Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1 to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running bestart.ncf --- NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface. Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000 Further ...

  1. Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    Hi,

    after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    bestart.ncf
    ---
    NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    Further programm execution not possible
    ---
    i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    application used port 10000.

    Any Ideas?

    Bernd Buetergerds

  2. Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    This was an issue for us, as well. The fix was to shut down the server (or
    down server).
    It seems to like a fresh start.
    Frank

    "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > bestart.ncf
    > ---
    > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > Further programm execution not possible
    > ---
    > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > application used port 10000.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Bernd Buetergerds

  3. Antw: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    Hi Frank
    Thanks for this information. After restart the agent loaded successfully.
    Which nlm is responsible for it? I don't want restart all my Servers!

    Bernd

    > Hi,
    >
    > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > bestart.ncf
    > ---
    > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > Further programm execution not possible
    > ---
    > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > application used port 10000.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Bernd Buetergerds

  4. Re: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    Hi Bernd,

    I have yet to determine which NLM is causing the problem. And I've tried.

    We've found some hidden switches in the BKUPEXEC.RES that would help, IF
    Veritas
    had made the necessary changes to BE91 to allow the selection of alternate
    ports.

    The -!Nx parameter where x=port....allows us to change the port to one of
    our own choosing,
    but the Media Server can ONLY listen on port 10000. How messed up is that?
    It's a cruel joke on a customer base.

    Apparently, on a Windows server the Media Server port can be changed.

    They'll have to do better. I hope Novell tears a strip off them for this one
    because one
    of the nicer features of NetWare is that you don't HAVE to restart a server
    for every
    minor change performed. Unlike the Windows platform (although they have made
    some
    improvements here)

    If they could isolate the offending state, nlm or driver, we could free the
    port up. But our
    servers do not indicate that port 10000 is in use by any other
    applications...at any time
    other than when BE91 is loaded.

    Until then, we're looking at a production stoppage because Veritas can't get
    their act
    together.

    > Hi,
    >
    > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > bestart.ncf
    > ---
    > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > Further programm execution not possible
    > ---
    > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > application used port 10000.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Bernd Buetergerds

  5. Re: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    It occurs to me that the failure to load NDMPD (Network data management
    protocol daemon) is restricted to a reload of this module.
    Therefore, the previous instance of NDMPD, when unloaded, does not release
    the port (resource).
    Thus, I conclude, That the NDMPD.NLM provided with Backup Exec for NetWare
    9.1 Remote Agents are faulty. (BENW 9.0 RA) seem to work without fail.
    Veritas....Are you listening?
    Frank

    "Frank Fontana" wrote in message
    > Hi Bernd,
    >
    > I have yet to determine which NLM is causing the problem. And I've tried.
    >
    > We've found some hidden switches in the BKUPEXEC.RES that would help, IF
    > Veritas
    > had made the necessary changes to BE91 to allow the selection of alternate
    > ports.
    >
    > The -!Nx parameter where x=port....allows us to change the port to one of
    > our own choosing,
    > but the Media Server can ONLY listen on port 10000. How messed up is that?
    > It's a cruel joke on a customer base.
    >
    > Apparently, on a Windows server the Media Server port can be changed.
    >
    > They'll have to do better. I hope Novell tears a strip off them for this

    one
    > because one
    > of the nicer features of NetWare is that you don't HAVE to restart a

    server
    > for every
    > minor change performed. Unlike the Windows platform (although they have

    made
    > some
    > improvements here)
    >
    > If they could isolate the offending state, nlm or driver, we could free

    the
    > port up. But our
    > servers do not indicate that port 10000 is in use by any other
    > applications...at any time
    > other than when BE91 is loaded.
    >
    > Until then, we're looking at a production stoppage because Veritas can't

    get
    > their act
    > together.
    >
    > Frank
    > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > Hi Frank
    > Thanks for this information. After restart the agent loaded successfully.
    > Which nlm is responsible for it? I don't want restart all my Servers!
    >
    > Bernd

