Getting BackupExec to unload - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Getting BackupExec to unload - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are running Backup Exec for Novell version 9.0. The differential that we ran last night caused an abend on the server NW 5.1 SP5. That job is stuck and will not let me fully execute BESTOP. But I cannot ...

  1. Getting BackupExec to unload

    We are running Backup Exec for Novell version 9.0.

    The differential that we ran last night caused an abend on the server NW
    5.1 SP5. That job is stuck and will not let me fully execute BESTOP. But
    I cannot clear the job. I would like to run a full backup before I restart
    that server. Any ideas on how to clear the job so I can get backupexec restarted?

    Thanks for your help.

    Matt Markley

  2. Re: Getting BackupExec to unload

    If your server is in an abend state you shouldn't attempt to back it
    up. You can't attest the its integrity.

    But to clear the stuck job, if you have an external tape drive, try
    ejecting the tape, and/or turning off the drive. Eventually BE should
    let go, but it could take a long time. And if the service that crashed
    was the BE_Controller_Thread, then you are hosed. It will never let go
    because it has been given a full frontal lobotomy and it ain't coming
    back.

    If it ain't coming back, try dismounting your volumes (SYS: last)
    before issuing the DOWN command.

    If you're stuck beyond recovery, go into the emergency console on your
    server ([Ctr]+[Alt]+[Esc]) and see if you can down the server from
    there. Failing that, go into the debugger,
    ([L-Shift]+[R-Shift]+[Alt]+[Esc]), at the # prompt type Q[Enter].

    It's safer than a simple power-down.
    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread