Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent,I'd like to know..... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent,I'd like to know..... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Why erasing a tape causes 100% utilization on a Dual 2.8ghz server with 3GB of ram on a 64 bit PCI-X bus with LTO drives. Can't log in, can't get an IP from the dhcp server on it etc. Now ...

  1. Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent,I'd like to know.....

    Why erasing a tape causes 100% utilization on a Dual 2.8ghz server with
    3GB of ram on a 64 bit PCI-X bus with LTO drives.

    Can't log in, can't get an IP from the dhcp server on it etc.

    Now I know it does this which is why I erase after hours, but come on
    already.

    Patrick

  2. Re: Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent, I'd like to know.....

    "Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > Why erasing a tape causes 100% utilization on a Dual 2.8ghz server with
    > 3GB of ram on a 64 bit PCI-X bus with LTO drives.
    >
    > Can't log in, can't get an IP from the dhcp server on it etc.
    >
    > Now I know it does this which is why I erase after hours, but come on
    > already.
    >
    > Patrick

    I am with you on this..

    Apparently the communication over SCSI bus is so overwhelming.

    I have some tapes written by a different drive / density that requires
    erasing and it basically hangs my users from being able to login. I end up
    making sure I have new tapes or only overwriting tapes of the same density.

  3. Re: Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent, I'd like to know.....

    "Raoul Watson" wrote:

    >"Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    >> Why erasing a tape causes 100% utilization on a Dual 2.8ghz server with
    >> 3GB of ram on a 64 bit PCI-X bus with LTO drives.
    >>
    >> Can't log in, can't get an IP from the dhcp server on it etc.
    >>
    >> Now I know it does this which is why I erase after hours, but come on
    >> already.
    >>
    >> Patrick
    >>

    >I am with you on this..
    >
    >Apparently the communication over SCSI bus is so overwhelming.
    >
    >I have some tapes written by a different drive / density that requires
    >erasing and it basically hangs my users from being able to login. I end

    up
    >making sure I have new tapes or only overwriting tapes of the same density.

    Are you performing a Quick Erase? or an Erase?
    Erase and Retension should only be performed on older technology like the
    old QIC drives.

  4. Re: Just before I dump BE for Netware for Windows with a remote agent, I'd like to know.....

    "Mako" wrote in message news:3fc3f6ff@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "Raoul Watson" wrote:
    > >
    > >"Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > >> Why erasing a tape causes 100% utilization on a Dual 2.8ghz server with
    > >> 3GB of ram on a 64 bit PCI-X bus with LTO drives.
    > >>
    > >> Can't log in, can't get an IP from the dhcp server on it etc.
    > >>
    > >> Now I know it does this which is why I erase after hours, but come on
    > >> already.
    > >>
    > >> Patrick
    > >>

    > >I am with you on this..
    > >
    > >Apparently the communication over SCSI bus is so overwhelming.
    > >
    > >I have some tapes written by a different drive / density that requires
    > >erasing and it basically hangs my users from being able to login. I end

    > up
    > >making sure I have new tapes or only overwriting tapes of the same

    density.

    > Are you performing a Quick Erase? or an Erase?
    > Erase and Retension should only be performed on older technology like the
    > old QIC drives.

    Quick Erase. Takes about 5 mins per tape. I have some older Arcserve 6 / DLT
    4000 engine written tape and BE won't write to it unless erased first.

+ Reply to Thread