Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Running BE 8.5 with the Advanced Autoloader option on NetWare 5.0. My system has been configured with an Exabyte EXB-220 autoloader on it's own SCSI HBA. I've just added a 2nd SCSI HBA and a StorageTek L20 tape library. ...

  1. Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Hi,

    Running BE 8.5 with the Advanced Autoloader option on NetWare 5.0. My
    system has been configured with an Exabyte EXB-220 autoloader on it's own
    SCSI HBA.

    I've just added a 2nd SCSI HBA and a StorageTek L20 tape library. I've
    gotten BE8.5 to the point where it sees the L20- but it thinks it's just a
    single tape drive (it is) with no slots- I guess it is not seeing the system
    as a library?

    It sees my Exabyte fine as a library and I'm able to partition the 20 slots.
    However, I can't partition the Storagetek L20.

    Any thoughts? Do I need to reinstall BE? Is BE only capable of handling
    one Library/autoloader?

    Thanks,
    Marlo

  2. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    It appears that BE is not able to see this it as a library.
    Is it a lun device? Use lun_enable=ffff in the startup.ncf as a parameter
    to the driver.
    Are the SCSI Ids proper i.e. the arm has a SCSI id that is lower and
    contigous with the drive

    "Marlo Montanaro" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running BE 8.5 with the Advanced Autoloader option on NetWare 5.0. My
    > system has been configured with an Exabyte EXB-220 autoloader on it's own
    > SCSI HBA.
    >
    > I've just added a 2nd SCSI HBA and a StorageTek L20 tape library. I've
    > gotten BE8.5 to the point where it sees the L20- but it thinks it's just a
    > single tape drive (it is) with no slots- I guess it is not seeing the

    system
    > as a library?
    >
    > It sees my Exabyte fine as a library and I'm able to partition the 20

    slots.
    > However, I can't partition the Storagetek L20.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Do I need to reinstall BE? Is BE only capable of handling
    > one Library/autoloader?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Marlo

  3. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    You may allso enable multiple lun for drive ID from SCSI bios if not
    done allready.

    Atleast Adaptec and Buslogic controllers need that to be done before
    they understand nothing about loaders.

    -Jouko-

    newbie wrote:
    > It appears that BE is not able to see this it as a library.
    > Is it a lun device? Use lun_enable=ffff in the startup.ncf as a parameter
    > to the driver.
    > Are the SCSI Ids proper i.e. the arm has a SCSI id that is lower and
    > contigous with the drive
    >
    > "Marlo Montanaro" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Running BE 8.5 with the Advanced Autoloader option on NetWare 5.0. My
    >>system has been configured with an Exabyte EXB-220 autoloader on it's own
    >>SCSI HBA.
    >>
    >>I've just added a 2nd SCSI HBA and a StorageTek L20 tape library. I've
    >>gotten BE8.5 to the point where it sees the L20- but it thinks it's just a
    >>single tape drive (it is) with no slots- I guess it is not seeing the

    > system
    >
    >>as a library?
    >>
    >>It sees my Exabyte fine as a library and I'm able to partition the 20

    > slots.
    >
    >>However, I can't partition the Storagetek L20.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts? Do I need to reinstall BE? Is BE only capable of handling
    >>one Library/autoloader?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Marlo

  4. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Thanks for your replies.

    Still no joy. I really thought the enable_lun=ffff would do the trick. Now
    the system doesn't see the hardware at all!

    It boots fine- when the server comes up and the SCSI card (an Adaptec 29160)
    initializes, both the library and tape drive respond with their SCSI ID's.
    The library responds with Bus=8 and Rate=Async, and the tape drive with
    Bus=16 and Rate=80. I've left the SCSI ID of the library at 2 and moved the
    tape drive back and forth between 1 and 3.

    The server is a Dell PowerEdge 1300 (2 or 3 years old)- I'm wondering if
    it's 32-bit SCSI bus is only V1.x and this card is 2.x? There are pins on
    the SCSI card that do not match up with the available slot connector in the
    server. According to the Adaptec documentation for the card, this should
    not be a major problem, causing the card to fall back to 32-bit mode.

    Same results when I went to the card BIOS and enabled LUN support there as
    well.

