Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BE9.0 build 4172.2. I upgraded a Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.0 and in doing so changed from Arcserve6.6 to BE9.0. I had trouble with trustees transferring correctly so I was going to restore the trustee rights ...

  1. Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore

    I am running BE9.0 build 4172.2. I upgraded a Netware 5.0 server to Netware
    6.0 and in doing so changed from Arcserve6.6 to BE9.0. I had trouble with
    trustees transferring correctly so I was going to restore the trustee rights
    from my full backup I performed in Arcserve6.6 the night before the upgrade.
    The backup was successful NDS wise and file wise. I inventory the tape
    and then catalog the tape in BE9.0. At the end of the catalogging it says
    "Directories:0 Files:0 Time: 00:00:01" Doesn't sound like anything happened
    to me. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore

    Michael,
    The Netware volumes were compressed. I did not use SW compression when I
    did the Arcserve backups. I also did uncheck the Use on Media Catalogs option
    on the catalog utility screen.

    Michael wrote:
    >Brian
    >> I am running BE9.0 build 4172.2. I upgraded a Netware 5.0 server to Netware
    >> 6.0 and in doing so changed from Arcserve6.6 to BE9.0. I had trouble

    with
    >> trustees transferring correctly so I was going to restore the trustee

    rights
    >> from my full backup I performed in Arcserve6.6 the night before the upgrade.
    >> The backup was successful NDS wise and file wise. I inventory the tape
    >> and then catalog the tape in BE9.0. At the end of the catalogging it

    says
    >> "Directories:0 Files:0 Time: 00:00:01" Doesn't sound like anything

    happened
    >> to me. Any ideas?

    >Was it the data compressed on the NetWare volume, or did you use
    >hardware or software compression when you backed the data up?
    >
    >Don't bother with an inventory of the tape - delete all the cataolgs,
    >and do a full catalog, without the "use on media catalogs" selected.
    >
    >Michael

  3. Re: Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore

    Brian
    > I am running BE9.0 build 4172.2. I upgraded a Netware 5.0 server to Netware
    > 6.0 and in doing so changed from Arcserve6.6 to BE9.0. I had trouble with
    > trustees transferring correctly so I was going to restore the trustee rights
    > from my full backup I performed in Arcserve6.6 the night before the upgrade.
    > The backup was successful NDS wise and file wise. I inventory the tape
    > and then catalog the tape in BE9.0. At the end of the catalogging it says
    > "Directories:0 Files:0 Time: 00:00:01" Doesn't sound like anything happened
    > to me. Any ideas?

    Was it the data compressed on the NetWare volume, or did you use
    hardware or software compression when you backed the data up?

    Don't bother with an inventory of the tape - delete all the cataolgs,
    and do a full catalog, without the "use on media catalogs" selected.

    Michael

  4. Re: Arcserve tape won't catalog for restore

    Brian
    > The Netware volumes were compressed. I did not use SW compression when I
    > did the Arcserve backups. I also did uncheck the Use on Media Catalogs option
    > on the catalog utility screen.

    What does the catalog job log look like?
    Did the catalog job actually fail?
    Can you see any restore selections?

    Also, have a look at:

    Michael