what performence with Win2k and remote agent ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on what performence with Win2k and remote agent ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi I remark that my Olds NT4 servers are faster than new servers for the backups. I have make a lot of tests with a new server (a proliant DL 380G3 with 2xXeon 2.4Ghz a PCI-X ultra 320 raid controler ...

  1. what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    Hi

    I remark that my Olds NT4 servers are faster than new servers for the
    backups.

    I have make a lot of tests with a new server (a proliant DL 380G3 with
    2xXeon 2.4Ghz a PCI-X ultra 320 raid controler and 1GB of ram and gigabit
    network card.

    When I backup a 1GB file Throughput: is 117,0 Megabytes/minute (it's a big
    file, best conditions)
    If I backup the c:\ disk Throughput: is 97,6 Megabytes/minute.

    When I backup this 1GB file from a netware remote server Throughput: is
    1300,0 Megabytes/minute (it's a big file, best conditions) but only 450
    Megabytes/minute with small files or 625 Megabytes/minute with small files
    in local)

    When I backup this file from a NT4 server installed on a old workstion ( a
    PII with 256Mo and a 15 GB IDE disk)
    Throughput: is 160,0 Megabytes/minute.

    On the new server I have :
    - control If there are bad frames, network is very clean
    - removed IPX, (same performances)
    - put network card and switch in 100Mb half duplex, (worst performances)
    - apply Win2k SP3, SP4.(same performances)
    - upgrade drivers, agents, firmware.(same performances)
    - correct errors in event log
    - Make a copy from this server to a netware server to evaluate the server
    performance (2000 Megabytes/minute )
    - Try to do frames captures to see if there dns problems or bad frames or
    .... I'm surprise because I don't see the data of the file in the frames ( is
    it encrypted ?)

    if data are encrypted, is it possible to not encrypt to increase speed ?

    I'm surprise because beremote.exe use 0% cpu during backups ????

    I'm surprise because if I make a frame capture during backup the backup
    speed increase ???

    I have 2 Win2k advanced servers and they have same problem.

    I have this speed problem with SDLT320 and DLT8000.

    Have you the same performance problem with W2k ??
    At what speed you make W2k backups and with what parameters ?.
    I have contacted veritas support by mails but they don't have solution.

    best regards

    Pascal

  2. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    In article <3f1719a9@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Pascal BERTON wrote:

    > if data are encrypted, is it possible to not encrypt to increase speed ?

    DO you mean compressed? The only thing that will make it slower is trying
    to compress already compressed data.

    As noted in the other thread on this topic, the agent for Windows from BE9
    is way slower than the 8.5 version. But it's your only option for 2000 if
    you want to backup the registry, system state, open files...

    --

    -Barry.

  3. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    In fact I want the agent transmit data without compression because the
    network is gigabit ethernet, and without encryption because it's on a lan
    (security is not needed).
    I don't enderstand very well the problem, I look the network frames during
    backup,the backup server send 1 small frame and the remote 2 or 4 or 5
    frames (1500 bits), after server send another frame ....

    Netware use 32k tcp_window, it's better if remote send 20 frames before the
    ACK of the server (on a good switched network).
    I'm surprise that the communication between servers doesn't use the 10000
    port (NDMP)

    another strange thing, when I do captures with netmon.exe, the backup speed
    increase

    I wish veritas work on own problem, if it's possible to backup Win2k server
    at 500MB/mn, Be9 is a very good product

    Pascal

    "Barry St.John" a écrit dans le message de
    > In article <3f1719a9@ROSASTDMZ05.>, Pascal BERTON wrote:
    >
    > > if data are encrypted, is it possible to not encrypt to increase speed ?

    > DO you mean compressed? The only thing that will make it slower is trying
    > to compress already compressed data.
    >
    > As noted in the other thread on this topic, the agent for Windows from BE9
    > is way slower than the 8.5 version. But it's your only option for 2000 if
    > you want to backup the registry, system state, open files...
    >
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  4. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    OK, I wasn't sure if that was just a slip and you said 'encryption'
    meaning 'compression'. I can see how compression can affect backup
    times, but encryption should not, or at least only very marginally.

    I agree this is definitely a Veritas problem and I, too, wish they
    would fix it. We can hope the next release (which they say is "very
    soon now") will help.
    --

    -Barry.

  5. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    See my post under the "Windows Servers with BE9 Remote Agents", for a fix to
    this issue.

    "Barry St.John" wrote in message
    > OK, I wasn't sure if that was just a slip and you said 'encryption'
    > meaning 'compression'. I can see how compression can affect backup
    > times, but encryption should not, or at least only very marginally.
    >
    > I agree this is definitely a Veritas problem and I, too, wish they
    > would fix it. We can hope the next release (which they say is "very
    > soon now") will help.
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  6. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    Use the remote agent from the Windows version? What about the
    licensing?
    --

    -Barry.

  7. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    Yes, this is the remote agent from the Windows version.
    You still need the serial number input on the media server. You can use the
    serial number that you currently own. Actually, if you already have the
    remote agent installed on the Windows Server, the agent that comes with the
    Windows version install would just be an upgrade, and doesn't require any
    input. About licensing, I got these instructions from Veritas Tech Support.
    He told me that whether you were a user of BE9 for Windows or a user of BE9
    for Netware, the Remote Agent you would buy is the same SKU.

    > Use the remote agent from the Windows version? What about the
    > licensing?
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  8. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    Barry

    Bad news
    the new update build 4202 isn't faster than 4175 when it backup a win2000
    server.
    All files of the Win2k remote agent are olds (year 2002).
    I don't see any difference, all of 4175 bugs stay in this update

    Pascal

    "Barry St.John" a écrit dans le message de
    > OK, I wasn't sure if that was just a slip and you said 'encryption'
    > meaning 'compression'. I can see how compression can affect backup
    > times, but encryption should not, or at least only very marginally.
    >
    > I agree this is definitely a Veritas problem and I, too, wish they
    > would fix it. We can hope the next release (which they say is "very
    > soon now") will help.
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  9. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    Barry

    Bad news
    the new update build 4202 isn't faster than 4175 when it backup a win2000
    server.
    All files of the Win2k remote agent are olds (year 2002).
    I don't see any difference, all of 4175 bugs stay in this update

    Pascal

    "Barry St.John" a écrit dans le message de
    > OK, I wasn't sure if that was just a slip and you said 'encryption'
    > meaning 'compression'. I can see how compression can affect backup
    > times, but encryption should not, or at least only very marginally.
    >
    > I agree this is definitely a Veritas problem and I, too, wish they
    > would fix it. We can hope the next release (which they say is "very
    > soon now") will help.
    > --
    >
    > -Barry.

  10. Re: what performence with Win2k and remote agent ?

    That's not good. But this is just a new build of the same version.
    v9.1 is due before too long, from what I understand.
    --

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread