backup compressed files in decompressed form - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on backup compressed files in decompressed form - Veritas Backup Exec ; Looking for clarification on restoring to different server/OS. NW4.11, BE for NW8.5, DLT 40/80GB drive. Goal: be able to restore files to a Win2000 server running BE 8.x or 9.0, with same tape drive. BE NW 8.5 Compression on tape: ...

  1. backup compressed files in decompressed form

    Looking for clarification on restoring to different server/OS.
    NW4.11, BE for NW8.5, DLT 40/80GB drive.

    Goal: be able to restore files to a Win2000 server running BE 8.x or 9.0,
    with same tape drive.
    BE NW 8.5 Compression on tape: off.
    NW 4.11 disk compression is on (default)
    BE errors out with:
    The on-disk compression feature of the file system does not match that of
    the tape
    Compressed data format is incompatible with the restore target.

    If we "backup compressed files in decompressed form"
    BE will expand files as it backs up, "but we may run out of memory or disk
    space."

    Do files become expanded then on the Novell drives?
    If All files become expanded, then we certainly would run out of space.
    If BE only expands to a buffer area, and the original files are unchanged,
    then we would be OK. I have 2GB disk space free.
    Total used space is about 6GB.

    Thanks
    Bill

  2. Re: backup compressed files in decompressed form

    It should not expand the actual files as they backup. It will either
    do it in a temp file or in server memory. But it should not cause you
    to run out of disk space.

    BUT in order to backup NetWare compressed files and restore them to a
    different platform (e.g., Windows) you must configure BE to expand the
    files on tape.
    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread