BE9, multiple servers + remotes, agents or full versions ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE9, multiple servers + remotes, agents or full versions ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm currently running BE 8.5 and plan to upgrade to BE 9 in the next few months along with some new tape drives (probably HP Ultrium's). Below is how things pretty much work at the moment. Site A: 2x NW5.1 ...

  1. BE9, multiple servers + remotes, agents or full versions ?

    I'm currently running BE 8.5 and plan to upgrade to BE 9 in the next few
    months along with some new tape drives (probably HP Ultrium's). Below is how
    things pretty much work at the moment.

    Site A: 2x NW5.1 Servers + 1x NW6 Server + 3x Windows 2000 Servers - each
    with own tape drive + full version of BE 8.5 excluding NW6 server and W2K
    servers.

    Site B: 1x NW5.1 Server + 1x NW6 Server + 1x Windows 2000 Server - NW5.1
    server is only one with tape drive and BE 8.5.

    Site C: 1x NW5.1 Servers - has tape drive + full version of BE 8.5.

    All sites linked via 500k leased lines.

    .... as you can see some sites would benefit from running Agents allowing me
    to have one single large tape drive to back them up out of hours.

    My question is can an NW server with BE 9 only backup remote servers with
    the Agent software installed or can a remote server have the full software
    installed but pretend to be an Agent install ?.

    Having only the agent on a remote server would make my life easier but I
    would like the option of being able to put a drive on a remote server if
    things don't go to plan and it then acting as if it's not an Agent.

    Thanks.

    Clive.

  2. Re: BE9, multiple servers + remotes, agents or full versions ?

    Yes, you can backup a media server as if it is a remote agent. I do it
    here and it works fine. If when you get to that point you need help
    getting it working, post another message here and I'll help you through
    it.

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread