Overwrite Alert - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite Alert - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, We currently have our "Overwrite protection" set for 6 days. If we forget to change a tape one day, on the next day when the backups run we get an alert asking if we want to continue and overwrite ...

  1. Overwrite Alert

    Hello,

    We currently have our "Overwrite protection" set for 6 days. If we forget
    to change a tape one day, on the next day when the backups run we get an
    alert asking if we want to continue and overwrite the tape. Of course, the
    backups are running when no one is here, so we don't get this message until
    the next day. To compound the issue, if the person who receive the e-mail
    regarding this alert is not in and the alert is not addressed, no backups
    occur until the alert is acknowledged, even if the tapes are now being
    changed.

    My question: Is there a way to automatically answer that alert? I want to
    automatically skip the backup if the tape isn't changed after 15 minutes.
    Is this possible? It should be, so how is it done?

    Timothy M. Musa
    Community Consolidated School District 93
    Carol Stream, IL

    http://www.d93.dupage.k12.il.us/

  2. Re: Overwrite Alert

    Tim Musa wrote in
    news:Xns9447540495384opel70bigfootcom@143.127.144. 215:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We currently have our "Overwrite protection" set for 6 days. If we
    > forget to change a tape one day, on the next day when the backups run
    > we get an alert asking if we want to continue and overwrite the tape.
    > Of course, the backups are running when no one is here, so we don't
    > get this message until the next day. To compound the issue, if the
    > person who receive the e-mail regarding this alert is not in and the
    > alert is not addressed, no backups occur until the alert is
    > acknowledged, even if the tapes are now being changed.
    >
    > My question: Is there a way to automatically answer that alert? I
    > want to automatically skip the backup if the tape isn't changed after
    > 15 minutes. Is this possible? It should be, so how is it done?

    And yes, I do have the "Prompt timeout" configured to 15 minutes for the
    media server.