    When I run the Backup Exec tool HCT.NLM, sometimes it sees the library (and
    reports 20 slots, and all correct parameters) and sometimes it reports that
    Host Adapter 2 (HA2) has a device that is "not responding." HCT never sees
    the tape drive.

    I've double checked all cables and terminators... all are OK.

    Any additional thoughts are much appreciated.

    Marlo

    "Jouko Oksanen" wrote in message
    > You may allso enable multiple lun for drive ID from SCSI bios if not
    > done allready.
    >
    > Atleast Adaptec and Buslogic controllers need that to be done before
    > they understand nothing about loaders.
    >
    > -Jouko-
    >
    > newbie wrote:
    > > It appears that BE is not able to see this it as a library.
    > > Is it a lun device? Use lun_enable=ffff in the startup.ncf as a

    parameter
    > > to the driver.
    > > Are the SCSI Ids proper i.e. the arm has a SCSI id that is lower and
    > > contigous with the drive
    > >
    > > "Marlo Montanaro" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>Running BE 8.5 with the Advanced Autoloader option on NetWare 5.0. My
    > >>system has been configured with an Exabyte EXB-220 autoloader on it's

    own
    > >>SCSI HBA.
    > >>
    > >>I've just added a 2nd SCSI HBA and a StorageTek L20 tape library. I've
    > >>gotten BE8.5 to the point where it sees the L20- but it thinks it's just

    > >>single tape drive (it is) with no slots- I guess it is not seeing the

    > > system
    > >
    > >>as a library?
    > >>
    > >>It sees my Exabyte fine as a library and I'm able to partition the 20

    > > slots.
    > >
    > >>However, I can't partition the Storagetek L20.
    > >>
    > >>Any thoughts? Do I need to reinstall BE? Is BE only capable of

    handling
    > >>one Library/autoloader?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>Marlo

  5. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Joy!

    Well, I live in bizarro world.

    I rebooted the entire system again (server, both tape libraries). This
    time, I took the "enable_lun=ffff" out of the startup.ncf file.... and....
    it all worked. Go figure.

    Effectively, what I did to this system was:

    1- turn on enable LUN support in the SCSI HBA BIOS
    2- moved the tape drive to SCSI ID 3 (library is at 2) from its original 1.
    3- loaded the driver with enable_lun=ffff
    4- turn off enable LUN support in the SCSI HBA BIOS
    5- loaded the driver withOUT enable_lun=ffff

    So, it would seem, that with the exception of the change of SCSI ID for the
    tape drive, that all the changes I made were then undone to fix the problem
    ....???... I thought the library/robot arm was supposed to be at a lower
    number than the tape drive...

    I've done a test backup and also retensioned all of my media- everything
    seems fine now. We'll test a full backup of all our servers tonight-
    initial speed seems great (500 MB per min backup, 1 GB per min verify when
    backing up the backup server).

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    MM

  6. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Incidentally is the option
    lun_enable
    or
    enable_lun
    Michael any thoughts?

    > Joy!
    >
    > Well, I live in bizarro world.
    >
    > I rebooted the entire system again (server, both tape libraries). This
    > time, I took the "enable_lun=ffff" out of the startup.ncf file.... and....
    > it all worked. Go figure.
    >
    > Effectively, what I did to this system was:
    >
    > 1- turn on enable LUN support in the SCSI HBA BIOS
    > 2- moved the tape drive to SCSI ID 3 (library is at 2) from its original

    1.
    > 3- loaded the driver with enable_lun=ffff
    > 4- turn off enable LUN support in the SCSI HBA BIOS
    > 5- loaded the driver withOUT enable_lun=ffff
    >
    > So, it would seem, that with the exception of the change of SCSI ID for

    the
    > tape drive, that all the changes I made were then undone to fix the

    problem
    > ...???... I thought the library/robot arm was supposed to be at a lower
    > number than the tape drive...
    >
    > I've done a test backup and also retensioned all of my media- everything
    > seems fine now. We'll test a full backup of all our servers tonight-
    > initial speed seems great (500 MB per min backup, 1 GB per min verify when
    > backing up the backup server).
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions!
    >
    > MM

  7. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    newbie
    > Incidentally is the option
    > lun_enable
    > or
    > enable_lun
    > Michael any thoughts?