    > This was an issue for us, as well. The fix was to shut down the server (or
    > down server).
    > It seems to like a fresh start.
    > Frank
    >
    > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > > bestart.ncf
    > > ---
    > > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > > Further programm execution not possible
    > > ---
    > > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > > application used port 10000.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas?
    > >
    > > Bernd Buetergerds

  6. Re: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    Still more testing reveals the problem to be NDMPD reload of a different
    version.
    Because we performed an upgrade from 9.0, we:
    -did a BESTOP.NCF
    -Installed the 9.1 agent
    -BESTART.NCF (get a 1006 error on port 10000)
    I then, replaced this 9.1 build with the folder structure from 9.0 (always
    do a backup)

    I had one box that I did restart, so it's running 9.1. I can load/reload the
    module...no problem.

    Now I've been able to prove that we can downgrade from 9.1 to 9.0 without
    restarting the server. But going up. Upgrading, definitely requires the
    server to
    be restarted. How convoluted can you get?

    Again! Veritas, look into this. You have way more resources available to
    you for this purpose. I've wasted a day proving something's broke.

    Every service request is accompannied by a request by tech support to "try"
    this...
    I have, Now FIX IT so we can get some work done.

    > It occurs to me that the failure to load NDMPD (Network data management
    > protocol daemon) is restricted to a reload of this module.
    > Therefore, the previous instance of NDMPD, when unloaded, does not release
    > the port (resource).
    > Thus, I conclude, That the NDMPD.NLM provided with Backup Exec for NetWare
    > 9.1 Remote Agents are faulty. (BENW 9.0 RA) seem to work without fail.
    > Veritas....Are you listening?
    > Frank
    >
    > "Frank Fontana" wrote in message
    > > Hi Bernd,
    > >
    > > I have yet to determine which NLM is causing the problem. And I've

    tried.

    > > We've found some hidden switches in the BKUPEXEC.RES that would help, IF
    > > Veritas
    > > had made the necessary changes to BE91 to allow the selection of

    alternate
    > > ports.
    > >
    > > The -!Nx parameter where x=port....allows us to change the port to one

    of
    > > our own choosing,
    > > but the Media Server can ONLY listen on port 10000. How messed up is

    that?
    > > It's a cruel joke on a customer base.
    > >
    > > Apparently, on a Windows server the Media Server port can be changed.
    > >
    > > They'll have to do better. I hope Novell tears a strip off them for this

    > one
    > > because one
    > > of the nicer features of NetWare is that you don't HAVE to restart a

    > server
    > > for every
    > > minor change performed. Unlike the Windows platform (although they have

    > made
    > > some
    > > improvements here)
    > >
    > > If they could isolate the offending state, nlm or driver, we could free

    > the
    > > port up. But our
    > > servers do not indicate that port 10000 is in use by any other
    > > applications...at any time
    > > other than when BE91 is loaded.
    > >
    > > Until then, we're looking at a production stoppage because Veritas can't

    > get
    > > their act
    > > together.
    > >
    > > Frank
    > > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > > Hi Frank
    > > Thanks for this information. After restart the agent loaded

    successfully.
    > > Which nlm is responsible for it? I don't want restart all my Servers!
    > >
    > > Bernd

    > > This was an issue for us, as well. The fix was to shut down the server

    (or
    > > down server).
    > > It seems to like a fresh start.
    > > Frank
    > >
    > > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in

    message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > > > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > > > bestart.ncf
    > > > ---
    > > > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > > > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > > > Further programm execution not possible
    > > > ---
    > > > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > > > application used port 10000.
    > > >
    > > > Any Ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Bernd Buetergerds

  7. Antw: Re: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    Dear Frank

    thanks for all the information you are posted.
    in the meantime i test it also.

    Veritas Support suggests the following solution to use another Port

    Edit the "besrvr.cfg" file on remote server. Change the default ndmp port 10000 (2710 HEX)to some other free port .
    ndmp_port = 2710 (provide the value in HEX format)
    2AF8 (port 11000)

    Reconfigure the SMDR
    Run LOAD SMDR NEW command and configure with
    following options:
    1) Disable NDS = Yes,
    2) Disable SLP = No,
    3) Disable SAP = No.

