Upgrading to an autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Upgrading to an autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec ; NW5.1, Backupexec v9.0. I've presently got an HP DAT40i on an Adaptec 7870 on board adapter. I'm about to swap it for an HP DDS4 40x6 autoloader. There seem to be a number of steps to getting this working. Is ...

  1. Upgrading to an autoloader

    NW5.1, Backupexec v9.0. I've presently got an HP DAT40i on an Adaptec 7870

    on board adapter. I'm about to swap it for an HP DDS4 40x6 autoloader.

    There seem to be a number of steps to getting this working. Is there
    anyone who could cast their eye over my notes below to see whether I've
    missed anything? Many thanks

    1. Edit startup.ncf:
    Change LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 to
    LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 lun_enable=ff

    2. Shutdown server. Remove DAT40i, check SCSI ID of old drive and set
    on autoloader. Install autoloader

    3. Restart server and enter SCSI adapter setup:
    Ctrl+A > Configure/View Host Adapter Settingss > SCSI Device Configuration

    Set:
    Maximum sync rate to 80
    Wide negotiation to yes
    BIOS Multiple LUN support to yes

    4. Edit bestart.ncf: add -L to BKUPEXEC.NLM line

    Anything else? Anything I need to do in the Bkupexec client to use the new

    autoloader? Am I right in thinking I don't need to buy any add ons for
    just one autoloader?

    Thanks

    Phil

  2. Re: Upgrading to an autoloader

    Looks good - except for the Max Sync Rate setting. All the notes I have
    seen recommend that you use lower settings - between 3 - 22 MB/Sec
    (http://seer.support/veritas.com/docs/231488.htm and others). According to
    the note referenced above, enable disconnect and enable Sync Negotiation
    should also be set to NO.

    Shivaji
    Shivaji Samanta
    Wytheville Community College

    "Phil" wrote in message

    > NW5.1, Backupexec v9.0. I've presently got an HP DAT40i on an Adaptec

    7870

    > on board adapter. I'm about to swap it for an HP DDS4 40x6 autoloader.
    >
    > There seem to be a number of steps to getting this working. Is there
    > anyone who could cast their eye over my notes below to see whether I've
    > missed anything? Many thanks
    >

    > 1. Edit startup.ncf:
    > Change LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 to
    > LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 lun_enable=ff
    >
    > 2. Shutdown server. Remove DAT40i, check SCSI ID of old drive and set
    > on autoloader. Install autoloader
    >
    > 3. Restart server and enter SCSI adapter setup:
    > Ctrl+A > Configure/View Host Adapter Settingss > SCSI Device Configuration
    >
    > Set:
    > Maximum sync rate to 80
    > Wide negotiation to yes
    > BIOS Multiple LUN support to yes
    >
    > 4. Edit bestart.ncf: add -L to BKUPEXEC.NLM line
    >

    > Anything else? Anything I need to do in the Bkupexec client to use the

    new

    > autoloader? Am I right in thinking I don't need to buy any add ons for
    > just one autoloader?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Phil

  3. Re: Upgrading to an autoloader

    Thanks for your response Shivaji. I actually had to go for it before I'd
    seen your reply. It went very smoothly and seems to be working fine. I've
    got it on 80 MB/sec and so far seems OK, though I'll bear in mind what you
    say. I got the settings off Veritas TechNote 229606. For any one else who
    passes this way looking for info. The only change I made to the list below
    was editing bestart.ncf before I downed the server (kind of obvious when
    you think about it).

    Regards
    Phil

    "Shivaji Samanta" wrote:
    >Looks good - except for the Max Sync Rate setting. All the notes I have
    >seen recommend that you use lower settings - between 3 - 22 MB/Sec
    >(http://seer.support/veritas.com/docs/231488.htm and others). According

    >the note referenced above, enable disconnect and enable Sync Negotiation
    >should also be set to NO.
    >
    >Shivaji
    >__________________________________________________ ________________
    >Shivaji Samanta
    >Wytheville Community College
    >
    >"Phil" wrote in message
    >>
    >> NW5.1, Backupexec v9.0. I've presently got an HP DAT40i on an Adaptec

    >7870
    >>
    >> on board adapter. I'm about to swap it for an HP DDS4 40x6 autoloader.
    >>
    >> There seem to be a number of steps to getting this working. Is there
    >> anyone who could cast their eye over my notes below to see whether I've
    >> missed anything? Many thanks
    >>

    >> 1. Edit startup.ncf:
    >> Change LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 to
    >> LOAD AIC78U2.HAM SLOT=10004 lun_enable=ff
    >>
    >> 2. Shutdown server. Remove DAT40i, check SCSI ID of old drive and set
    >> on autoloader. Install autoloader
    >>
    >> 3. Restart server and enter SCSI adapter setup:
    >> Ctrl+A > Configure/View Host Adapter Settingss > SCSI Device Configuration
    >>
    >> Set:
    >> Maximum sync rate to 80
    >> Wide negotiation to yes
    >> BIOS Multiple LUN support to yes
    >>
    >> 4. Edit bestart.ncf: add -L to BKUPEXEC.NLM line
    >>

    >> Anything else? Anything I need to do in the Bkupexec client to use the

    >new
    >>
    >> autoloader? Am I right in thinking I don't need to buy any add ons for
    >> just one autoloader?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Phil

+ Reply to Thread