Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am moving from my current NW 5.1 servers, with compression on, running BE 8.5, to two new servers running NW 6.0, with NSS volumes, no compression. When trying to restore the user data I get errors for every attempt ...

  1. Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume

    I am moving from my current NW 5.1 servers, with compression on, running BE
    8.5, to two new servers running NW 6.0, with NSS volumes, no compression.
    When trying to restore the user data I get errors for every attempt to
    restore a compressed file to a non-compressed volume. Is there a workaround
    to this problem??

    daveM

  2. Re: Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume

    Dave

    > I am moving from my current NW 5.1 servers, with compression on,
    > running BE 8.5, to two new servers running NW 6.0, with NSS volumes,
    > no compression.
    > When trying to restore the user data I get errors for every attempt to
    > restore a compressed file to a non-compressed volume. Is there a
    > workaround to this problem??

    Ok - an uncompressed volume can't "understand" compressed files - the
    only way that you could do this would be to backup the compressed files
    to tape as uncompressed and then try the restore. See

    Michael

  3. Re: Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume

    But what if I can't backup the compressed files again and they only exist
    on the tape. Do I need to create a compressed volume and then do the restore?

  4. Re: Restore compressed files to Uncompressed Volume

    Yes

    "Murry" wrote in message

    > But what if I can't backup the compressed files again and they only exist
    > on the tape. Do I need to create a compressed volume and then do the

    restore?

+ Reply to Thread