using media pool with BE 9 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on using media pool with BE 9 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I think the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I am forever optimistic! I am running BE 9 using 2 4mm DAT drives in a drive pool. My backup schedule is to backup each server nightly; 4 ...

  1. using media pool with BE 9

    I think the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I am forever optimistic!
    I am running BE 9 using 2 4mm DAT drives in a drive pool. My backup schedule
    is to backup each server nightly; 4 differential and 1 full backup per server
    per week. With one drive, I could set the job so that the first backup job
    unloaded the virus scanning software on the backup server, named the tape,
    and overwrote the existing data. Subsequent jobs were set to append and terminate
    if no appendable media was found. The last scheduled job ejected the tape
    and restarted the virus scanning software.

    Now that I have the 2 drives in a pool, the 2nd drive takes over whenever
    the 1st drive is working and a scheduled backup wants to start. This causes
    2 issues that I wonder can they be resolved...

    1. Is there any way to have the 2nd drive set to overwrite the
    tape on the first job sent to it?
    2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    the drive eject the tape?

    Is there a better way to do this? I guess I was hoping that having the 2
    drives in a pool would cause them to act as though there were 1 "virtual"
    drive, so to speak.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: using media pool with BE 9

    Good that you are optimistic!!!
    Are the 2 drives being used in a cascaded drivepool instead of a normal
    drivpool.
    Go to Drives-->DrivePools

    > 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    > the drive eject the tape?

    The policy associated with the backup job has one field in the pre-post
    option
    Jobs--->Policy--->Pre/Post Options
    Check the option "Eject media after job completes" But this applies to all
    tapes drives falling in the path of the backup jobs.

    "Jane Morris" wrote in message

    > I think the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I am forever

    optimistic!
    > I am running BE 9 using 2 4mm DAT drives in a drive pool. My backup

    schedule
    > is to backup each server nightly; 4 differential and 1 full backup per

    server
    > per week. With one drive, I could set the job so that the first backup job
    > unloaded the virus scanning software on the backup server, named the tape,
    > and overwrote the existing data. Subsequent jobs were set to append and

    terminate
    > if no appendable media was found. The last scheduled job ejected the tape
    > and restarted the virus scanning software.
    >
    > Now that I have the 2 drives in a pool, the 2nd drive takes over whenever
    > the 1st drive is working and a scheduled backup wants to start. This

    causes
    > 2 issues that I wonder can they be resolved...
    >
    > 1. Is there any way to have the 2nd drive set to overwrite the
    > tape on the first job sent to it?
    > 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    > the drive eject the tape?
    >
    > Is there a better way to do this? I guess I was hoping that having the 2
    > drives in a pool would cause them to act as though there were 1 "virtual"
    > drive, so to speak.
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: using media pool with BE 9

    No they are not cascaded-is that the secret?

    "newbie" wrote:
    >Good that you are optimistic!!!
    >Are the 2 drives being used in a cascaded drivepool instead of a normal
    >drivpool.
    >Go to Drives-->DrivePools
    >
    >> 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    >> the drive eject the tape?

    >The policy associated with the backup job has one field in the pre-post
    >option
    >Jobs--->Policy--->Pre/Post Options
    >Check the option "Eject media after job completes" But this applies to all
    >tapes drives falling in the path of the backup jobs.
    >
    >"Jane Morris" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I think the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I am forever

    >optimistic!
    >> I am running BE 9 using 2 4mm DAT drives in a drive pool. My backup

    >schedule
    >> is to backup each server nightly; 4 differential and 1 full backup per

    >server
    >> per week. With one drive, I could set the job so that the first backup

    job
    >> unloaded the virus scanning software on the backup server, named the tape,
    >> and overwrote the existing data. Subsequent jobs were set to append and

    >terminate
    >> if no appendable media was found. The last scheduled job ejected the tape
    >> and restarted the virus scanning software.
    >>
    >> Now that I have the 2 drives in a pool, the 2nd drive takes over whenever
    >> the 1st drive is working and a scheduled backup wants to start. This

    >causes
    >> 2 issues that I wonder can they be resolved...
    >>
    >> 1. Is there any way to have the 2nd drive set to overwrite the
    >> tape on the first job sent to it?
    >> 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    >> the drive eject the tape?
    >>
    >> Is there a better way to do this? I guess I was hoping that having the

    2
    >> drives in a pool would cause them to act as though there were 1 "virtual"
    >> drive, so to speak.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  4. Re: using media pool with BE 9

    Yes ,
    You should create a cascaded drivepool and put both the drives in
    it. And then start using this pool for backup. So now you will have one
    virtual drive.

    > No they are not cascaded-is that the secret?
    >
    > "newbie" wrote:
    > >Good that you are optimistic!!!
    > >Are the 2 drives being used in a cascaded drivepool instead of a normal
    > >drivpool.
    > >Go to Drives-->DrivePools
    > >
    > >> 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    > >> the drive eject the tape?

    > >The policy associated with the backup job has one field in the pre-post
    > >option
    > >Jobs--->Policy--->Pre/Post Options
    > >Check the option "Eject media after job completes" But this applies to

    all
    > >tapes drives falling in the path of the backup jobs.
    > >
    > >"Jane Morris" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I think the answer to this is "it can't be done", but I am forever

    > >optimistic!
    > >> I am running BE 9 using 2 4mm DAT drives in a drive pool. My backup

    > >schedule
    > >> is to backup each server nightly; 4 differential and 1 full backup per

    > >server
    > >> per week. With one drive, I could set the job so that the first backup

    > job
    > >> unloaded the virus scanning software on the backup server, named the

    tape,
    > >> and overwrote the existing data. Subsequent jobs were set to append and

    > >terminate
    > >> if no appendable media was found. The last scheduled job ejected the

    tape
    > >> and restarted the virus scanning software.
    > >>
    > >> Now that I have the 2 drives in a pool, the 2nd drive takes over

    whenever
    > >> the 1st drive is working and a scheduled backup wants to start. This

    > >causes
    > >> 2 issues that I wonder can they be resolved...
    > >>
    > >> 1. Is there any way to have the 2nd drive set to overwrite the
    > >> tape on the first job sent to it?
    > >> 2. Is there any way to have whatever job is the final job on
    > >> the drive eject the tape?
    > >>
    > >> Is there a better way to do this? I guess I was hoping that having the

    > 2
    > >> drives in a pool would cause them to act as though there were 1

    "virtual"
    > >> drive, so to speak.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!

  5. Re: using media pool with BE 9

    Thanks! I will try that today...

    "newbie" wrote:
    >Yes ,
    > You should create a cascaded drivepool and put both the drives

    in
    >it. And then start using this pool for backup. So now you will have one
    >virtual drive.
    >"Jane Morris" wrote in message
    >>
    >> No they are not cascaded-is that the secret?
    >>
    >> "newbie" wrote:
    >> >Good that you are optimistic!!!
    >> >Are the 2 drives being used in a cascaded drivepool instead of a normal
    >> >drivpool.
    >> >Go to Drives-->DrivePools

    >> >The policy associated with the backup job has one field in the pre-post
    >> >option
    >> >Jobs--->Policy--->Pre/Post Options
    >> >Check the option "Eject media after job completes" But this applies to

    >all
    >> >tapes drives falling in the path of the backup jobs.
    >> >
    >> >"Jane Morris" wrote in message

    >> >optimistic!
    >> >schedule

    per