Backup Errors in BE9 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Errors in BE9 - Veritas Backup Exec ; God I hate this product! Every site we have with it causes issues. I have a client with BE9 4175. When the server or BE9 restarts, if the backup jobs attempt to run they get the following error: NDMP Error ...

  1. Backup Errors in BE9

    God I hate this product! Every site we have with it causes
    issues.

    I have a client with BE9 4175.

    When the server or BE9 restarts, if the backup jobs attempt
    to run they get the following error:

    NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). Unable to open target
    media device. The device may be unavailable or it may not be
    responding.

    If we go into the Drives, Standalone and try and select the
    drive detected, it gives an error about media operations not
    performed already.
    After which we do an inventory and the backup's work fine
    for a while. If we restart we need to inventory a tape
    before the system works.

    What is causing this?

  2. Re: Backup Errors in BE9

    In article <3fd523a4@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Andre Southgate wrote:

    > I have a client with BE9 4175.

    That's one problem right there. Get the 4202 build. Much, much
    better. If that doesn't fully clear things up, then post a reply and
    we'll go from there.

    --

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Backup Errors in BE9

    I have been using Build 4202 since it came out and still see sporadic NDMPD
    errors. Running on NW6sp3 with IBM SDLT autoloader (Quantum OEM).
    Invariably get NDMPD error on booing the server, have to unload Backup Exec,
    reload it and most times the error goes away. Also get the error with a
    couple of the tapes and after you get the error nothing bur a cold boot of
    the server will make the error go away. Very irritating ...

    Shivaji
    Shivaji Samanta
    Wytheville Community College

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > In article <3fd523a4@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Andre Southgate wrote:
    >
    > > I have a client with BE9 4175.

    > That's one problem right there. Get the 4202 build. Much, much
    > better. If that doesn't fully clear things up, then post a reply and
    > we'll go from there.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  4. Re: Backup Errors in BE9

    Yes, but it's far less frequent with 4202, at least in my experience.
    9.1 seems to have it fixed.
    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread