Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have been upgrading my servers to Service Pack 6. I am starting to get Multiple "Queue Failures" on various sessions. The job will process OK then the Queue fails and will not process until restarted. Have three backup servers ...

  1. Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    I have been upgrading my servers to Service Pack 6. I am starting to get
    Multiple "Queue Failures" on various sessions. The job will process OK then
    the Queue fails and will not process until restarted. Have three backup
    servers all runing BE 8.5 latest version with newest drivers. All BE 8.5
    are Enterprise versions. All Netware Servers running at least SP5. SP5
    on BE servers never had a queue failure......

    Any help? Thanks alot.....Chuck

  2. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Chuck
    > I have been upgrading my servers to Service Pack 6. I am starting to get
    > Multiple "Queue Failures" on various sessions. The job will process OK then
    > the Queue fails and will not process until restarted. Have three backup
    > servers all runing BE 8.5 latest version with newest drivers. All BE 8.5
    > are Enterprise versions. All Netware Servers running at least SP5. SP5
    > on BE servers never had a queue failure......

    You're definitely running build 194.1 (Check SYS:BKUPEXEC\VERSION.DOC)?
    That included increased timeouts for the queue failure errors, although
    I'm definite that 9.0 resolves them though.

    BTW, have you stopped BE and then deleted the BE NDS objects?

    Michael
    needed a new one anyway"

  3. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Why would you want to delete the BE NDS objects?

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.195a508d3d9807319896de@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Chuck
    > > I have been upgrading my servers to Service Pack 6. I am starting to

    get
    > > Multiple "Queue Failures" on various sessions. The job will process OK

    then
    > > the Queue fails and will not process until restarted. Have three

    backup
    > > servers all runing BE 8.5 latest version with newest drivers. All BE 8.5
    > > are Enterprise versions. All Netware Servers running at least SP5.

    SP5
    > > on BE servers never had a queue failure......

    > You're definitely running build 194.1 (Check SYS:BKUPEXEC\VERSION.DOC)?
    > That included increased timeouts for the queue failure errors, although
    > I'm definite that 9.0 resolves them though.
    >
    > BTW, have you stopped BE and then deleted the BE NDS objects?
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  4. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Fester
    > Why would you want to delete the BE NDS objects?

    Because in versions previous to BE9, they held the job queue so you
    delete them to try and resolve any queue failure caused by them. This
    can also be performed by stopping BE and typing LOAD BKUPEXEC -!Q at the
    console prompt - the objects should be recreated when you restart BE.

    Also, there's a queue backup utility included with BE, so you can keep a
    backup of the jobs in the queue (see
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189576.htm) - although if there's
    corruption in the job queue already, this might not help!

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  5. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    I am also getting the same QUEUE failures. I have backreved one BE server
    and it is running with no Queue failures. I can put SP6 on and I get the
    failure. Also I do not update the drivers when I put the new SP on.

    I wonder if Veritas is serious in support of Netware? There have been no
    major updates for several months. Do they even test Netware any more? It
    looks like the service pack 6 includes a SMS.nlm with more features.

    Until Novell or Veritas can find a solution it looks like running 5. sp5
    on a backup server or 5.1 SP6 and restart the queue every day.......

    I will await for the answer from one of them.....Chuck

    Michael wrote:
    >Fester
    >> Why would you want to delete the BE NDS objects?

    >Because in versions previous to BE9, they held the job queue so you
    >delete them to try and resolve any queue failure caused by them. This
    >can also be performed by stopping BE and typing LOAD BKUPEXEC -!Q at the

    >console prompt - the objects should be recreated when you restart BE.
    >
    >Also, there's a queue backup utility included with BE, so you can keep a

    >backup of the jobs in the queue (see
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189576.htm) - although if there's
    >corruption in the job queue already, this might not help!
    >
    >Michael
    >--
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    >you probably needed a new one anyway"
    >
    >* Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  6. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    This looks to be an issue with SP6, and NW6SP3, as well. Don't know if
    the problem is the same or just coincidental. Still trying to figure
    that out.
    --

    -Barry.

  7. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    If you are going to install BE9 be warned, we are using BE9 with the shared
    storage option, when you apply SP6 to Netware 5.1, it stops working....
    we were forced for remove the Support pack to return to SP5 to backup are
    systems...

    Jay

  8. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Yes, it is the same with NW6/SP3. Breaks SSO. No joy...
    --

    -Barry.

  9. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Does anyone have any idea when this maybe resolved???

    Barry St.John wrote:
    >Yes, it is the same with NW6/SP3. Breaks SSO. No joy...
    >--
    >
    >-Barry.

  10. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi!
    Is there a solution for this problem?
    We have installed NW 5.1 (sp6) Edir 8.7.1 on your be8.5 (latest patch...).
    After installing sp6 we got the queue failed error inside be 8.5! ( I have
    tried anything to get off this error .....)
    So there seems to be only one solution: to downgrage to sp5!
    How do I do this ? Just install it like every sp? Has anyone run edir 8.7.1
    on my 5.1 server with sp5????

    thanks ahead
    chris
    "Jay" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Does anyone have any idea when this maybe resolved???
    >
    > Barry St.John wrote:
    > >Yes, it is the same with NW6/SP3. Breaks SSO. No joy...
    > >--
    > >
    > >-Barry.

  11. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    chris
    > After installing sp6 we got the queue failed error inside be 8.5! ( I have
    > tried anything to get off this error .....)

    What's the "anything" you've tried so far?
    Since this only occured after updating the NDS, could well be that the
    BE objects (that hold the queue) are corrupted. Have you deleted the BE
    NDS objects? Exit both BE modules, do a BESTOP, then IIRC, the command
    is:
    LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q

    That should remove them both, and they'll be recreated next time you
    start BE

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  12. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi/2

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:56:26 +0100, Michael
    wrote:

    >chris
    >> After installing sp6 we got the queue failed error inside be 8.5! ( I have
    >> tried anything to get off this error .....)

    And it can be seen on NW6, too! I know this is not supported, but me
    and some others have a working setup. (Check NVL-forums for how to do
    it). So there is some similarity/connection between NW5.1 SP6 and the
    NW6 ...

    >What's the "anything" you've tried so far?

    The errors went away after I enabled the debugging. The LOGs are
    slowly growing - I'd to delete them once in a Q.

    >Since this only occured after updating the NDS, could well be that the
    >BE objects (that hold the queue) are corrupted. Have you deleted the BE
    >NDS objects? Exit both BE modules, do a BESTOP, then IIRC, the command
    >is:
    >LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q
    >
    >That should remove them both, and they'll be recreated next time you
    >start BE

    That I haven't checked/done. Maybe on next restart when I've deleted
    the debug logs.

  13. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi to Michael and Harald!

    Ok, I will try to
    "LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q" and recreate my queues! (The other forums told me
    that this do not correct the error ...)
    How do you start be in debugg mode ???

    thanks ahead
    chris

    "Harald Bilke" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi/2
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:56:26 +0100, Michael
    > wrote:
    >
    > >chris
    > >> After installing sp6 we got the queue failed error inside be 8.5! ( I

    have
    > >> tried anything to get off this error .....)

    > And it can be seen on NW6, too! I know this is not supported, but me
    > and some others have a working setup. (Check NVL-forums for how to do
    > it). So there is some similarity/connection between NW5.1 SP6 and the
    > NW6 ...
    >

    > >What's the "anything" you've tried so far?

    > The errors went away after I enabled the debugging. The LOGs are
    > slowly growing - I'd to delete them once in a Q.
    >
    > >Since this only occured after updating the NDS, could well be that the
    > >BE objects (that hold the queue) are corrupted. Have you deleted the BE
    > >NDS objects? Exit both BE modules, do a BESTOP, then IIRC, the command
    > >is:
    > >LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q
    > >
    > >That should remove them both, and they'll be recreated next time you
    > >start BE

    > That I haven't checked/done. Maybe on next restart when I've deleted
    > the debug logs.

  14. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    chris
    > Ok, I will try to
    > "LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q" and recreate my queues! (The other forums told me
    > that this do not correct the error ...)

    Well, it's worth a try, since you don't know for definite that it
    doesn't resolve your problem, and the job queues are all held in the BE
    objects in 8.5 (this changed in 9.0, when the job queues became database
    files - so an upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1 would absolutely resolve your
    error).

    > How do you start be in debugg mode ???

    Michael

    needed a new one anyway"

  15. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi!
    Ok I have tried to recreate my queues but I keep on getting the
    queue-failures.
    But when using the debug-mode realy seems to work ..... two days without the
    queue-holds.......

    thanks to all of you
    chris

    "Michael" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:MPG.19d911a09e7f747e9896fa@news.support.verit as.com...
    > chris
    > > Ok, I will try to
    > > "LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q" and recreate my queues! (The other forums told

    me
    > > that this do not correct the error ...)

    > Well, it's worth a try, since you don't know for definite that it
    > doesn't resolve your problem, and the job queues are all held in the BE
    > objects in 8.5 (this changed in 9.0, when the job queues became database
    > files - so an upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1 would absolutely resolve your
    > error).
    >
    > > How do you start be in debugg mode ???

    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248382.htm
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  16. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi,

    Is there a real solution to this problem??? Since upgrading to NW51sp6
    last week, i'm also getting Queue failed errors.

    I'm trying with debug mode tonight, but i don't think it's a real
    solution. Dis somebody get response from Veritas or Novell about this?

    Tnaks,
    Rik

    chris wrote:

    > Hi!
    > Ok I have tried to recreate my queues but I keep on getting the
    > queue-failures.
    > But when using the debug-mode realy seems to work ..... two days without the
    > queue-holds.......
    >
    > thanks to all of you
    > chris
    >
    > "Michael" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:MPG.19d911a09e7f747e9896fa@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > chris
    > > > Ok, I will try to
    > > > "LOAD BKUPEXEC.NLM -!q" and recreate my queues! (The other forums told

    > me
    > > > that this do not correct the error ...)

    > > Well, it's worth a try, since you don't know for definite that it
    > > doesn't resolve your problem, and the job queues are all held in the BE
    > > objects in 8.5 (this changed in 9.0, when the job queues became database
    > > files - so an upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1 would absolutely resolve your
    > > error).
    > >
    > > > How do you start be in debugg mode ???

    > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248382.htm
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > --
    > > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > > needed a new one anyway"
    > >
    > > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  17. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Hi rik ...
    I do not think there is an general solution for this....
    This this trick with the debug-mode really works for me. I am using this for
    about two month without this nasty error ...
    so I hope this will do for you ...

    cu
    chris

    "Rik Binkhorst" schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:3FA65175.542C52B3@no-spam-please.coh.fgg.eur.nl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a real solution to this problem??? Since upgrading to NW51sp6
    > last week, i'm also getting Queue failed errors.
    >
    > I'm trying with debug mode tonight, but i don't think it's a real
    > solution. Dis somebody get response from Veritas or Novell about this?
    >
    > Tnaks,
    > Rik
    >
    > chris wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi!
    > > Ok I have tried to recreate my queues but I keep on getting the
    > > queue-failures.
    > > But when using the debug-mode realy seems to work ..... two days without

    the
    > > queue-holds.......
    > >
    > > thanks to all of you
    > > chris
    > >
    > > "Michael" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > news:MPG.19d911a09e7f747e9896fa@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > > chris

    told
    > > me
    > > >
    > > > Well, it's worth a try, since you don't know for definite that it
    > > > doesn't resolve your problem, and the job queues are all held in the

    BE
    > > > objects in 8.5 (this changed in 9.0, when the job queues became

    database
    > > > files - so an upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1 would absolutely resolve your
    > > > error).

    > > > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248382.htm
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, you probably
    > > > needed a new one anyway"
    > > >
    > > > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

  18. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    Chris & Rik
    > I do not think there is an general solution for this....
    > This this trick with the debug-mode really works for me. I am using this for
    > about two month without this nasty error ...
    > so I hope this will do for you ...

    Just an idea, I came across this TID on Novell's website:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/2966373.htm
    Part of the TID refers to using it as part of the SP install, but it can
    be used afterwards too (just run the PURGE_NW.NLM).

    Now, since the Job Queue is held in the BE NDS objects, and this Queue
    failure has only started occurring since you both upgraded to NW5.1 SP6,
    I wonder if your _NETWARE directories have been flagged incorrectly and
    if this has some impact?

    Please post back if it works

    Michael
    --
    "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    you probably needed a new one anyway"

  19. Re: Queue Failure on NW5.1 SP6, BE 8.5

    I did purge_nw as part of the upgrade of our servers. So that is no
    solution.

    I also mailed the problem to the verista helpdesk. They responded with
    exit bkupexec, bestop, LOAD BKUPEXEC -!Q, recreate all jobs.
    It looked as if that works, but then i still was in debug mode.
    Yesterday i started without debugmode and after 2 jobs i got QUEUE FAIL.
    So the only working solution seems to be: debugmode.

    I have another problem after te upgrade:

    The job that does a backup of the NDS does not work anymore.

    The job has a "connection to device has been
    lost" message.
    It backs up the schema, but fails on the directory part.

    any suggestions?

    Rik

    Michael wrote:

    > Chris & Rik
    > > I do not think there is an general solution for this....
    > > This this trick with the debug-mode really works for me. I am using this for
    > > about two month without this nasty error ...
    > > so I hope this will do for you ...

    > Just an idea, I came across this TID on Novell's website:
    > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/2966373.htm
    > Part of the TID refers to using it as part of the SP install, but it can
    > be used afterwards too (just run the PURGE_NW.NLM).
    >
    > Now, since the Job Queue is held in the BE NDS objects, and this Queue
    > failure has only started occurring since you both upgraded to NW5.1 SP6,
    > I wonder if your _NETWARE directories have been flagged incorrectly and
    > if this has some impact?
    >
    > Please post back if it works
    >
    > Michael
    > --
    > "If it jams, force it. If it breaks,
    > you probably needed a new one anyway"
    >
    > * Please post replies via the newsgroup *

+ Reply to Thread