    The actual addition should be lun_enable=ff
    (i.e. not =ffff)
    See:

    for more details on configuring support for LUN devices.

    Michael

  8. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Thanks for the info Michael- while everything seems to be working right now,
    even without the lun_enable=ff, I still want to investigate why this seemed
    so wacky.

    No where in any of my documentation does it mention the "scan all luns"
    command, or that "scan for new devices" only looks on lun 0.

    Thanks again.
    Marlo

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1847597a6a7398e0989684@news.support.verit as.com...
    > newbie
    > > Incidentally is the option
    > > lun_enable
    > > or
    > > enable_lun
    > > Michael any thoughts?

    > The actual addition should be lun_enable=ff
    > (i.e. not =ffff)
    > See:
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189278.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235577.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189325.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/189124.htm
    >
    > for more details on configuring support for LUN devices.
    >
    > Michael

  9. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Marlo
    > Thanks for the info Michael- while everything seems to be working right now,
    > even without the lun_enable=ff, I still want to investigate why this seemed
    > so wacky.

    I have no idea why it'd suddenly work after not working! Sometimes
    software's strange like that.....*shrug*

    > No where in any of my documentation does it mention the "scan all luns"
    > command, or that "scan for new devices" only looks on lun 0.

    Is that in the 8.5 documentation? It's probably not there because not
    everything can be included in an admin guide, or because Lun devices
    were only available after the manual was printed or somesuch.......

    Michael

  10. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Marlo
    > 2- moved the tape drive to SCSI ID 3 (library is at 2) from its original 1.

    Looking back at your original post (sorry, I only joined halfway
    through), this is what is likely to have resolved the problem.

    > I thought the library/robot arm was supposed to be at a lower
    > number than the tape drive...

    Yes, you were correct, Libraries (Loader/robot arms) should - for the
    majority of devices - be on a lower ID than the drives, and the drives
    should be on IDs in ascending order - i.e.:
    Library SCSI ID 2
    Drive 1 SCSI ID 3
    Drive 2 SCSI ID 4
    etc....

    Michael

  11. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Yeah- I was looking back at that too... with all the stuff I was playing
    with at the time, plus the pressure to get it working ('cause I had no
    backup system until it was working), I guess I didn't realize what happened.

    The kind of odd thing, though, is that on my older hardware (Adaptec SCSI,
    Exabyte EXB-220 library with Mammoth drive), the tape drive is at SCSI ID 2
    and the library at 3. That's why I started out with the new system
    configured in a similar fashion.

    Thanks for your assistance, and to all those who replied as well.

    Happy holidays...

    Regards,
    Marlo

    "Michael" wrote in message
    news:MPG.184a4d049ec53b7198968f@news.support.verit as.com...
    > Marlo
    > > 2- moved the tape drive to SCSI ID 3 (library is at 2) from its original

    1.

    > Looking back at your original post (sorry, I only joined halfway
    > through), this is what is likely to have resolved the problem.
    >
    > > I thought the library/robot arm was supposed to be at a lower
    > > number than the tape drive...

    > Yes, you were correct, Libraries (Loader/robot arms) should - for the
    > majority of devices - be on a lower ID than the drives, and the drives
    > should be on IDs in ascending order - i.e.:
    > Library SCSI ID 2
    > Drive 1 SCSI ID 3
    > Drive 2 SCSI ID 4
    > etc....
    >
    > Michael

  12. Re: Added 2nd Autoloader to BE8.5

    Marlo
    > Yeah- I was looking back at that too... with all the stuff I was playing
    > with at the time, plus the pressure to get it working ('cause I had no
    > backup system until it was working), I guess I didn't realize what happened.

    That's the problem when you're under pressure - but hey, it's working
    now :-)

    > The kind of odd thing, though, is that on my older hardware (Adaptec SCSI,
    > Exabyte EXB-220 library with Mammoth drive), the tape drive is at SCSI ID 2
    > and the library at 3. That's why I started out with the new system
    > configured in a similar fashion.

    Yeah, *some* loaders require a drive being lower than the robot arm, but
    in the majority of cases it should go Robot > Drive1 > Drive2 > etc...

    > Thanks for your assistance, and to all those who replied as well.

    Np :-)

    > Happy holidays...

    Same to you!

    Michael