Erase works the hold - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Erase works the hold - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BE 9 with the Compaq MSL 5026 DSX robotic unit with 26 slots in a Netware 6 and partition environment (latest RomPaq, uptodate with NW6 SP's) I noticed a strange behavior. If I right mouse click a ...

  1. Erase works the hold

    I am running BE 9 with the Compaq MSL 5026 DSX robotic unit with 26 slots in
    a Netware 6 and partition environment (latest RomPaq, uptodate with NW6
    SP's)

    I noticed a strange behavior. If I right mouse click a partition and do an
    "erase" operation, monitor the job, I can see the tape going in the drive
    (status correctly indictae same), erasing, then returning the tape to slot.

    Then a weird thing follows, the job status now shows "on hold" rather than
    completed. If I right mouse to toggle the "hold" mode, a dialog asked about
    do I want to be prompted when erasing. After that it repeats itself, tape
    into drive, erasing, ejecting, back on hold, etc. etc.

    Attempt to delete this job gives an error message "Invalid Job ID" and "No
    resolution"

    It doesn't do this with backup or restore operation.

    Anyone have seen this or know why?

    Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    _Raoul

  2. Re: Erase works the hold

    "Raoul Watson" wrote:
    >I am running BE 9 with the Compaq MSL 5026 DSX robotic unit with 26 slots

    in
    >a Netware 6 and partition environment (latest RomPaq, uptodate with NW6
    >SP's)
    >
    >I noticed a strange behavior. If I right mouse click a partition and do

    an
    >"erase" operation, monitor the job, I can see the tape going in the drive
    >(status correctly indictae same), erasing, then returning the tape to slot.
    >
    >Then a weird thing follows, the job status now shows "on hold" rather than
    >completed. If I right mouse to toggle the "hold" mode, a dialog asked about
    >do I want to be prompted when erasing. After that it repeats itself, tape
    >into drive, erasing, ejecting, back on hold, etc. etc.
    >
    >Attempt to delete this job gives an error message "Invalid Job ID" and "No
    >resolution"
    >
    >It doesn't do this with backup or restore operation.
    >
    >Anyone have seen this or know why?
    >
    >Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >_Raoul

    Raoul,

    BE is prompting you for some feedback. Are you administering these jobs from
    the server? After starting the job, go to the job manager and view the job
    from there by pressing on it. HOPEfully, that should tell you what
    is going on.

  3. Re: Erase works the hold

    "Mako" wrote in message news:3fc3fa0b@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > "Raoul Watson" wrote:
    > >I am running BE 9 with the Compaq MSL 5026 DSX robotic unit with 26 slots

    > in
    > >a Netware 6 and partition environment (latest RomPaq, uptodate with NW6
    > >SP's)
    > >
    > >I noticed a strange behavior. If I right mouse click a partition and do

    > an
    > >"erase" operation, monitor the job, I can see the tape going in the drive
    > >(status correctly indictae same), erasing, then returning the tape to

    slot.

    > >Then a weird thing follows, the job status now shows "on hold" rather

    than
    > >completed. If I right mouse to toggle the "hold" mode, a dialog asked

    about
    > >do I want to be prompted when erasing. After that it repeats itself, tape
    > >into drive, erasing, ejecting, back on hold, etc. etc.
    > >
    > >Attempt to delete this job gives an error message "Invalid Job ID" and

    "No
    > >resolution"
    > >
    > >It doesn't do this with backup or restore operation.
    > >
    > >Anyone have seen this or know why?
    > >
    > >Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    > >_Raoul
    > >

    > Raoul,
    >
    > BE is prompting you for some feedback. Are you administering these jobs

    from
    > the server? After starting the job, go to the job manager and view the job
    > from there by pressing on it. HOPEfully, that should tell you what
    > is going on.

    I use an admin workstation, but will check the server to see if there is
    some sort of alert hanging around.. can't figure out why BE wouldn't give me
    the alert and the admin workstation though..

+ Reply to Thread