Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have some tapes that ran out of space and subsequently did not backup everything. If I want to restore a file from a tape like that, that has not been cataloged, I cannot get it to work. It gets ...

  1. Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup

    I have some tapes that ran out of space and subsequently did not backup
    everything. If I want to restore a file from a tape like that, that has not
    been cataloged, I cannot get it to work. It gets to a point where it asks
    for another tape -- and there is no other tape. How can I get BE to just
    catalog that tape only so at least I can restore files I may need to?

  2. Re: Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup

    Thanks, but are you sure that is the right technote? It doesn't really say
    anything other than explain the Utilities from the menu which I already
    understand.

    "Mako" wrote in message news:3fc3fc42@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "D. Bell" wrote:
    > >I have some tapes that ran out of space and subsequently did not backup
    > >everything. If I want to restore a file from a tape like that, that has

    > not
    > >been cataloged, I cannot get it to work. It gets to a point where it

    asks
    > >for another tape -- and there is no other tape. How can I get BE to just
    > >catalog that tape only so at least I can restore files I may need to?
    > >

    > Check out the following technote;
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/188768.htm

  3. Re: Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup

    "D. Bell" wrote:
    >I have some tapes that ran out of space and subsequently did not backup
    >everything. If I want to restore a file from a tape like that, that has

    not
    >been cataloged, I cannot get it to work. It gets to a point where it asks
    >for another tape -- and there is no other tape. How can I get BE to just
    >catalog that tape only so at least I can restore files I may need to?

    Check out the following technote;

  4. Re: Catalog Tape from Incomplete Backup

    Aha,
    You can always try;
    1. BESTOP.NCF backup exec at the server
    2. rename the SYS:BKUPEXEC\CATALOGS directory from a workstation to something
    else.
    3. re-create a new "CATALOGS" directory
    4. BESTART.NCF backup exec.
    5. try your catalog again.

    NOTE: renaming the catalogs directory will remove ALL the other catalogs
    of other tapes. You might want to put it back when you have completed your
    restore.

    "D. Bell" wrote:
    >Thanks, but are you sure that is the right technote? It doesn't really

    say
    >anything other than explain the Utilities from the menu which I already
    >understand.
    >

    >"Mako" wrote in message news:3fc3fc42@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> "D. Bell" wrote:
    >> >I have some tapes that ran out of space and subsequently did not backup
    >> >everything. If I want to restore a file from a tape like that, that

    has
    >> not
    >> >been cataloged, I cannot get it to work. It gets to a point where it

    >asks
    >> >for another tape -- and there is no other tape. How can I get BE to

    just
    >> >catalog that tape only so at least I can restore files I may need to?
    >> >

    >> Check out the following technote;
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/188768.htm

+ Reply to Thread