Connects, scans, but doesn't backup remote Windows servers - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Connects, scans, but doesn't backup remote Windows servers - Veritas Backup Exec ; Been using BUE since 8.5 to backup my NW Media Server, one NT and two 2K remote Windows servers. All works well, but, with the 9.1 version, there seems to be some difference in how the autologin and/or password database ...

  1. Connects, scans, but doesn't backup remote Windows servers

    Been using BUE since 8.5 to backup my NW Media Server, one NT and two 2K
    remote Windows servers. All works well, but, with the 9.1 version, there
    seems to be some difference in how the autologin and/or password database
    works.

    I have an NDS account at the root of my Tree and the same name and password
    in ADS at the root of that tree, and we always use these accounts for backup
    credentials, as the name/password will never change, unlike our usual
    accounts, where the password changes every 90 days. For NDS, BUE has set
    the context, so I just use . For the remote Windows servers, if
    not using autologin, I use \, with the same password for
    each.

    With versions lower than 9.1, this seemed to work fine--either setup an
    autologin, or, use the credentials on each server and keep them in the
    database. With 9.1, something changed. The first time I installed it (not
    over 9.0, but, after uninstalling/deleting 9.0 off of all four servers), I
    had to call Veritas Tech Support as, while I had no problems with
    connecting, selecting and backup of the Media server itself, the remote
    Windows servers would connect/select and prescan, but...nothing backed up
    (the log shows a count of the folders/files, but, 0 bytes backed up). Tech
    support had me delete my autologin credentials, recreate them (making sure
    that there was a check in the Default column), and...it worked. But I had a
    severe lockup problem with OFM and McAfee.

    Soo...now that the .12 version came out, I once again uninstalled/deleted
    all files from all servers, installed from scratch, setup autologin with the
    Default column checked, and...same problem. I called Veritas Tech Support,
    and, they don't have a clue (went through the same credential
    deletion/recreation). The instructions and documentation are deficient in
    this area, as they always have been.

    Anyone else having a similar problem with credentials on remote servers?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Connects, scans, but doesn't backup remote Windows servers

    Hello Bill,

    Is the problem that BE's log shows that 0 files and 0 bytes of data backed
    up when protecting NT? If so, then try running the job with a verify and
    see if the verify info displays a different count. If it does, then it means
    all is well and you can restore... the fault you have discovered here is
    being worked by their (VRTS') engineers.

    If I've misunderstood the problem, then, what is it? Are you receiving any
    errors in a specific job log? Have you tried running BE in debug mode to
    see if that picks up anything.

    Genuinely, it sounds like you have a far better understanding of BE than
    I do considering your installation and history so I'm sure you'll get to
    the bottom of it if you hassle VERITAS' techoes.

    "Bill Bradley" wrote:
    >Been using BUE since 8.5 to backup my NW Media Server, one NT and two 2K
    >remote Windows servers. All works well, but, with the 9.1 version, there
    >seems to be some difference in how the autologin and/or password database
    >works.
    >
    >I have an NDS account at the root of my Tree and the same name and password
    >in ADS at the root of that tree, and we always use these accounts for backup
    >credentials, as the name/password will never change, unlike our usual
    >accounts, where the password changes every 90 days. For NDS, BUE has set
    >the context, so I just use . For the remote Windows servers,

    if
    >not using autologin, I use \, with the same password for
    >each.
    >
    >With versions lower than 9.1, this seemed to work fine--either setup an
    >autologin, or, use the credentials on each server and keep them in the
    >database. With 9.1, something changed. The first time I installed it (not
    >over 9.0, but, after uninstalling/deleting 9.0 off of all four servers),

    >had to call Veritas Tech Support as, while I had no problems with
    >connecting, selecting and backup of the Media server itself, the remote
    >Windows servers would connect/select and prescan, but...nothing backed up
    >(the log shows a count of the folders/files, but, 0 bytes backed up). Tech
    >support had me delete my autologin credentials, recreate them (making sure
    >that there was a check in the Default column), and...it worked. But I had

    >severe lockup problem with OFM and McAfee.
    >
    >Soo...now that the .12 version came out, I once again uninstalled/deleted
    >all files from all servers, installed from scratch, setup autologin with

    the
    >Default column checked, and...same problem. I called Veritas Tech Support,
    >and, they don't have a clue (went through the same credential
    >deletion/recreation). The instructions and documentation are deficient

    in
    >this area, as they always have been.
    >
    >Anyone else having a similar problem with credentials on remote servers?
    >
    >Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread