Backup Speed - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Speed - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BE 9.0 for Netware and backing up both Novell and Windows 2000 servers. When my Windows 2000 server is backing up it is only getting speeds of 116 MB/min but when it does the verify it is ...

  1. Backup Speed

    I am running BE 9.0 for Netware and backing up both Novell and Windows 2000
    servers. When my Windows 2000 server is backing up it is only getting
    speeds of 116 MB/min but when it does the verify it is getting 376 MB/min.
    Why would the verify be so much faster?

  2. Re: Backup Speed

    Verify doesn't have to retrieve the data off storage, and back it up. It
    only does checksums on the files on your media, hence it is much faster.

    Mike

    "Melanie Schmahl" wrote in message
    > I am running BE 9.0 for Netware and backing up both Novell and Windows

    2000
    > servers. When my Windows 2000 server is backing up it is only getting
    > speeds of 116 MB/min but when it does the verify it is getting 376 MB/min.
    > Why would the verify be so much faster?

  3. Re: Backup Speed

    On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:20:22 -0600, "Melanie Schmahl"
    wrote:

    >I am running BE 9.0 for Netware and backing up both Novell and Windows 2000
    >servers. When my Windows 2000 server is backing up it is only getting
    >speeds of 116 MB/min but when it does the verify it is getting 376 MB/min.
    >Why would the verify be so much faster?

    I assume that you are backing up W2K via Remote Agent. Unfortunately
    it is slow. I have the same backup speed on Compaq Proliant ML370G2
    1.4 GHz, RAID-5 running Remote Agent on W2K Server (Media Server is
    BE9 running NW 5.1, Compaq DLT8000 streamer). Strange thing is: when I
    installed Remote Agent on W2K Professional Workstation SP2 (a No-brand
    machine) The same files are transferred at about 185 MB/min. After
    installing SP3 transfer dropped to about 140 MB/min. Backrevving to
    SP2 restored speed to 185 MB/min). The W2K server also has SP3
    installed, and I didn't try W2K Server with SP2 yet, or NT server.
    So far I don't know if I slow transfer is caused by Remote Agent only,
    or operating system as well.

    Verifying is faster, because Backup Exec does not compare backed up
    data with source, it only reads all data from tape, and checks if
    there are any read errors, so it runs at full speed.

    Marek

  4. Re: Backup Speed

    I had similar issues on NT. If you are using an Adaptec scsi card, try to
    use the driver that shipped with the OS. Not the lastest driver.

    I went from 150 MB/min to 500 !!!!

    > I am running BE 9.0 for Netware and backing up both Novell and Windows

    2000
    > servers. When my Windows 2000 server is backing up it is only getting
    > speeds of 116 MB/min but when it does the verify it is getting 376 MB/min.
    > Why would the verify be so much faster?

+ Reply to Thread