occurs in the verify stage. Through
    a trial and error process I found that we had one particular eDirectory item,
    a ZfD application object, that when BE tried to verify it the error would
    result. I didn't need the object anyway, so I deleted it, and the backup/verify
    process has been working fine ever since. I hope this helps someone else.

  2. Re: Translation error on media - Solution

    If you are getting the error during a verify of the 'Novell Directory' then
    it is possible the issue is not a corrupt NDS object. I had the same issue
    recently and came to the same conclusion as yourself - I deleted the object
    - only to find it reoccurred a month later with another object.

    However I have since discovered from Veritas this is a bug in BENW 9.0 (and
    the current 9.1 build for that matter) that causes this error if the NDS
    object is a specific number of bytes smaller than a multiple of the block
    size of the tape. Given this is a ZEN object which tend to be quite large
    then this is quite a common occurance. In my case this was 64KB as I use
    DLT drives.

    One workaround is to change the block size on the tape device but this is
    not ideal and may actually move the error to another object. Another workaround
    is to increase/decrease the size of the NDS object - in the case of the Zen
    object this could be easily done by typing some text into one of the free
    text fields (eg the Admin notes area).

    I would hope Veritas realise this issue needs to be fixed ASAP in v9.0 and
    v9.1.
    I can't pin them down to a specific time frame which is frustrating.

    BTW. You only get this error during a verify of the 'Novell Directory' session
    so any other BENW users might want to enable verify to see if they are affected
    by this issue.

    If you are seeing this issue pls log a call with Veritas to push through
    a quick resolution.

    "Jim Wagner" wrote:

    >We had been getting an error when using Backup Exec for NetWare 9.0. The
    >message was "Translation error on media." I searched all over the net for
    >a solution, and while other people had the same problem I couldn't find

    >solution anywhere. I finally found the answer myself, at least in our case,
    >and I wanted to post it here so that others could find it. As someone else
    >mentioned in a post, the problem only occurs in the verify stage. Through
    >a trial and error process I found that we had one particular eDirectory

    item,
    >a ZfD application object, that when BE tried to verify it the error would
    >result. I didn't need the object anyway, so I deleted it, and the backup/verify
    >process has been working fine ever since. I hope this helps someone else.

+ Reply to Thread