New DLT drive on old Compaq server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on New DLT drive on old Compaq server - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE for NW 8.5. 4.5 year old Compaq ProLiant 1600, tape drive failed. I have new Dell DLT VS80 drive w/ 39160 card. I would prefer NOT to install and fight the 39160 through this old server. The compaq server ...

  1. New DLT drive on old Compaq server

    BE for NW 8.5.
    4.5 year old Compaq ProLiant 1600, tape drive failed.
    I have new Dell DLT VS80 drive w/ 39160 card.
    I would prefer NOT to install and fight the 39160 through this old server.

    The compaq server has the proper scsi connection, with the following drivers
    load cpqs710.dsk
    load spqsaspi.nlm.

    My question:
    I want to use this existing old scsi card, but I also want to be able TO
    READ this tape on ANOTHER machine, possibly one with BE 8.x/9.x for Win2000.
    ( I will disable compression).

    ASPI is ASPI? Any scsi card that sees the drive is fine?

    BE for NW will supply the DLTxx.NLM driver. That should give me compatibility
    to read in another machine with same DLT drive?

    thanks
    Bill

  2. Re: New DLT drive on old Compaq server

    Bill
    with a old compaq ultra-wide card, you can use cpqscsi.ham (v1.43).
    I have a DLT4000 and a DLT8000 connected on this card
    I use it before with NW4.11 and BE8.5 and now with NW6 and BE9
    without problem.
    With be 8.5 you must load nwaspi.cdm, with be9 don't load it because
    veritas aspi layer is faster
    You must only remove or rename nwtape.cdm to avoid it is loaded
    if nwtape.cdm is loaded bexx doesn't load

    Pascal

    Bill M wrote:
    > BE for NW 8.5.
    > 4.5 year old Compaq ProLiant 1600, tape drive failed.
    > I have new Dell DLT VS80 drive w/ 39160 card.
    > I would prefer NOT to install and fight the 39160 through this old server.
    >
    > The compaq server has the proper scsi connection, with the following drivers
    > load cpqs710.dsk
    > load spqsaspi.nlm.
    >
    > My question:
    > I want to use this existing old scsi card, but I also want to be able TO
    > READ this tape on ANOTHER machine, possibly one with BE 8.x/9.x for Win2000.
    > ( I will disable compression).
    >
    > ASPI is ASPI? Any scsi card that sees the drive is fine?
    >
    > BE for NW will supply the DLTxx.NLM driver. That should give me compatibility
    > to read in another machine with same DLT drive?
    >
    > thanks
    > Bill

  3. Re: New DLT drive on old Compaq server

    Amazingly the old Compaq accepted the 39160.
    I had to try it, since the new cable conector turned out to be different
    than the prior 50pin. (I thought they were the same). I loaded the HAM driver
    for the 39160.... that goodness for a patched server. Then NWaspi. Cannot
    believe it worked....

    Thanks for help
    Bill

    Pascal BERTON wrote:

    >Bill
    >with a old compaq ultra-wide card, you can use cpqscsi.ham (v1.43).
    >I have a DLT4000 and a DLT8000 connected on this card
    >I use it before with NW4.11 and BE8.5 and now with NW6 and BE9
    >without problem.
    >With be 8.5 you must load nwaspi.cdm, with be9 don't load it because
    >veritas aspi layer is faster
    >You must only remove or rename nwtape.cdm to avoid it is loaded
    >if nwtape.cdm is loaded bexx doesn't load
    >
    >Pascal
    >
    >Bill M wrote:
    >> BE for NW 8.5.
    >> 4.5 year old Compaq ProLiant 1600, tape drive failed.
    >> I have new Dell DLT VS80 drive w/ 39160 card.
    >> I would prefer NOT to install and fight the 39160 through this old server.
    >>
    >> The compaq server has the proper scsi connection, with the following drivers
    >> load cpqs710.dsk
    >> load spqsaspi.nlm.
    >>
    >> My question:
    >> I want to use this existing old scsi card, but I also want to be able

    >> READ this tape on ANOTHER machine, possibly one with BE 8.x/9.x for Win2000.
    >> ( I will disable compression).
    >>
    >> ASPI is ASPI? Any scsi card that sees the drive is fine?
    >>
    >> BE for NW will supply the DLTxx.NLM driver. That should give me compatibility
    >> to read in another machine with same DLT drive?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Bill

  4. Re: New DLT drive on old Compaq server

    I surprise, that the 39160 works.
    my old compaq card use Symbios components not ataptec components.
    cpqscsi.ham work with Symbios components.
    Why you don't use a 68 pins cable ?

    Pascal

    Bill m wrote:
    > Amazingly the old Compaq accepted the 39160.
    > I had to try it, since the new cable conector turned out to be different
    > than the prior 50pin. (I thought they were the same). I loaded the HAM driver
    > for the 39160.... that goodness for a patched server. Then NWaspi. Cannot
    > believe it worked....
    >
    > Thanks for help
    > Bill
    >

    > Pascal BERTON wrote:
    >
    >>Bill
    >>with a old compaq ultra-wide card, you can use cpqscsi.ham (v1.43).
    >>I have a DLT4000 and a DLT8000 connected on this card
    >>I use it before with NW4.11 and BE8.5 and now with NW6 and BE9
    >>without problem.
    >>With be 8.5 you must load nwaspi.cdm, with be9 don't load it because
    >>veritas aspi layer is faster
    >>You must only remove or rename nwtape.cdm to avoid it is loaded
    >>if nwtape.cdm is loaded bexx doesn't load
    >>
    >>Pascal
    >>
    >>Bill M wrote:
    >>
    >>>BE for NW 8.5.
    >>>4.5 year old Compaq ProLiant 1600, tape drive failed.
    >>>I have new Dell DLT VS80 drive w/ 39160 card.
    >>>I would prefer NOT to install and fight the 39160 through this old server.
    >>>
    >>>The compaq server has the proper scsi connection, with the following drivers
    >>>load cpqs710.dsk
    >>>load spqsaspi.nlm.
    >>>
    >>>My question:
    >>>I want to use this existing old scsi card, but I also want to be able

    >>>READ this tape on ANOTHER machine, possibly one with BE 8.x/9.x for Win2000.
    >>>( I will disable compression).
    >>>
    >>>ASPI is ASPI? Any scsi card that sees the drive is fine?
    >>>
    >>>BE for NW will supply the DLTxx.NLM driver. That should give me compatibility
    >>>to read in another machine with same DLT drive?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>Bill

  5. Re: New DLT drive on old Compaq server

    I purchased the 39160 with the DLT drive. Old Compaq server supports PCI 2.1
    spec at 33mhz, so I installed the card. On boot the server could see it,
    I was stunned.

    I could have ordered a different type of cable, but since I had the SCSI
    card, with new cable, I figured why not try it.

    And the 39160 Ham driver loaded clean. Novell keeps on a kicking. NW 4.11
    was good release, but nothing will ever match 3.12 in its day.

    -Bill

+ Reply to Thread