Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT - Veritas Backup Exec ; we want to buy a tapelibrary (Compaq MSL5052SL)to backup some servers thru a SAN configuration. is it possible to restore files from Backups with the Tapelibrary thru standalone DLT/SDLT Tapedrives? Any suggestions? Thank you. Peter...

  1. Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT

    we want to buy a tapelibrary (Compaq MSL5052SL)to backup some servers thru
    a SAN configuration. is it possible to restore files from Backups with the
    Tapelibrary thru standalone DLT/SDLT Tapedrives? Any suggestions?

    Thank you.
    Peter

  2. Re: Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT

    That depends upon the media compatibily (i.e. DLT 4 media , DLT 1 media....
    blah blah ) between the new tape library and the standalone drive DLT/SDLT
    i.e. both types of drive can read and support the media from which u r
    trying to restore.
    Also before buying the new tape library check out whether the device is
    compatible with SAN env of BE 9.0 from the tech support site of veritas
    which provides the device compatibility list. It appears that libraries
    where both the drive and robotic arm are on the same SCSI target ID but
    different LUN's are not supported on SAN option of BE 9.0 Check this out
    with Veritas.
    "Peter Kroeber" wrote in message

    > we want to buy a tapelibrary (Compaq MSL5052SL)to backup some servers thru
    > a SAN configuration. is it possible to restore files from Backups with the
    > Tapelibrary thru standalone DLT/SDLT Tapedrives? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Peter

  3. Re: Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT

    the physical prerequisite are the same. All are SDLT (with DLT4 Media) in
    the library and standalone.
    It is more a logical question. BackupExec (without SAN Capabilities) stores
    the Catalogs on the Mediaserver and on the Tape. I think the GroupController
    in a SAN-Environment stores the catalogs. Are the catalogs as well on the
    tape? Is it possible that an "Standaloneserver" with local SDLT, can read
    the Tape/Catalog created in an Tapelibrary?

    thank you
    Peter

    "newbie" wrote:
    >That depends upon the media compatibily (i.e. DLT 4 media , DLT 1 media....
    >blah blah ) between the new tape library and the standalone drive DLT/SDLT
    >i.e. both types of drive can read and support the media from which u r
    >trying to restore.
    >Also before buying the new tape library check out whether the device is
    >compatible with SAN env of BE 9.0 from the tech support site of veritas
    >which provides the device compatibility list. It appears that libraries
    >where both the drive and robotic arm are on the same SCSI target ID but
    >different LUN's are not supported on SAN option of BE 9.0 Check this out
    >with Veritas.
    >"Peter Kroeber" wrote in message
    >>
    >> we want to buy a tapelibrary (Compaq MSL5052SL)to backup some servers

    thru
    >> a SAN configuration. is it possible to restore files from Backups with

    the
    >> Tapelibrary thru standalone DLT/SDLT Tapedrives? Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >> Peter

  4. Re: Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT

    Thank you very much, newbie.

    Greetings
    Peter

    -
    >SAN relationship (requirement) to answer the logical part of your query.
    >
    >"Peter Kroeber" wrote in message
    >>
    >> the physical prerequisite are the same. All are SDLT (with DLT4 Media)

    in
    >> the library and standalone.
    >> It is more a logical question. BackupExec (without SAN Capabilities)

    >stores
    >> the Catalogs on the Mediaserver and on the Tape. I think the

    >GroupController
    >> in a SAN-Environment stores the catalogs. Are the catalogs as well on

    the
    >> tape? Is it possible that an "Standaloneserver" with local SDLT, can read
    >> the Tape/Catalog created in an Tapelibrary?
    >>
    >> thank you
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "newbie" wrote:
    >> >That depends upon the media compatibily (i.e. DLT 4 media , DLT 1

    >media....
    >> >blah blah ) between the new tape library and the standalone drive

    >DLT/SDLT
    >> >i.e. both types of drive can read and support the media from which u

    >> >trying to restore.
    >> >Also before buying the new tape library check out whether the device

    is
    >> >compatible with SAN env of BE 9.0 from the tech support site of veritas
    >> >which provides the device compatibility list. It appears that libraries
    >> >where both the drive and robotic arm are on the same SCSI target ID but
    >> >different LUN's are not supported on SAN option of BE 9.0 Check this

    out
    >> >with Veritas.
    >> >"Peter Kroeber" wrote in message

    >> thru

    >> the

  5. Re: Tapelibrary vs. Standalone DLT

    > the physical prerequisite are the same. All are SDLT (with DLT4 Media) in
    > the library and standalone.
    > It is more a logical question. BackupExec (without SAN Capabilities)

    stores
    > the Catalogs on the Mediaserver and on the Tape. I think the

    GroupController
    > in a SAN-Environment stores the catalogs. Are the catalogs as well on the
    > tape? Is it possible that an "Standaloneserver" with local SDLT, can read
    > the Tape/Catalog created in an Tapelibrary?
    >
    > thank you
    > Peter
    >
    > "newbie" wrote:
    > >That depends upon the media compatibily (i.e. DLT 4 media , DLT 1

    media....
    > >blah blah ) between the new tape library and the standalone drive

    DLT/SDLT
    > >i.e. both types of drive can read and support the media from which u r
    > >trying to restore.
    > >Also before buying the new tape library check out whether the device is
    > >compatible with SAN env of BE 9.0 from the tech support site of veritas
    > >which provides the device compatibility list. It appears that libraries
    > >where both the drive and robotic arm are on the same SCSI target ID but
    > >different LUN's are not supported on SAN option of BE 9.0 Check this out
    > >with Veritas.
    > >"Peter Kroeber" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> we want to buy a tapelibrary (Compaq MSL5052SL)to backup some servers

    > thru
    > >> a SAN configuration. is it possible to restore files from Backups with

    > the
    > >> Tapelibrary thru standalone DLT/SDLT Tapedrives? Any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you.
    > >> Peter

+ Reply to Thread