    > It occurs to me that the failure to load NDMPD (Network data management
    > protocol daemon) is restricted to a reload of this module.
    > Therefore, the previous instance of NDMPD, when unloaded, does not release
    > the port (resource).
    > Thus, I conclude, That the NDMPD.NLM provided with Backup Exec for NetWare
    > 9.1 Remote Agents are faulty. (BENW 9.0 RA) seem to work without fail.
    > Veritas....Are you listening?
    > Frank
    >
    > "Frank Fontana" wrote in message
    > > Hi Bernd,
    > >
    > > I have yet to determine which NLM is causing the problem. And I've

    tried.

    > > We've found some hidden switches in the BKUPEXEC.RES that would help, IF
    > > Veritas
    > > had made the necessary changes to BE91 to allow the selection of

    alternate
    > > ports.
    > >
    > > The -!Nx parameter where x=port....allows us to change the port to one

    of
    > > our own choosing,
    > > but the Media Server can ONLY listen on port 10000. How messed up is

    that?
    > > It's a cruel joke on a customer base.
    > >
    > > Apparently, on a Windows server the Media Server port can be changed.
    > >
    > > They'll have to do better. I hope Novell tears a strip off them for this

    > one
    > > because one
    > > of the nicer features of NetWare is that you don't HAVE to restart a

    > server
    > > for every
    > > minor change performed. Unlike the Windows platform (although they have

    > made
    > > some
    > > improvements here)
    > >
    > > If they could isolate the offending state, nlm or driver, we could free

    > the
    > > port up. But our
    > > servers do not indicate that port 10000 is in use by any other
    > > applications...at any time
    > > other than when BE91 is loaded.
    > >
    > > Until then, we're looking at a production stoppage because Veritas can't

    > get
    > > their act
    > > together.
    > >
    > > Frank
    > > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > > Hi Frank
    > > Thanks for this information. After restart the agent loaded

    successfully.
    > > Which nlm is responsible for it? I don't want restart all my Servers!
    > >
    > > Bernd

    > > This was an issue for us, as well. The fix was to shut down the server

    (or
    > > down server).
    > > It seems to like a fresh start.
    > > Frank
    > >
    > > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in

    message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > after the installation of the Remoteagent from Veritas BackupExec 9.1
    > > > to Netware 6 SP2 or Netware 6 SP3 following message occurs by running
    > > > bestart.ncf
    > > > ---
    > > > NDMPD.NLM: Unable to initialize communication interface.
    > > > Another application is currently using NDMP Port:10000
    > > > Further programm execution not possible
    > > > ---
    > > > i run the tcpcon utiliy and look in protocols tcp but no other
    > > > application used port 10000.
    > > >
    > > > Any Ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Bernd Buetergerds

  8. Re: Re: Re: Veritas BackupExec 9.1 RemoteAgent on Netware 6

    No problem!
    At least you have a workaround.
    Personnally, I think it may involve some sloppy programming when
    the older version doesn't release the resources. Especially, when the
    vendor's product is trying to supercede it.
    Thanks for passing on your findings.

> [...]

    free
    > > the
    > > > port up. But our
    > > > servers do not indicate that port 10000 is in use by any other
    > > > applications...at any time
    > > > other than when BE91 is loaded.
    > > >
    > > > Until then, we're looking at a production stoppage because Veritas

    can't
    > > get
    > > > their act
    > > > together.
    > > >
    > > > Frank
    > > > "Bernd Buetergerds" wrote in message
    > > > Hi Frank
    > > > Thanks for this information. After restart the agent loaded

    > successfully.
    > > > Which nlm is responsible for it? I don't want restart all my Servers!
    > > >
    > > > Bernd

    > > > This was an issue for us, as well. The fix was to shut down the server

+ Reply to Thread