2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Greetings, After upgradung from version 8.5 to 9.0 the autoloader's job reliability has gone south. I get two errors 1. Job completed: With ERROR - No more data to process. (24630) 2.Job completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency has ...

  1. 2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4

    Greetings,
    After upgradung from version 8.5 to 9.0 the autoloader's job reliability
    has gone south. I get two errors 1. Job completed: With ERROR - No more
    data to process. (24630) 2.Job completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency
    has been detected. (24616)

    Also the loader now always starts at slot 4 instead of slot 0. I have two
    thoughts on approaching this as getting consistent backups are a priority
    1. role back to 8.5 but how? or 2. attempt to understand why the version
    change has caused such problems and correct if possible.

    Any thoughts would be most apreciated.

    Wes Moreland

  2. Re: 2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4

    Wes
    > I get two errors 1. Job completed: With ERROR - No more data to process.
    > (24630) 2.Job completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency
    > has been detected. (24616)

    These two errors seem to be related to the tapes.
    What build of BE9.0 are you running? The latest is 4172.2 - if you're
    not running that, upgrade.
    Are you using tapes previously created with BE8.5? Are you appending to
    the tapes or overwriting them? What block size are you using?

    > Also the loader now always starts at slot 4 instead of slot 0.

    What loader & drive are you using?

    > 1. role back to 8.5 but how?

    Simply uninstall 9.0, and re-install 8.5

    > 2. attempt to understand why the version
    > change has caused such problems and correct if possible.

    That's what I'm trying to do :-)

    Michael

  3. Re: 2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4

    Hi all, just to let you know what I got from Veritas technical support:

    "Media format inconsistency" errors appear whenever the "Server Specific
    Info" is set up as the first backup set for a Netware server. This information
    is not necessarily relevant if you are going to install the Netware OS and
    Backup Exec then perform disaster recovery, as you will have recreated the
    information contained in this set. The tech had me remove the "Server Specific
    Info" and this seemed to clear the problem.

    Cheers,
    Tianae

    Michael wrote:
    >Wes
    >> I get two errors 1. Job completed: With ERROR - No more data to process.

    >> (24630) 2.Job completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency
    >> has been detected. (24616)

    >These two errors seem to be related to the tapes.
    >What build of BE9.0 are you running? The latest is 4172.2 - if you're
    >not running that, upgrade.
    >Are you using tapes previously created with BE8.5? Are you appending to

    >the tapes or overwriting them? What block size are you using?
    >
    >> Also the loader now always starts at slot 4 instead of slot 0.

    >What loader & drive are you using?
    >
    >> 1. role back to 8.5 but how?

    >Simply uninstall 9.0, and re-install 8.5
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/244721.htm
    >
    >> 2. attempt to understand why the version
    >> change has caused such problems and correct if possible.

    >That's what I'm trying to do :-)
    >
    >Michael

  4. Re: 2700 autoloader gives two errors and always starts slot 4

    Tianae
    > The tech had me remove the "Server Specific
    > Info" and this seemed to clear the problem.

    Not strictly true - this occurs when SSI (or indeed *any* of the backup
    sets) are first on the tape and have a zero byte size (i.e. nothing is
    in that set).
    Although this TN mentions catalog/inventory, it applies to backups too -
    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/251421.htm

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread