NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have been struggling with a problem involving intermittent 100% CPU Utilization on NetWare 6 SP3 servers installed with Backup Exec v9.0 for NetWare updated as follows: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for NetWare 9.0.4202 English/French/German TechFile ID: 260999 Last Updated: ...

  1. NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization

    We have been struggling with a problem involving intermittent 100% CPU Utilization
    on NetWare 6 SP3 servers installed with Backup Exec v9.0 for NetWare updated
    as follows:

    VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for NetWare 9.0.4202 English/French/German
    TechFile ID: 260999 Last Updated: July 31 2003 08:28 PM GMT

    Updated device driver set for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for NetWare
    TechFile ID: 259352 Last Updated: June 18 2003 11:31 PM GMT

    Thread analysis shows JAVA to be the culpret, although I'm not clear why
    BE is using JAVA, as the Windows client is not installed.
    JAVA is however being legimitately used, and is required, by the GroupWise
    Web Access agent.
    We have now been able to identify what triggers the event, which seems to
    be when an error is generated by Backup Exec (Usually a bad media or no tape
    in the drive error)
    Once the backup job completes with an error, and it is is written to the
    backup log, the server seems to jump to 100% CPU Utilization grinding it
    to a vitual halt.
    This condition prevails indefinitely and is only resolvable with the console
    command JAVA -EXIT
    After this the CPU returns to normal within a few seconds.
    Of course this stops TOMCAT running and therefore prevents future GroupWise
    Web Access.
    Restarting TOMCAT33 brings the server back to normal, until the next BE error
    when the CPU jumps to 100% Utilization again.
    We now have this problem with four different servers, all running NetWare
    6 SP3 with the above version of Backup Exec.
    Anyone got any ideas ?
    Splash

  2. Re: NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization

    At the server console:

    SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF
    SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED=OFF

    Then run PURGENW.NLM once on that server.

    http://support.novell.com/servlet/fi...b/purge_nw.exe

    -Barry.

  3. Re: NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > At the server console:
    >
    > SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED=OFF
    > SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED=OFF
    >
    > Then run PURGENW.NLM once on that server.
    >
    > http://support.novell.com/servlet/fi...b/purge_nw.exe

    Barry.. what makes you connect incorrectly set directory attribute to 100%
    CPU utilization?
    Did you pick this up from a TID? If so, can you refer to it?

  4. Re: NW6SP3 Server 100% CPU Utilization

    I don't have the info handy, but I am a SysOp in the Novell forums.
    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread