BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, I've got some general questions regarding BE 9.1 on a Netware 6.0 server using a HP DLT autoloader. I've never used a loader before and the Administrator's handbook isn't very helpful on this subjet, so any help would ...

  1. BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions

    Hi all,

    I've got some general questions regarding BE 9.1 on a Netware 6.0 server using a HP DLT autoloader. I've never used a loader before and the Administrator's handbook isn't very helpful on this subjet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The loader is recognized, I've done a inventory and it changed the tapes from all slots, seemed to be OK.

    Here are my questions:

    - I want BE to do one backup a day, using one tape and using the loader slot 1 on monday, slot 2 on tuesday and so on. Not very sophisticated, but this will do. How do I define, that BE should use the loader this way? Or does it use the loader this way by default?

    - When using a loader, which is better: partition mode oder medai management mode?

    - Do I need to eject the tape after the job, or does the loader change the tape itself?

    Thank you in advance!

    -

  2. Re: BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions

    You have to do the initial install in Partition Mode. That is the only way
    I know of to schedule BE to use a particular slot for a backup. In this
    way I would say partition mode is the best choice for you.

    Tim F

    "Marco =?ISO-8859-1?B?QnL8Y2s=?= " wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've got some general questions regarding BE 9.1 on a Netware 6.0 server

    using a HP
    >DLT autoloader. I've never used a loader before and the Administrator's

    handbook isn't
    >very helpful on this subjet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The

    loader is
    >recognized, I've done a inventory and it changed the tapes from all slots,

    seemed to
    >be OK.
    >
    >Here are my questions:
    >
    >- I want BE to do one backup a day, using one tape and using the loader

    slot 1 on monday,
    >slot 2 on tuesday and so on. Not very sophisticated, but this will do. How

    do I define,
    >that BE should use the loader this way? Or does it use the loader this way

    by default?

    >- When using a loader, which is better: partition mode oder medai management

    mode?

    >- Do I need to eject the tape after the job, or does the loader change the

    tape itself?

    >Thank you in advance!
    >

    >-

  3. Re: BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions

    You need to run in Partition Management mode. Delete the partition
    created by default as it will address all of the slots. Then create a
    new partition for each slot in your loader. You can name them however
    you like. I use (slot)day, or (01)M, (02)T, (03)W, etc. I use the
    slot number first because it sorts better as BE presents it in the
    list. Be creative. Use whatever works for you.

    Anyway, then when you create your backup jobs, you have to create a
    different one for each day. Each job will reference its associated
    partition. So you create a Monday job to use partition (01)M, a
    Tuesday job to use (02)T, etc.

    --

    -Barry.

  4. Antw: BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions

    thank you very much! I'll try partition management mode next week.

    cu, Marco

    >>> Marco Brück Montag, 17. November 2003 10:30:27 >>>

    Hi all,

    I've got some general questions regarding BE 9.1 on a Netware 6.0 server using a HP DLT autoloader. I've never used a loader before and the Administrator's handbook isn't very helpful on this subjet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The loader is recognized, I've done a inventory and it changed the tapes from all slots, seemed to be OK.

    Here are my questions:

    - I want BE to do one backup a day, using one tape and using the loader slot 1 on monday, slot 2 on tuesday and so on. Not very sophisticated, but this will do. How do I define, that BE should use the loader this way? Or does it use the loader this way by default?

    - When using a loader, which is better: partition mode oder medai management mode?

    - Do I need to eject the tape after the job, or does the loader change the tape itself?

    Thank you in advance!

    -

  5. Re: BE9.1 and autoloader - general questions

    I might be wrong because my autoloader experience is entirely with BE 8.6
    for Windows, but if I would make sure my tapes were in chronological order
    by Allocated Date in the slots (i.e. slot1 the earliest date, slot 2 next,
    etc.) exactly what Marco asked is accomplished without defining partitions
    or separate jobs.

    "Marco Brück " wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got some general questions regarding BE 9.1 on a Netware 6.0 server

    using a HP DLT autoloader. I've never used a loader before and the
    Administrator's handbook isn't very helpful on this subjet, so any help
    would be greatly appreciated. The loader is recognized, I've done a
    inventory and it changed the tapes from all slots, seemed to be OK.

    > Here are my questions:
    >
    > - I want BE to do one backup a day, using one tape and using the loader

    slot 1 on monday, slot 2 on tuesday and so on. Not very sophisticated, but
    this will do. How do I define, that BE should use the loader this way? Or
    does it use the loader this way by default?

    > - When using a loader, which is better: partition mode oder medai

    management mode?

    > - Do I need to eject the tape after the job, or does the loader change the

    tape itself?

    > Thank you in advance!
    >

    > -

+ Reply to Thread